Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for there input. Im looking into a phase converter. This is going to be a slow process. I'm just starting to look into everything. I program and run machines at work everyday. so that part isnt a problem just figuring out all the cost and what it takes to have one at home. I have a question on how much power you use when you use a phase converter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by novotny731 View Post
    I have a question on how much power you use when you use a phase converter?
    Not sure on a static, but the added power consumption of a rotary is pretty much what it takes to run the idler motor, since it is spinning without any load on it the power consumption is pretty low. I think when I checked mine it was drawing 18 amps on a 15HP motor, which is around 25% of full load.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know I always say this, but this sounds like a good job for a Fadal.

You can get a good condition VMC15 for about $10k, parts for them are cheap and they're easy to work on.

I will be listing a VMC15 for sale this weekend, I've been working on it for a couple of weeks getting it restored before listing it, you're actually not that far from me so if you're willing to cross the border it might work out well!

You can buy a single phase transformer for a Fadal for $1k from ITSCNC, and then you're good to go!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    drawing 18 amps on a 15HP motor, which is around 25% of full load.
    That’s >4kW. Depending on what one’s rate for power is, may not be trivial.

5. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure on a static, but the added power consumption of a rotary is pretty much what it takes to run the idler motor, since it is spinning without any load on it the power consumption is pretty low. I think when I checked mine it was drawing 18 amps on a 15HP motor, which is around 25% of full load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The motor is 25 years old and I bought it as a new reject. It was a return to a motor repair house that ordered it for a customer, who said it had an intermittent vibration. It still runs and does vibrate here and there but of course I could care less. I would imagine a brand new motor that wasn't a factory reject would draw a less percentage of full load than that thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by novotny731 View Post
    Thanks everyone for there input. Im looking into a phase converter. This is going to be a slow process. I'm just starting to look into everything. I program and run machines at work everyday. so that part isnt a problem just figuring out all the cost and what it takes to have one at home. I have a question on how much power you use when you use a phase converter?
    Check here:

Welcome to Croman Converters -

I've got two of his converts. They work great and give a balanced power output. They don't draw too much while running, but remember that startup can be a big momentary surge. My 30hp pulls around 80amps at start and the 40hp is around 125amps at start. I had to upgrade my shop's power from a 100 amp service to a 200 amp. That was a large hit for my start up costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    When I went from rotaries to real 3 phase, the electric bill went down by approximately 50%.

I had a 25hp rotary and if I remember correctly, it pulled about 11 amps at idle.

I like Aaron's idea, a Fadal with a single phase transformer. You lose 1/3 of your HP,
    but how often can you take a full 7.5hp cut on a VMC15? Might effect you a bit on the
    low end with large twisty drills, but for 99% of anything you are going to do, wouldn't
    matter at all.

I'd do just about anything to not run rotaries again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by biglord4ever View Post
    Check here:

Welcome to Croman Converters -

I've got two of his converts. They work great and give a balanced power output. They don't draw too much while running, but remember that startup can be a big momentary surge. My 30hp pulls around 80amps at start and the 40hp is around 125amps at start. I had to upgrade my shop's power from a 100 amp service to a 200 amp. That was a large hit for my start up costs.
    Is that "free freight" for just the panels or does it cover motors also? My 15HP motor must weight 300#.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that "free freight" for just the panels or does it cover motors also? My 15HP motor must weight 300#.
    Includes motors too!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used these guys on my last setup.

Gold Series

I got a free motor from work that was new, but had a damaged shaft.

These guys were easy to deal with and walked me thru a bunch of the details, as I'm not very good with electrical sorcery.

Those croman convertors look like a better deal tho, not sure if it's apples to apples component wise. I'll definitely be looking into those guys here in the next couple months for my new shop. Thanks for the info guys!