What's new
What's new

GL 45 Threads?

RussellRought

Plastic
This may be premature because I just started looking but I thought someone here might get there faster.

Anyone know what the majors and minors and all that jazz is for a GL 45 Thread?

This may be premature because I just started looking but I thought someone here might get there faster.

Anyone know what the majors and minors and all that jazz is for a GL 45 Thread?

If you want fast I'd suggest you wrote whether or not it was one diameter or several you were interested in. if you intend doing serious work with this type of thread I'd also suggest buying the relevant standard as it isn't normally the type of thread that is "just" machined in small quantities.

It's surprising how much "jazz" is involved with some thread types ;)

Sotax - Laboratory bottle with DIN thread | ISO 4796, GL 45, 100 ml

Isn't 45 a diameter? 45mm? As far as the rest is it a round thread?

This is a small qty. I only have 1 od and 1 id part. this is a job shop and that is pretty much all we do.

Anyway, so your suggestion is buy the standard.

Anyone else?

Isn't 45 a diameter? 45mm? As far as the rest is it a round thread?

This is a small qty. I only have 1 od and 1 id part. this is a job shop and that is pretty much all we do.

Anyway, so your suggestion is buy the standard.

Anyone else?

GL 45 is a specialized thread and the 45 does refer to the OD. The point I was making with the suggestion to buying the standard was that all the dimensions have tolerances and none of these important details are given on the link Rich gave.

I've Googled and can't come up with any link showing tolerances and as far as I can see your best bet (only chance?) is to find a tool or bottle manufacturer that makes a GL 45 thread if you don't want to buy the standard.

The only time I can imagine making a 1 off for that particular thread is for the tooling for mass production (and that will require knowing the spec) and if that isn't the case in your situation I'm rather curious as to what you're making that requires that thread. No need to tell if you don't want to :)

Gordon

I keep digging to no avail except I keep getting these websites wanting money for the DIN 168-1 standard. But I did find a sheet that showed an unexpected thread profile.

Cheers,
Rich

Attachments

• GL profile.jpg
    GL profile.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,060
If GL is the "German Bottle Closure Thread Series", I find the following for GL 45 in "Guide to World Screw Threads". As Gordon said, without tolerances you don't have too much to go on.

Pitch = 4

Basic Dimensions:

Neck
Major = 45.00
Minor = 42.28

Cap
Major = 45.30
Minor = 42.58

Depth of Thread = 1.36
Radius at Crest = 1.10
Radius at Root = 0.80

If GL is the "German Bottle Closure Thread Series", I find the following for GL 45 in "Guide to World Screw Threads". As Gordon said, without tolerances you don't have too much to go on.

Pitch = 4

Basic Dimensions:

Neck
Major = 45.00
Minor = 42.28

Cap
Major = 45.30
Minor = 42.58

Depth of Thread = 1.36
Radius at Crest = 1.10
Radius at Root = 0.80

I was wondering if you'd "pitch" in :) :cheers:

I wouldn't touch a GL thread with a barge pole without having the ISO standard next to me. I can't even begin to imagine why the OP would want to make a single piece unless it was for some type of tool. If it's for a tool I'd definately want to know the tolerances.

Sorry for reviving dead thread, but what is the width of thread "tooth" on pitch diameter?
Or width of tooth on minor diameter?

Last edited:

Back