What's new
What's new

Glass Window on CNC Turning Center

jephw

Aluminum
Good day folks.
Had a tool ripped from the turret and shattered the window on our Mori Sieki turning center. I'm wondering if this is special glass made specifically for CNC machines or if I can just get tempered impact resistant glass from a local glass supplier. Price tag on it from DMG is crazy.
Thanks in advance.

Another vote for Lexan.

A young guy in a firm near me died when a CNC lathe part came clear through the safety screen & hit his head, this was a week before his wedding day! Turned out the owner had used non OEM glass/plastic as a replacement screen.The owner got prison the lad got a wooden box.

Tony

What about tempered glass with wire mesh like was used on doors in schools and such.

A note about Lexan (polycarbonate). It is sensitive to some chemicals. I had a Lexan plastic industrial indicating light lens that I put some stress on, then sprayed with a chemical the stated "safe for use on plastics". Within five seconds the lens was on the floor in a hundred pieces.

Tom

A young guy in a firm near me died when a CNC lathe part came clear through the safety screen & hit his head, this was a week before his wedding day! Turned out the owner had used non OEM glass/plastic as a replacement screen.The owner got prison the lad got a wooden box.

Tony

Agreed. Use anything other than an OEM replacement part and you are opening yourself to a lawsuit.

It will scratch over time yes. But for the cost it's definitely worth it IMO.
The trick is, you put a thin sheet of ordinary window glass on the inside. Make a sandwich, seal carefully between the polycarbonate and the glass because coolant will get in and bother you. Then put the whole thing into the hole.

That's what the originals were on a lot of machines.

btw, people should not be standing in front of the chuck. That's a safety rule we learned back when dinosaurs ruled the earth. I hadn't heard that physics had changed ...

Lexan or such is great.
Be aware that over time coolant makes it brittle so it cracks for no reason and you change it.
(actually I duct tape it and then change it when handy)
Seems that the normal everyday Windex is not recommenced for use on airplane windshields.
Bob

I used 1/4" Lexan for chip shields on our open frame OKK VMC. Over time, the stuff would craze and crack. I figured it had something to do with the coolant.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There is room for 24mm of glass, so I decided I will get a 1/2 piece of tempered glass and 1/2 piece of Lexan same size, based on your comments about Lexan. Bead of silicone to seal off when they're sandwiched should do the trick. That'll save me some money fersure. Cheers!

Sometimes the material won’t matter, layers of steel, plastic and concrete block.

Sometimes, when it’s your turn there’s nothing you can do to change that

Thanks for the replies everyone. There is room for 24mm of glass, so I decided I will get a 1/2 piece of tempered glass and 1/2 piece of Lexan same size, based on your comments about Lexan. Bead of silicone to seal off when they're sandwiched should do the trick. That'll save me some money fersure. Cheers!

If you are in fact in Canada. OHS will have a shit fit if they find out. And if there's an investigation i.e. if there's a workplace accident you will be held liable personally, and the company. Also your terms of insurance will likely be voided as well.

Good day folks.
Had a tool ripped from the turret and shattered the window on our Mori Sieki turning center. I'm wondering if this is special glass made specifically for CNC machines or if I can just get tempered impact resistant glass from a local glass supplier. Price tag on it from DMG is crazy.
Thanks in advance.

What was there when you took it apart? Probably exactly what you just said you would replace it with.
This is what you will find in most quality turning centers. Two layers, tempered glass inside polycarb. For good reasons.
Last few times I have needed to re-do the door on my lathe, I used Dulles Glass & Mirror to source materials.
Your One-Stop Shop For Custom-Cut Frameless Glass, Mirrors & Shower Doors | Dulles Glass and Mirror

Get a polycarbonate (Lexan) sheet with SCRATCHPROOF coating. Holds up much longer, as the surface is hard.
Dont bother with tempered glass.

Get a polycarbonate (Lexan) sheet with SCRATCHPROOF coating. Holds up much longer, as the surface is hard.
Dont bother with tempered glass.
How does that react with coolant, though ?

btw, "bulletproof glass" is actually polycarbonate. It's pretty tough. That's why I always went with the thickest piece of poly and the thinnest sheet of glass, just to keep the spray and chips off. But I'm sure there are other approaches to this ...

Back