What's new
What's new

Ghost Probe?

JKK

Plastic
2017 Haas TM-2P w/ OTS Renishaw. Turned the machine on this morning, went to probe the diameter of a tool and the tool comes down and touches off on the wrong part of the tool setter (normally the tool touches off on the center of the diameter of the tool setter probe tip but now it touches off-center of the probe tip. This causes the machine to incorrectly probe the tool diameter--for example, a 1/4" drill is measuring as .07" in diameter). It's as if someone came into the shop in the middle of the night and moved the tool setter by 1/4" along the x axis. Yesterday everything was fine. No one has access to the machine except me. Batteries are all new. The IR windows are all clean. Restarted and re-homed the machine. Tried probing a second tool and it looks like it probes in the same (wrong) place. I'm stumped.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is happening here? We have the latest software in the machine (tech was out on Monday updating the control--but I'm almost positive I probed tools after he came and they were working correctly. Can't 100% remember.).

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Just a wild guess as I don't have a Haas so no idea if the GUI is changed from the generic Renishaw GUI but on mine you have settings for the initial diameter of the tool you can enter. If it's wrong they get screwy.

Also, and this is much more likely you can do edge or off center probing. For endmills it is pretty much always center like you describe. For facemills with nothing in the center it edge probes based on the diameter it thinks it is. This is all controlled by your inputs.

So that it just started doing this and there was someone in there messing with it that would be my first guess.

EDIT: Was a little disappointed when reading the problem as your title implied I might see a little paranormal shop inspection. :D

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Sorry to disappoint on the haunted shop. If it turns out the problem was caused by the Haas guy messing around in the control then we can rule out paranormal. If not then it's definitely the same ghost that never puts the tools back in the right place :-)

(Works on our 2007 VF-2ss)
In MDI:

G53 G90 G0
X#585 Y#586

Does that center the spindle on the tool setter? If yes, then the problem is in your programming. If no, then you need to re-calibrate.

Yes. I will have to do a total probe calibration again. Just wanted to figure out why I had to redo it. The only thing that happened to the machine from day 1 to day 2 was a software update. Haas tech said nothing needed to be re-probed.

Back