GE 1050HLX MSD dropped - need help to re-enter it
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default GE 1050HLX MSD dropped - need help to re-enter it

    I've had a old Turnex lathe for about 4 years and (presumably) the backup batteries finally drained on it during a extensive down periods dropping the Machine Setup Data (MSD).

    Problem is, at least in part, I am missing the red book (GEK 25340 book) for the machine so I am uncertain how to manually enter the MSD back in to the machine (A first time for everything it seems). I do have a print out of the original MSD sheet - for manual entry. I DO NOT have the original MSD "tape" nor is the tape reader hooked up in the machine any longer though it is present.

    If anyone knows how or remembers (Its been 30 years since this system seen its hey day) how to enter the MSD manually please post or message me the steps to complete this data entry process.

    Many thanks in advance,
    ~Terry S

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    2,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    329
    Likes (Received)
    689

    Default

    I seem to recall that you entered "MSDMSD" before loading the tape. If you can't get the info, I have a friend with an 1050 on a Stripit punch and I can ask them. Send me an e-mail at dmcgearsatyahoo.com if you need the info and I'll call them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N.E. PA
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    249

    Default

    you just punch in the msd numbers into the machine. There is a switch that you change inside on the door of the control.
    i think you hit p3 on the control and then you punch in the msd values. Send me a fax number and I can give you all the info for the msd setup.

    John

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    Yes. There is a toggle switch in the door of the "blue (control) box". Turn the control off, turn the flick the switch to it's UP position, then turn the control on. The screen will prompt you to to hit "P3" I think, then it will go to the parameter page.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    I opened up the covers and was not able to locate any switch that looked like it might be the one being mentioned. Attached are a few pictures of what I uncovered inside the control area's of the machine.

    control-box-1.jpg

    control-box-2.jpg

    pendant.jpg


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N.E. PA
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    249

    Default

    Just realized you have an 1050hlX X has a full screen and is different than the HL and may not have the switch or it may not be in the same place


    John

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amdinc View Post
    Just realized you have an 1050hlX X has a full screen and is different than the HL and may not have the switch or it may not be in the same place


    John


    I have lathes with BOTH controls. They BOTH have the switch...in the same place. I am not sure I saw a pic of the inside of the control's DOOR, that is where the switch is. Next to the rack of BOARDS. It is right near where the program back-up batteries (4 ni-cad "D" batteries) go. When you open the control's door, keep your hand on it...look in the door, all along the areas inside the control box DOOR. If it was a snake, it would have bit you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    I see the inside of the door pic now. Look to the left of it. It isn't in the picture, but it should be just to the left. A little higher or lower, but just to the left. Metal toggle switch.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amdinc View Post
    Just realized you have an 1050hlX X has a full screen and is different than the HL and may not have the switch or it may not be in the same place
    John
    Good to know, I'm not real familiar with this machine - picked it up some time back essentially "Sight unseen / operational status unknown" but at a good price. Over the following year I managed to get it up and running again (ROM? Board had some bad chips - place in Michigan fixed the board for me). Beyond that all I can go from is the manuals that came with the machine.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdj View Post
    I have lathes with BOTH controls. They BOTH have the switch...in the same place. I am not sure I saw a pic of the inside of the control's DOOR, that is where the switch is. Next to the rack of BOARDS. It is right near where the program back-up batteries (4 ni-cad "D" batteries) go. When you open the control's door, keep your hand on it...look in the door, all along the areas inside the control box DOOR. If it was a snake, it would have bit you.
    WIN-GO! EXACTLY where you said it would be, right square behind the battery transformer! If I were a foot shorter I'd seen it clear as day but at 6 foot it lines up EXACTLY behind the transformer!

    jdj - I can't thank you enough for the "visual road map" to the switch - Gonna head out and see if I can figure out the MSD entry and will update shortly. You wouldn't happen to have the books for this controller would you? 4 books came with the machine - the tan and blue books (most of 2 of each - had to piece together 1 full copy as best as I could from the 4 books) but don't have the red book and am not 100% sure I have ALL of the blue / tan books - I was wondering if there would be anyway to get copies made if you have access to the books? (Can't hurt to ask)

    Pics attached in case someone else needs to find this little switch also!
    rack1.jpg

    switch1.jpg

    ~Terry S

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    WEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

    The old girl is back alive! (Y and Z movement and G-coding was loadable to memory)

    2 small issues thus far - I am getting a "09 Estop error" now when ever it self tests and I am getting a "23 Tool Data file checksum Error" that I am diving into the books to research.

  11. Likes jdj liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N.E. PA
    Posts
    802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TbcSEOD View Post
    WEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

    The old girl is back alive! (Y and Z movement and G-coding was loadable to memory)

    2 small issues thus far - I am getting a "09 Estop error" now when ever it self tests and I am getting a "23 Tool Data file checksum Error" that I am diving into the books to research.

    I have no information on the 09 error but that might be an OEM generated error. The 23 error is caused when you do not have any data in the tool data file. Just enter 0.0 in the x and z file of the first tool 1. I think you only need one tool entered but if not enter the 0.0 in all the tool positions. I guess you have changed the battery. The little one is the one that affects the MSD and tool data.

    John

  13. Likes jdj liked this post
  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    23 error is from not having any tool OFFSET, you CAN (at least the way I have the parameters set) have nothing in the tool DATA. You were very close amdinc. 0.0001 for X and Z will do the job. A #9 error doesn't sound familiar at all. I will look into it today. I have the "Red" book. It is electric technicalities. IIRC. Is that what you wanted?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    I have one of the "red" books for the 1050 HL controls, but not the HLX. LOTS of similarities between the two, though.
    It is basically a technical manual of the ladder and other things that may be more for electronics technicians. Over my head, to say the least.
    #9 error says that it is an air chuck/cycle start conflict. U got an air chuck on this thing? Is the switch in good working order? Cycle start button clean and "freed-up"?

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amdinc View Post
    I have no information on the 09 error but that might be an OEM generated error. The 23 error is caused when you do not have any data in the tool data file. Just enter 0.0 in the x and z file of the first tool 1. I think you only need one tool entered but if not enter the 0.0 in all the tool positions. I guess you have changed the battery. The little one is the one that affects the MSD and tool data.

    John
    I did make up 2 new battery packs (using 2x 4 d cell battery holders in series) and hard soldered them to the connection pins.

    The 09 error was caused by two hand written modification on the MSD sheet - I reentered the MSD using the original scratched out numbers and everything is good to go on that code now.

    The 23 error was in fact cleared by entering "0" for the 1st tool offsets

    At this point is seems to be back up and running again - just to note, I found in hard soldering the battery packs that if one pack has a broken circuit (IE Missing or shorted battery) it will give a 10.00a Data Control Ram data corruption code that is no where in my documentation (At the time I only had batteries in 1 of the 2 packs) code went away once batteries were installed and just to verify I replicated the code 3 times so if anyone ever gets that critter, check/replace the batteries in the pack - it has a broken circuit between the 2 positive pins and the negative pin

    ~T

  17. Likes jdj liked this post
  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, Co
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdj View Post
    I have one of the "red" books for the 1050 HL controls, but not the HLX. LOTS of similarities between the two, though.
    It is basically a technical manual of the ladder and other things that may be more for electronics technicians. Over my head, to say the least.
    #9 error says that it is an air chuck/cycle start conflict. U got an air chuck on this thing? Is the switch in good working order? Cycle start button clean and "freed-up"?

    I would be interested in arranging a copy of the red book you have if that's possible, either having it copied local and the copy sent to me or having the book sent to me and copied here and then mailed back - either way I'd cover the costs if we moved forward on this

    My MOOG has a hydraulic chuck - the MSD I have had 2 numbers scratched out with handwritten ones next to them so that's what we used. When I reentered the MSD we read though the scratch out and entered the original numbers and shes back up and running Its possible the 2 numbers were changed at some point in the machines life when it had a air chuck hooked up verses the hydro (Origonal piece) that's on it now?

    Either way, it ran a part today and I could not have been happier! The machine is 33 years old but its the work horse cnc lathe in my small shop and without it we've been dead in the water. No new parts being made means no new money coming in and that made me (and a few others....) sad

    ~T

  19. Likes jdj liked this post
  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    detroit,mich.
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4710
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TbcSEOD View Post
    I would be interested in arranging a copy of the red book you have if that's possible, either having it copied local and the copy sent to me or having the book sent to me and copied here and then mailed back - either way I'd cover the costs if we moved forward on this

    ~T

    Private message me your address, and I will send it to you.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •