What's new
What's new

Good Anodizer in Phoenix, AZ?????

Brian

Stainless
I make my own product and just went round and round with my anodizer after getting huge anodize bill compared to what it used to be. I know there are more than a couple folks on here in the Phoenix area, any suggestions on anodizers? I'm also wanting colors that don't fade in the daylight of the inside of a shop.... let along if they actually saw real sunlight. I had a red anodized part in my vise for two days and when I took it out you can see where the anodized faded that was exposed vs. what was in the vise jaws.

I make my own product and just went round and round with my anodizer after getting huge anodize bill compared to what it used to be. I know there are more than a couple folks on here in the Phoenix area, any suggestions on anodizers? I'm also wanting colors that don't fade in the daylight of the inside of a shop.... let along if they actually saw real sunlight. I had a red anodized part in my vise for two days and when I took it out you can see where the anodized faded that was exposed vs. what was in the vise jaws.

We use southwest metal finishers off 48th st.

We have companies sending us their anodizing from all over the country, we turn around all anodizing in 2 days. PM me if you want to try us. If your colors fade the part was not sealed properly.

+1 for Southwest Metal Finishers...

Another is PIP, there down south of the 10 off of 7st.

one more...Controlled Coatings up north off I17 in the Deer Valley area.

I'm currently using Metco, and I can't recommend them... at all.... they would screw up a free lunch. I will check into the places mentioned and get them to quote the parts.

Back in the day I used to do a lot of Aerospace work and used Chemresearch and Treffers, think it's called something else now. I used to do a lot of work with Futureweld too, is Gino still there? At the time they just did welding.... of course this was back in the mid 90's.

Sage, PIP? The painting division of Chemresearch?

Wheelieking, we used to do all of our own beading, we did low pressure with glass beads to get a nice matte black on a lot of parts.

Last edited:
PIP, Presision Industrial Painting. Bob was the OG owner and then my old boss bought half of his company but that was in the early 90's so i'm not sure who holds the cards there. Bob's son was running the shown when I left PHX in 2007.

Southwest metal finishers always did a nice job for me when I was running the R/C car parts out of the garage, and there facility was super clean an organized back then, they did good work.
They would be my first choice if I had to do it again...

Yes, I used Treffer's as my main anodize, plating and grinding shop... back from when John started in the late 70's, pretty sure he bought out a guy he was working for at the time, don't remember what the place was called before he re-named it Treffer's. I can't remember exactly when it was, but they had a massive fire and it ruined a lot of our parts, along with tons of other folks making parts for AirResearch (Allied Signal and then eventually Honewell, along with a half dozen other names). That was some tense times..... worrying about insurance and making parts over again in days vs. months. The real sticky situation were the casting jobs where AirResearch had supplied the castings.

I'll take my next batch of parts and all my prints over to Southwest and see how they fair....

METCO is a joke! Quality sucks. Always. not hit or miss. I have an email from them dated two years ago, they sent out to all their customers, stating they were closing shop.
Funny, they are still there. I'm not sure how? Only reason we used them is a coworker at the time, was buddies with the guy who was running the show there.
I wont comment any farther than: pretend they aren't even there.

Really? Collins is still in business? They used to be down the street from me by 40th Street and Washington, until they got shut down by the EPA for dumping chemicals down a well on the property. At the time all they did for us was chem film and maybe etch cleaning aluminum parts prior to weld.... they didn't have the ability to anodize back then.

If for any reason you want to try Tucson, talk to Jeff at Precision Finishing Inc. 520-293-9116. No connection other than 20+ yrs as a customer. They have very good process control. I have tried several other shops, and they seem to be at the top of the pile IMO.
And as Moonlight noted, fading color is a sure indication of improper (or NO) sealing of the anodized part surface.

Really? Collins is still in business? They used to be down the street from me by 40th Street and Washington, until they got shut down by the EPA for dumping chemicals down a well on the property. At the time all they did for us was chem film and maybe etch cleaning aluminum parts prior to weld.... they didn't have the ability to anodize back then.

My knowledge on this is about third hand, but as I understand it, the light rail bought out their site. The deal worked out was along the lines that the city would find them a new piece of land and somehow make up the cost of meeting current EPA requirements for a plating business. In the end they have a fairly modern facility.

My knowledge on this is about third hand, but as I understand it, the light rail bought out their site. The deal worked out was along the lines that the city would find them a new piece of land and somehow make up the cost of meeting current EPA requirements for a plating business. In the end they have a fairly modern facility.

They do have a new nice place, but they are 20-30% higher than the rest of the anodizers in the valley.

Back