What's new
What's new

G - Code

NX - CAM

Plastic
Hi, I am new to this forum and in learning process of CNC programming.
Question : I am using NX9-CAM to generate the G-code for my parts.
The controller ProtoTRAK SMX (we are using) doesn't recognize all G codes.
For example codes G28, G43, G70 are not recognized.
What need to be done in this case ?

Welcome to the thread! If it is a ProtoTrak, it should have conversational program. We don't use G and M codes on ours.

Prototrak controls will run G-code. That’s what they are built on in the back ground like most conversational systems. You just need to find the right post from the CAM software. I think it was a fanuc one going by memory, but which fanuc one I can’t remember. Failing that, you can just edit the CAM to create the post you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing you'll need to do is finding out from the ProtoTRAK doc what Gcodes are recognized by your ProtoTRAK model, or whatever substitute those you are having issue with.

For the NX CAM part: Start PostBuilder (Windows Start > Programs > Siemens NX9 > Manufacturing > Post Builder), open your Post Processor file, and replace the reference to G28 (eg replace with G90 G0 X0Y0Z0) and do the same for G43, G70.

G28
Program & toolpath top Tab > Program Tab > Program End Sequence

G43
Program & toolpath top Tab > Program Tab > Operation Start Sequence
<and>
Program & toolpath top Tab > Program Tab > Toolpath > Motion

G70
Couldn't find this one, in the fanuc post I have here nayway

Prototraks are fussy critters. Almost any code created by CAM will need to be hand edited. You will have to learn to read and edit code.

Having said that however the CAM software is giving you a big head start over pure hand coding. My advice is to compare coded at the machine output with CAM output for identical parts and the differences will quickly become clear. A good code editor will make life easier vs using something like notepad.

Yes, that I will try to do, compare two simple G-codes, one from NX and one from ProtoTRAK.
What is a good Editor ?
I was reading about ... MATLAB has this capability !?

Prototraks are fussy critters. Almost any code created by CAM will need to be hand edited. You will have to learn to read and edit code.

Having said that however the CAM software is giving you a big head start over pure hand coding. My advice is to compare coded at the machine output with CAM output for identical parts and the differences will quickly become clear. A good code editor will make life easier vs using something like notepad.

Yes, that I will try to do, compare two simple G-codes, one from NX and one from ProtoTRAK.
What is a good Editor ?
I was reading about ... MATLAB has this capability !?

There are plenty of PP for the ProtoTRAK in your gtac/pb_posts/ folder have a look, few others you can copy ideas from:
GTAC: Siemens PLM Software
Instructions to download: Right click each file and "Save target as" on your local system.

And this as a prog-and-forget to make NX deal with your controller (eg SetMachiningData):
https://solutions.industrysoftware....dt=nx-api&file_type=text&i=nx_api5968&k=7&o=0

How did you end up with NX CAM?
Matlab?!

Back