What's new
What's new

General drilling

Bones288

Plastic
How do I reduce the rats nest that collects on my 1/8" drill bits in 1018CR?

Larger pecks than 1D? Sharper tools?

Any 'best practices' that you guys/gals have is appreciated.

Thx.

Smaller pecks = shorter strings and less buildup. Heavier feed usually reduces buildup as well but you can only go so fast with a 1/8 drill.

If all else fails turning the spindle on in reverse for a second at high rpm with coolant blasting at it will usually unwind it.

Thx.

What are your current parameters?

SFM?
FPT/FPR?
Peck depth?
Coolant?
Retracts?
Tool?
Machine?

Can't make good suggestions without a starting point.

Thx.

in general the most important factor is the length of the drill bit sticking out of tool holder. 2nd most important factor is depth of hole, this effects coolant getting to drill tip
obviously feed needs to be limited when length over 50 length to diameter ratio. high feed will bend break drill and random vibration resonance can be 100x more of a problem with longer drill lengths
full peck out of hole can be a big problem cause longer drills will whip around at high rpm when out of the hole. without length of drill stickout and depth of hole its difficult to decide on best drilling parameters

A rats nest on any drill is a sure sign you're feeding too slow. Maybe even way to slow.

One off or small production run, 1/8" in 1018 - 118 deg Black oxide w/coolant at 2400-2600 RPM / 0.003-0.0047 IPR. See how it goes.

In this size drill and material combination, screw pecking up to at least 4 diameters. If you get a nest wanting to build add pecks until it stops. In general, in areas that have free chip movement like at the top of a plate without fixture or part feature obstructions, don't peck as a matter of course. Peck if the need presents itself, then start adding one or two at a time until the trouble goes away. Of course if you're going very deep and experience tells you otherwise peck away. But from what I see on Youtube, pecking is far over-rated and much to much overused. Granted Youtube doesn't completely represent the professional machining community by any stretch. Just trying to save the noobs from getting off on the wrong foot running tiny feeds and going peck crazy. :-)

My apologies for counting on Youtube, but I work alone in my own shop so it's the only reference I got outside these walls.

Dave

Thx.

In general, if your drill is balling or nesting chips you need to increase the feed. As teach said, we need more info to offer any advise that might be relevant to you.

Granted Youtube doesn't completely represent the professional machining community by any stretch.

.....so it's the only reference I got outside these walls.

Dave

I can't say the last time I stopped my production to video a clip and post on YouTube.

Oh wait I can....never.

Yes, I have on more then one occasion searched a topic to get a starting point, point of reference to how to accomplish something. Some great info there at times with a bunch of wanna be Shop teachers preaching crap.

Yes, I have on more then one occasion searched a topic to get a starting point, point of reference to how to accomplish something.

Ha... I go there to amuse myself or see machines bigger and badder then my own. Seldom to actually learn anything.

Dave

Last edited:
Excellent. I wrote that as a general question w/o access to my cut parameters and threw it out for a few ideas of things to try first. Looks like I'll try to be a bit more aggressive on some scrap stock to see if things explode on me. :)

Back