What's new
What's new

G43 does not execute

pmanoj

Plastic
Hello. I use Paratec PV5 machining center with Mitsubishi Meldas 60 controller.* After I set Z value of the surface, tool length, and offset tool and started the operation.* The Z value shown in the position page does not equal to zero when the tip of the tool touched the surface of workpiece.* *It seems like G43 did not execute properly. What is wrong with G43 and how can I fix it?* Thank you.

Hello. I use Paratec PV5 machining center with Mitsubishi Meldas 60 controller.* After I set Z value of the surface, tool length, and offset tool and started the operation.* The Z value shown in the position page does not equal to zero when the tip of the tool touched the surface of workpiece.* *It seems like G43 did not execute properly. What is wrong with G43 and how can I fix it?* Thank you.

possibly you have to reset Z value of surface (using work offset) AFTER tool length comp is active and work offset is active. often G54 is default after pressing reset button but many use G55. there usually is a screen saying what gcodes are active.
work offset will obviously effect position readout. many a part has been scrapped cause suppose to be using G55 work offset and G54 was active

Hello pmanoj,
If I understand you correctly, after the Tool and Workshift Offsets have been set, and the program is executed, the tool is able to go the correct Z position, but the Position Display is incorrect. If this is the case, the G43 function is working fine. If you use Plus Offsets for the Tool Length Offset (from tip of tool to the Gauge Line of the Tool Holder Taper - Spindle Nose), then the program would have driven the tool into the Workpiece if the G43 did not function. If you use Minus Offset Values, (the Air Gap between the Tool Tip and Setting Device), then its likely the tool won't get anywhere near the Z Zero of the Workpiece with G43 not working.

If the Tool Tip is going to the correct position, but the display value is not what you expect, then its likely to be a parameter setting. Parameters can be set that will allow for the position display count with and without the Offset included. I don't have a parameter manual in front of me at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact parameter number, but it will be found in the high end of the 1200 parameters (1270s to 1290s, or there about). Read up on it; I'm sure you will be able to work it out. If not, come back to the Forum and I. or other Forum members will be able to advise you of the parameter to change.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
If the Tool Tip is going to the correct position, but the display value is not what you expect, then its likely to be a parameter setting. Parameters can be set that will allow for the position display count with and without the Offset included. I don't have a parameter manual in front of me at the moment, so I can't tell you the exact parameter number, but it will be found in the high end of the 1200 parameters (1270s to 1290s, or there about). Read up on it; I'm sure you will be able to work it out. If not, come back to the Forum and I. or other Forum members will be able to advise you of the parameter to change.

Could it be Parameter 1287?
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Hello Bill,

I tried to change parameter 1287 one by one, but there is still no effect. Looking at the position screen, X and Y values all matched correctly. However, the Z value turned out to be 89.726 instead of 50. Do you know what went wrong?
IMG_6928.jpg
IMG_6929.jpg

Thank you,
pmanoj

On that control you can zero out the values in the position screen by hitting "Z" (or X or Y) and then "INPUT"

Where I would be focusing is the Machine and G56 co ordinates on the next picture. What is the tool offset that you have for H10? Do you have an actual holder in and is it 50 off the part after you have executed that program?

How are you setting your height of your part? I know on that control that you can be in your offsets page and jog your tool to your part and just hit "INPUT" to set the tool length from a known height. I personally don't do it that way because it has given me some weird results so I just use a master tool that has H0.0. Then when touched off I go to the screen in your first pic and hit "Z" "INPUT". Touch the next tool off and the difference between them is that tools length offset.

On that control you can zero out the values in the position screen by hitting "Z" (or X or Y) and then "INPUT"

Where I would be focusing is the Machine and G56 co ordinates on the next picture. What is the tool offset that you have for H10? Do you have an actual holder in and is it 50 off the part after you have executed that program?

How are you setting your height of your part? I know on that control that you can be in your offsets page and jog your tool to your part and just hit "INPUT" to set the tool length from a known height. I personally don't do it that way because it has given me some weird results so I just use a master tool that has H0.0. Then when touched off I go to the screen in your first pic and hit "Z" "INPUT". Touch the next tool off and the difference between them is that tools length offset.

For tool offset and work offset, I used a reference point which is the work table plus 50. I also used G53, G54, G56, etc. for the offset of my workpieces because I want the machine to run more than one part at the same time.

Isn't G53 on the offset page a work offset shift? Or how does your work offset page look? Maybe take a pic of your tool offset and work offset page for us to look at.

Isn't G53 on the offset page a work offset shift? Or how does your work offset page look? Maybe take a pic of your tool offset and work offset page for us to look at.

Hello NAST555,
With the Meldas control, G53 is actually an Offset from the Basic Machine Coordinate System Zero. The Control doesn't have a G52, as with a Fanuc Control, for setting a Child Workshift Offset from the General Workshift Offset being used.

Regards,

Bill

I was mistaken, sorry about that. It is actually G54 to G59. The first two attached photos are what my screen kind of looked like at the moment. I want my screen to display something like the third attached picture. How can I do that?

have.jpg
IMG_6944.jpg
want.jpg

Thanks,
pmanoj

Back