What's new
What's new

Ghost.exe

Ox

Diamond
Looking for a copy of ghost.exe or maybe ghostrestore.exe - or something like that.

Anyone?

Need to open/handle or whatever a GHO file.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I bet you can find it at the internet archive. I would look for you on a normal day but I'm working on 18hrs and when I visit that site I get sucked in for a three hr min. Hope that helps.
Andy

Looking for a copy of ghost.exe or maybe ghostrestore.exe - or something like that.

Anyone?

Need to open/handle or whatever a GHO file.

Extract from a sparse, proprietary, sort-of image file back to an uncompressed workable image in a standard storage/working format.

Go Ogle finds a lot of advice on it - most of it rather out-of-date?
Seems the too-common WinWorld StaleWare / abandonware / proprietary-format-ware / Version-Hell-incompatible-ware, conflictingly-documented-ware situation.

As-in "You aren't quite thoroughly f**ked just YET... "

Just sorta duct-taped over the bench waiting to see which of the players from DeSade's "120 Days of Sodom" is high-bidder for a go at yer plumbing, wallet, mind, time-budget, all or some combination thereof.

OR a brother PM member comes over the hill with a column of horse-cavalry of compatible vintage.

When you get out of the current need, go and use "dd" next go.

Free. Ubiquitous. Stable for 45 years, already (Bell Labs, 1974, Unix, *BSD, Linux, Mac, Android, etc. etc etc. ever since. Built-in, sorta). S**t ain't broke, not a lot of need to "fix" it.

I found this mail in my inbox just now from O'Dark:30 last night:

I eventually found a link to that software that hasn't rot in the last 10 years.

Once I got it, it seemed to work as expected. A DOS program booted up and allowed me to write the GHO file. Attempting to actually use the GHO file gave me some warnings that it did not pass some sort of validity check.

I ignored the warnings (worst case scenario I just wipe the drive and try again) and it wrote the disk like it was supposed to. Attempting to boot to the SINUMERIK software ends up crashing with a Windows NT file error. This could be because of the warning from before, or it could be that my hardware configuration is not agreeing with NT.

It seems like they have another program (ghost explorer) that I can use to make sure that the file is there. I will go find a working copy of that somewhere tomorrow after work and investigate.

So that is our current status this morning I guess.

I'm getting REALLY close to crying uncle on this and fetching a nother unit.
I gott'a git this thing going!

Remind me again why we don't like Fanuc/proprietary?
(I like it!)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ghost is a drive image management software.

Still current sort of.

It is in a Norton product, installs in the back end of the management package but can be copied out and operates as a dos file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have an old (1998) copy if you think it'll work...

I'm guessing that file would be too large to e-mail?
You could try if you want. mpminc1989atfrontierdotcom
Maybe zipped?

Doo you have any means of hosting it somewhere to be downloaded from?

Hopefully my boy can find a hosted copy somewhere tonight, if not - we may have to wait for a snail'd copy from you?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

You're OK - I don't care what I said about you 5 minutes ago! ;)

I fwd it on to those that have a clue what to doo with it.

Thank you very much!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

All else fas, I pay for a fixed-IP to the desk here. Can "relay" arbitrarily large files in, slice 'em into smaller chunks to send back out as can be concatenated back to one with 'cp', Or wothever the WinQuivelent be.

IF.. WinWoes respects true binary boundaries. Or NOT. I've long ago forgotten for lack of having to care.

Recollection was the ghost & co. clan had more than one age/revision in their history of the way they structured their compression for the storage image file.

Later versions would be able to work with previous formats.

Older version would not yet have know about the/a/any newer format.

I have NO klew where the actual dates or versions or "Rev Levels" were.

But if yah have "for example" a 1990 image, a 1995 or 1998 toolset should be able to handle it.

Trying to manipulate a 1995 file with a 1990 toolset is where it could, perhaps SHOULD: fall-down.

As said, dates only for illustration. There may have been more than one such breakpoint. I don't know what the specific years were for any of them.

Nothing to do with Fanuc, BTW.

Whatever THEY did - "proprietary" or not - would be unrelated, not really have needed Windows or Windows apps nor Windows toolsets involved at all.

Norton/Symantec who were making the changes in this case. Not even Microsoft, actually.

HTH

Back