What's new
What's new

Good, Budget Coolant

Ox

Diamond
I have been using this for a bit now and I feel that it is worth puting out there for y'all to see.

I have been running Trim SOL for >25 yrs now, and haven't tried anything else in the mean time.

I was turned on to this recently, and was lead to believe that it was a "base product" from Master Chemical. (which would be "SOL")
But this is 2/3 the money, and believe me that I have been pitchin' a fit about the co$t of SOL as it has almost doubled in the last 9 years - even tho crude has went in half. :angry:

So - I gave it a go...

Right outta the gate - I knew that this was NOT "SOL".
It might be some other Trim product, but it's not SOL.
And I had my doubts that it was a Trim product at all as it had a slightly different smell.
I have been smelling SOL for >25 yrs, and I have been to the factory oodles of times, I know what Master Chemical smells like.

Also - I noticed that this did not mix in at the bucket quite as easily as I expect SOL to.
Also - the color is a bit darker than SOL.
So....

Anyhow - the product is from Fastenall.
This is possibly the first thing that I have ever bought from Fastenall.

55Gal Drum Dark Blue SharpCool(R) Water Soluble Multi-Purpose Metalworking Fluid
| Fastenal

Cutting and Metalworking Fluids
| Fastenal

After 3 (?) months, I have found it to be BETTER than SOL IM/HO.

After looking through the website linked above, I believe whole heartedly that this is NOT a Master Chemical product.
Master Chemical IS listed as a supplier for many of their products, and the prices there are in line with what I would expect for Trim products.
This is listed as a re-labeled product, and at qty of "55" gallons, and Master Chemical always lists theirs as "54 gallon".
And you can see evidence of that on the web page listed above as well.

Now - it could be made at Master Chemical, IDK, but if it is, it is disguised a bit from normal product and sold WAY under retail.
Personally - I'm guessing that the salesman got his wires crossed, as they show a few other chem company's products as well.

Pro's have been that the chips don't seem to pull the oil away and let the colored water drain out - quite as bad. (there is still a bit of that, but notably less)

Along that same thought line - my bar fed lathes drop the parts down in the chip conveyor, and we have a big chip pan under our conveyor where we sort the parts/chips and scoop the rest out. This works well for walking away for longer periods. I have already loaded it up and went away for the weekend to IMTS while it ran a 32 hour cycle.

The (LCS) parts in the bottom like to start rusting in this case, but I have noted much less of this with the new stuff.

This stuff has not had an easy life in the one machine so far, as that lathe has had a leaky turret, and had been puting a drum of hydro oil in the coolant / month until recently, and it has held up pretty well. Better that prior.

Most apps here were just tossed in over our old coolant, but one mill was a fresh charge. But that is a grease machine running alum, and just about anything will doo well in that environment....

IDK that I have noted any "cons" yet, other than the slightly slower to mix into solution, but it's not like I ever had to doo anything really. Whatever didn't mix in at the tap, I'm sure mixed in when it poured into the machine. I don't actually doo any "mixing" per se.

I will be needing to order a new drum soon enough, and as of right now - I plan to get more of this.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I ran that stuff at one point and now have Sol in all but one of my machines. IMO the Trim Sol is worth the extra $200 a drum. The Fastenal stuff goes stale much quicker than Sol does in seldom used machines and didn't seem to tap as well in SS. I also noticed with time it turns greenish where the Sol stays blue.

I thought about getting more to run in the bandsaw (anything will do in that thing since it's not in a heated building and gets antifreeze mixed into the coolant this time of year :D ) but it's easier to not have a bunch of different coolants.

Might be worth comparing prices with Fuchs too. It seems reasonable to me(I buy pails, not drums though), and so far the best, lowest smell coolant I've used. Their tech/lab support for product suggestions was also #1.

Cant say enough good about creative chemistry c-cool 720. cost little bit extra but lasts forever without going sour or rusting machine. Way cheaper in long run. Great option for those in Canada, doesnt seem as common in the US

Back