What's new
What's new

Fungal Issues?? Green Bubbles in coolant / Mould!?

Bjc

Plastic
Hi guys

Im having some issues with my coolant. My lathe had been sat idle for about 2 weeks and when I returned, there was a musty/mildew type smell to the coolant. Over the next few days it got worse and mould looking stuff started to form on the top of the coolant. It was greenish in colour, and kind of bubbly.

I decide to dump and refill with a fresh batch (and change my coolant whilst I was at it) I got hold of some new coolant (Hocut 4260) and also some Contram CB3 system cleaner. The rep advised me to add the cleaner to the tank and run it through the system for 24 hours. Which I did, annoyingly this seemed to bring up some of the Mould through the system and dump it straight onto my swaf conveyor. In hindsight, this may have been a little silly as what seem to originally just be confined to the tank had now gotten everywhere. Anyways, after 24 hours I drained the tank, then made up a 1% mix of the Contram CB3 and wiped everything down as best I could. The problem now was that the deposits on the swarf conveyor were a nightmare to clean. I did the best I could but there was no way of getting it spotless. That would have been impossible. Even on wiping down the surfaces with the 1% soulution, I was getting green flakes floating on the top of what looked like some sort of green Fungus??

I then left the tank empty for 1 week over Christmas, as per the reps suggestion and refill once back. I came back and some of the coolant had drained back into the tank from the machine. No sign of Mould or slime, which was a good sign. I then refilled with new coolant.

Almost immediately I noticed something similar floating on the top. (Green bubbles) that dont look like tramp oil. Im hoping that this might be left over residue of dead fungus that I have killed that have washed back down into the tank, but im not holding my breathe. Also I notices that when I wiped around the side of the tank just below the surface of the coolant, there is a blacky green slime. Im assuming this couldnt be tramp oil? I left the system running for 4 hours, pulled the tank out and then skimmed evrything that was floating on the coolant and wiped the sides down again.

This is where Im at with it. When I left it tonight it looked brand new, So I guess ill find out in the morning if its all returned.

Looking for any advice or information of anyone thats had anything similar? Ive trawled the internet and can find more information on bacteria infections than I can Fungal. All the info I do find on Fungal seems to indicate its harder to treat than bacteria...

Also, finding it hard to find fungicides. I know Rocol do one (Ultraguard FX I think) are there any other options and possible ones that aren't so harmful if you breathe in the mist/vapour. Ventilation isn't great in my shop so would love to use something as operator friendly as possible if it comes to it.

Really hoping to go into good news tomorrow and it hasnt come back, but I will keep you posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can upload a few stills if needs be also.

Thanks

Adding a cheap aquarium bubbler may eliminate the growth in the tank and the smell. Less than $20 on amazon. I had similar issues as my lathe often sits without use for weeks, and the bubbler entirely prevented stuff growing in the coolant (Hangsterfers S-506). No fungicides/bactericides needed. Growth of surface scum had been a significant problem before.

I got turned on to this idea by an old thread on PM here discussing people getting sick from coolant. Turns out most of the nasty bacteria that grows in coolant sumps is anaerobic. Coolants are formulated to stay clean and relatively low-bacteria in an aerated state (think about how aerated the stuff gets when splashing on a spinning part/tool). When oxygen levels drop as the coolant sits stagnant, nasty anerobic bacteria form, which is probably what you are seeing (the flakes/slime). Bacteria can create pretty durable biofilm colonies, either on a surface or free-floating. So don't think its a fungus just because you see "stuff."

Lots to read in old threads here on PM if you search "aerate coolant" or "coolant bacteria"

Its nothing to worry about thats the grime and crap that gets in a chip conveyor. it happened on every lathe I have owned since the beginning of time. makes no difference what type of coolant your using either. Ive always noticed it more when I am turning hot rolled alloys and alum. basically its dirt particles.

just skim it off you will be fine.

Thanks all

Went back today. No sign of anything nasty and added an air stone to oxygenate the water. Will keep updated if it takes a turn for the worse

Back