What's new
What's new

Fuji DC Spindle Drive Repair

dave morgan

Aluminum
Hello all,

I have a Fuji FSD-37DN23 DC Drive that is in need of repair. It is out of a 1984 Ikegai VT1100. The drive was repaired a few months back and worked fine for a while then recently went down again. It was sent back to the repair facility under warranty but unfortunately they have informed me that it is beyond repair this time.

Ikegai tells me that the drive has been discontinued without replacement.

Does anyone happen to know of a repair source that can possibly resurrect this drive or where I may be able to locate a replacement?

Thanks,

Dave

I had a 80's Mori with a 25hp DC spindle drive that I had spent about 12G
trying to keep running over about a 3 year period. Had it converted to an AC VFD ,New AC motor and a Teco Westinghouse Controller for about the price of repairing the DC
spindle drive. It's been running without a glitch for about 30 years now.

Thanks for the input.

Converting to VFD is an option that I may be forced to use.

I was hoping to stay with the DC as I just had the 37 KW motor rebuilt including the field coil rewind so I have a good chunk of change into it and only about 20 hours of run time on it.

mc3608 did you up the HP of the AC replacement motor? Do you have any issues running at low RPM?

Dave

Thanks for the input.

Converting to VFD is an option that I may be forced to use.

I was hoping to stay with the DC as I just had the 37 KW motor rebuilt including the field coil rewind so I have a good chunk of change into it and only about 20 hours of run time on it.

mc3608 did you up the HP of the AC replacement motor? Do you have any issues running at low RPM?

Dave

I replaced the 25hp DC motor with a 25hp Ac. It runs thru a geared spindle and have never
had an issue with power at low or any rpm, also the CSS still works.

It worked so well that I had 2 more of the 80's machines converted and have never had a Glitch.

I would go AC, but if you can't or won't then look at what Bardac offers. They can configure a new DC drive to work with your old control. I would still go AC though.

Maybe need to talk to some place like this then. I don't have any experience with them. I have heard of the brand is all.

Polyspede Electronics Corporation | Variable Speed Drives and Inverters for Automation

DON'T!! I tried one on a 10HP Dc spindle. Miserable pig to set up and never got it right, wouldn't set the correct speed as a replacement for Fanuc.

Went with the above mentioned AC motor and a VFD. If you can get the right motor try to pulley the speed down and increase the top end Hz.
That will give you a better low end for torque.

Ed.

Thanks for the input and possible replacement sources.

The DC motor on this VTL has two speeds 1150 and 3500 RPM that can be changed via M38/M39 or a toggle and pushbutton on the control.

Would I be able to retain this feature with the AC conversion?

atex57, was that a Digital or Analog drive that gave you problems?

Dave

.......The DC motor on this VTL has two speeds 1150 and 3500 RPM that can be changed via M38/M39 or a toggle and pushbutton on the control.

Would I be able to retain this feature with the AC conversion......

That sounds like shifting ranges in a 2 speed gearbox to me. If it is, then changing to an AC setup would not change it.

Vancbiker this machine also has a two speed gearbox. High and Low Ranges of the gear box are selected manually with a lever.

With the motor in low I can get a max of 90 or 280 rpm respectively at chuck

With the motor in high I can get 270 with the gearbox in low and possibly up to 800 in high but I never had it over 400 rpm.

Dave

Then the M code speed changes must be switching the field windings from a 2 pole (high speed) configuration to a 4 pole (low speed) configuration. I have never worked on a motor set up like that.

In any case you would probably not need to do that with an AC conversion. You could, but it would require some additional interfacing. It probably would also mean a "standard" 3 phase motor would not be useable.

Hello all,

I have a Fuji FSD-37DN23 DC Drive that is in need of repair. It is out of a 1984 Ikegai VT1100. The drive was repaired a few months back and worked fine for a while then recently went down again. It was sent back to the repair facility under warranty but unfortunately they have informed me that it is beyond repair this time.

Ikegai tells me that the drive has been discontinued without replacement.

Does anyone happen to know of a repair source that can possibly resurrect this drive or where I may be able to locate a replacement?

Thanks,

Dave

I just parted out two ikegai with Fanuc 6T and have two spindle drives in front of me.
give me a part # and we can work out a deal

Solidworkscadman,

I don’t have an Ikegia part number only have the Fuji numbers
on the drive FSD-37DN23. My control is a 10T

022.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Solidworkscadman,

Thanks for checking what you have.

Vancbiker,

The the motor is a Separately Excited DC Motor. I am not really sure how the high and low speed ranges are controlled.

Dave

.......The the motor is a Separately Excited DC Motor. I am not really sure how the high and low speed ranges are controlled......

I think that every DC spindle motor I have seen has been a separately excited type. Machine builders used that type to get a wider speed adjustability range than can be obtained by a series wound or shunt wound type.

If you have the electrical schematics covering the spindle motor connections it would be nice if you could post a large, clear scan of them. I'd be interested to see what they are doing with the M38/M39.

Back