Generic 17-4-H900 vs Carpenter Project70 vs ? for tool life
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Generic 17-4-H900 vs Carpenter Project70 vs ? for tool life

This may be a question for the swiss guys. Compared to standard material is the Carpenter Project70 version of 17-4 H900 stainless substantially more free machining? I'm running cold finished 3/16in round stock in a b-axis mill-turn (milling/drilling only)with most of the tools in the 0.009" to 0.031" diameter range. Any other brands of material I should be looking at?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those are some small tools! What are the tolerances like? Can you buy annealed and age after? Shouldn't get much size change on what is likely a small part. Do you have enough RPM to get close to the right SFM range?

Carpenter has a patent on the material composition so I'm not sure other brands will change machinability much but that's just a guess. I'd like to hear if anyone has and Project 70 experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We run a 304 job using Project 70 ss and its like cutting butter- no burrs, great tool life etc. I would definitely try it for your job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked in a screw machine shop back in in the 70s. The owner gave a substantial discount to customers that supplied Carpenter material. We typically ran it 10% faster than the EMJ book recommendations and still got much better tool life.
    Since I have had my own shop 95% of my stainless has come from Carpenter the few times I went elsewhere I regretted it.
    A friend has bought some German stainless from Schmoolze or something like that and said it was comparable.
    What we have run is mostly 302, 303, 304,and 416HT, not enough 17-4 to speak of, but with Carpenter's reputation on project 70 I would expect the same kind of results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the insights. I'm going to get a bar and see how it runs...then I'll fight with getting the material substitution through with the customer.

I have 42K RPM so I can cut effectively at this size but I'm chasing features so small that the edge-hone on an endmill flute has a dramatic effect on burring. Lots of 4 and 5-axis simultaneous cuts with 0.010" endmills. Medical customers always know how to make parts expensive and hard to make

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask Carpenter if they still do the sample paks. A few years ago they would sell you a couple feet of different sizes for trials. Their normal line item minimum is $200.00, 20 bars will cost the same as 1 bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started with Carpenter Project 70 back 25 years ago with 316. Most players in SS have their own versions that in my experience perform pretty much the same as Project 70. I figured that after shipping Project 70 ran at least twice the price of regular material, actually quite a bargain considering the reduction in tooling costs.

A few years back we had a discussion here about this, one poster mentioned a material that he claimed was much better than Project 70. Hard to imagine how it could be "much" better, but he claimed it was.