What's new
What's new

g73 revisited

pi

Stainless
what is the best rpm for cooking a turkey in a lathe? i would like to fill the coolant tank with butter and put a basting brush in a tool holder and use the g73 cyle to baste the turkey while it's cooking. can someone give me a prgram example? or maybe equinox could help me write a macro.

I like to use double back gear on the ol' engine lathe, around 5RPM or so.

On a CNC though - do you have live tooling? Would make a fine way to carve the bird. Maybe peck it with a U-drill to get a serving of stuffing too.

That should be easy, because basting a turkey would be O.D. work. Not I.d. work.

Don't use too high of an rpm. It will cause burning on the outside before it's fully cooked on the inside.

Brass chips work nice for stuffing, and the color makes it presentable for even the pickiest of eaters.

Always use uncoated inserts for carving when cooking is done. They are the sharpest. Be sure it has a good chip breaker (meat breaker?) so you get little pieces for the kids.

You may want to use the tailstock with a bullnose center to prevent the stuffing from flying all over when cooking.

Splitting the wishbone can be done with a subspindle, but most people still prefer the oldfashioned manual way. Some people are so stuck in the past.

Well, I prefer filling the coolant tank with the stuffing instead or plain butter. It is much easier to apply it into the bird using a large insert drill.
Make sure the OD is properly prepared before though.

yes i have live tooling. it's an integrex.
i tried to write a g73 program and instead of basting the od the basting tool acts like a g74 cycle and keeps f'ucking the bird in the a'ss.
5 rpm? you think i'm f'cuking stupid? i'm gonna start out with 2 rpm. you have no f'uckin clue what you're talkin about.

Actually, it doesn't matter what we tell Pi to run the turkey at. He will probably just turn it up a little at a time, even if we tell him he can do much better.

Pi,

Turkey is one of the easiest birds to machine. But, you've got to make sure the first cut gets under the skin. You should really be running it at about 1500 rpm and using a ceramic baster.

Don't be stupid and try to cook it with the door open. I once had a drumstick fly off, which threw the turkey badly out of balance. If I'd have had the door open, I'm pretty sure I'd have eaten that one

:D

Bah! Door interlocks. I think the modern world has gone crazy over safety. Kids nowadays come in, press a few buttons and stupidly watch the machine do the basting for them, and they think they are full fledged turkey basters.

I had to work for 10,0000 hours before I got my journeyman's turkey baster card. I started at the bench, filing and scraping turkeys within a half thou of perfection. I really doubt that these new kids would even know which end of a turkey to start scraping at, because they didn't start out on the manual turkey basting machines, like I did.

America is doomed. All the guys who can still run a manual turkey baster are getting up in their 50's and 60's. But every idiot wants his turkey basted in China now because its cheaper. When you buy a Chinese basted turkey, you're cutting the throat of an American turkey.

We all want to drive home with a butterball turkey, but at the rate things are going, with idiot turkey basters basting for nothing, we're all going to end up in the s'hitter

i work with plenty of old pro's who are telling me the feeds and speeds you are giving me are rediculous. and these guys know what they are doing. they are master basters. the last thing i want to do is wreck my boss' machine...again.

Hey HFD. if you think i'm so stupid to run this turkey at 1500rpm you are the one that's stupid. so STFU....WEEEEEE

can somebody tell me where to get a good basting tool? i wanna go fast, real fast. i'm gonna start out with a .001" doc and go up from there first thing monday morning.
I'll let you all know what happens. WEEEEE

Pi,

Get yourself a copy of the Master Basters' Handbook. You can find all this information in there. It's good reading. I think you've been told this a couple times now. For cryin' out loud, just get it and read it. There's even an entire chapter on the machinability of a butterball turkey, a Jennie-O turkey, and even sliced turkey.

Pi,
Have you ever even seen a real turkey? Or do you just sit around listening to stories about the master basters of the old country all day?

Have you ever heard of Baster Cam? That is what you need to use to program your basting tools.

Get your s'tupid boss to buy you some decent basting tools. Like Dave said, get the handbook and get a copy of the McBaster and Carr catalogue. Even you could learn something instead of bugging us smart guys with your s'tupid questions.

just because i dont have 10,000 hours basting experience does not mean i am stupid. of course i have a masterbaster's handbook butt munch. who doesn't? sure i know how to use bastercam. i have it in the company office on a pc hooked into a live internet feed. i have posted much of my stuff on www.teenmasterbasters.com. once everyone is out to lunch the first thing i do is go into the office and start practicing my basting. but bastercam is only a 2d program. my f'ucking turkey is a 3d part idiots.
since no one can tell me what's wrong with my program i assume none of you stupid guys are masterbasters either. just admit it. you guys dont know. it's not me, it's you.

I just give up!! :mad: This guy claims he's learning real fast, then comes on here to ask how to baste a turkey. No matter how much we tell him, he then tells us, the people he's asking help from, that we are the ones who are wrong. It looks like Solar was right all along. This guy is just blowing smoke.

Hey pi, maybe there's another baster on ebay you can buy, and then ask us what inserts to use. Or, have one of the eastern block guys turn down the baster shank for ya. Geez! :rolleyes:

Back