What's new
What's new

G10L50 Troubles on Fanuc 18T

Nerdlinger

Stainless
Hi Everyone!

Frank's thread on using G31 torque skip caught my attention and I learned a lot, but when we go to temporarily change the value of the torque limit parameter via:

;
G10L50;
N2060P4R700;
G11;
;

we get a "000 TURN POWER OFF" alarm :ack2: The value of the parameter DOES change, but it is asking us to turn the power off...thus making the use of that feature pretty worthless. We tried it both in MDI and in MEM, both with "parameter write" enabled and disabled but to no avail.

We are trying to use it in order to use G31 torque skip. We tried a G31 move in MDI and it DID move without any alarm, so we feel we are close.

Does anyone know if there is perhaps a parameter that must be changed in order to enable G10L50 to work without having to power down the machine or are we SOL? (Ox/Bill - I'm looking in your direction :D)

The machine is a mid-90's Hardinge T42 with Fanuc 18T control.

Thank you!

Last edited:
This is normal for certain parameters. The machine must be shut down and powered on again to reread the parameters. Why do you want to change the value each time the program is run. Can't you just change it once and leave it until it needs changing again?

Paul

I am trying to use it with a G31 "torque skip" path, whereby you temporarily change the parameter value for the torque limit on a certain axis and if that limit is exceeded the code "skips" the rest of whatever move it was trying to make in the G31 line and instead goes right to the next line. From there you can do things like check to see if the position of your axis made it to where you programmed it to go on the G31 line. If it IS you know you did NOT exceed the torque limit...if it is NOT you can assume you exceeded the torque limit and the control bailed on the G31 line before it finished it and then you can branch your way to an alarm or what have you. Immediately after that path one typically goes right back into the G10L50 to reset the value of the torque limit to whatever it was originally...so it is only changed for a short while.

Here is the thread that originally caught my attention to this strategy:

How to use G31 torque skip

I had some time on my T42 yesterday, so I tried to do the parameter changes. When setting parameter 2060 both manually and with G10, it gives the 000 alarm- same results as you.

I also tried just lowering the Z axis torque limit and running the machine like that. I got an axis overload alarm when just trying to rapid the machine, so that won't work. You need to be able to change the parameter in the program and then change it back- at least if you want to be able to rapid the machine at full speed.

Okay so at least I’m not crazy haha! Most of the jobs we’re doing little more than just holding the part during cutoff so there’s no burr and maybe chamfering the back side. Sooo feeding instead of rapiding MAY still be an option for us. We should be able to test this next week. Thanks, again!

Back