Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My main problem here was not understanding what my CAM program offers in addition to not really knowing the basics

Inventor HSM has these options: (I've been getting along up to this point by using "stock to leave")

wear.jpg

In computer is what I usually use, no G41
    In control does nothing, so everything is in the control.
    "Wear" is G41
    "Inverse wear" is G42

So, I'm now using "wear" on the bores which is working great, G41 comes on and goes off where it should.

Brother manual says

"Tool dia offset amt. = Tool dia. compensation + Tool dia. wear compensation"

In the data table on the machine, I have entries for both the two values on the right. Either one gives me the result as they are added. What I'm really compensating for is tool deflection (longer stickout).

Thanks for the help

2. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    ..."Wear" is G41
    "Inverse wear" is G42
    That's a little confusing. Here's how I think about it.

There are two ways to program a toolpath. You can specify the center of spindle, or the edge of the part. Programming center of spindle, the toolpath includes the tool radius. Programming edge of part, it does not include tool radius.

If you program center of spindle, since the tool diameter is incorporated into the toolpath, the geometry (radius) offset in the control stays at zero. Your wear comp is (usually) a negative number, typically used for undersize cutters. The wear offset is where you make your adjustments to control feature size.

With a 1" diameter cutter: G01 G41 Y0.5 puts the edge of the tool at Y1.0 when the geometry offset is zero. The center of the spindle is at Y0.5.

If you program the edge of the part, the geometry offset is used, and it's a positive number. Normally the tool radius (some machines use diameter) goes into the geo offset. The wear offset is used to adjust feature size, same as the other method.

With a 1" cutter: G01 G41 Y1.0 puts the edge of the cutter at Y1.0 when the geometry offset is .5". The center of the spindle is at Y0.5.

G41/42 specifies which side of the cut the tool is on. G41 is the left side, G42 is the right side. So G41 is always a climb cut, and G42 is always a conventional cut. (assuming normal right hand cutters...)

Whichever way you work, you should always call up and drop the offset on a linear (G01) move. The amount of lead-in and lead-out has to be a larger number than the value in the offset register.

4. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    Because I live in a cave. Perpetual license.. no maintenance, no updates, and I like it
    Fusion 360 is less than $300 right now LOL

ETA: can't you just download the post form the online library, stick it on a USB stick and install it?

6. Likes gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Fusion 360 is less than $300 right now LOL

ETA: can't you just download the post form the online library, stick it on a USB stick and install it?
    The current post doesn't work for me. I've tried. I'm not sure exactly why, but I assume it's my old version. When I got my machine a couple years ago, the "current" post did work and that's what I'm using. It has some nice mods mostly thanks to FredS here and on HSM forum. The current issue turns out to be a non issue for G41.

F360 is like bring back remote control cars that can only turn left by backing up. If you've never had anything better (millenials), I suppose it's great. I mostly hate it but for probably very different reasons than typically listed on the raging pro/con threads on the subject For me it's all about speed and keystrokes (my experience until a couple years ago has been on the CAD side). Pro-E was the best ever, but that was long ago. Catia defines the crappy end of the spectrum for user friendly and F360 is right there with it, actually worse. I don't do insanely complex stuff and carpel tunnel has been an issue for me. Oh and my shop internet is from my phone, so F360 sucks even more.

Then there's ADSK with their AI, iterating my designs in the night and selling them to China. No f(*&ing thanks and I know will if they aren't doing that already.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just making a quick joke, because in my experience Inventor/HSM and Fusion are practically the same thing, with Fusion 360 having a much better interface. I have only used Inventor starting in 2018 so no idea on the older versions. Not trying to actually fanboi; no one program is a panacea and everyone has different needs.

I used Inventor/HSM and Solidworks/HSMWorks in addition to Powermill and Esprit at my last job. I had a blank check if I wanted Mastercam, NX, Catia, Pro-E, Hypermill, whatever. We got together a bunch of guys and found out that Fusion 360 was the absolute easiest way to get guys programming their own parts for minimal training input and cost. Esprit and Powermill were very powerful, but painful to use next to the HSM kernel. Fusion 360 has its own set of problems, and I see many of them every day since I program on the road and often without internet.

It's like the Hurco or Haas of CAD/CAM. No, it isn't a panacea, but it is ubiquitous, easy, and makes good parts.

In the end, all software sucks just like all women are crazy! Just gotta find the one you can get along with.