What's new
What's new

Good Drill for Drilling Smaller Aluminum Holes w Good Finish

munruh

Hot Rolled
They are lathe parts and the hole tolerance is +-.003 and needs to be a good finish. The depths are around 5xD and the diameters in the .425 range. There are several diameters. What's a good drill for this that will leave a good finish and hold size?

A good drill is just as important as starting with a quality brand of aluminum.

They are lathe parts and the hole tolerance is +-.003 and needs to be a good finish. The depths are around 5xD and the diameters in the .425 range.
With a slightly deep hole like this, I've always liked parabolic flute twist drills, since they have easy chip exit.

In fact, from using them for deepish holes I grew to like them for most everything. Put a racon point on them and they work good in moderately hard steel, too. Nice geometry, for a drill.

I dont get alot of aluminum.
If price was no factor....I would go with Guhring 3 flute coolant through drills.
They have worked great in milling applications. I have never tried them in a lathe.

I’ve never used them but how do people feel about yg1 dream drills?

I do a lot of plate work with thousands of 3/8 clearance holes and 3/8 taps.I use the yg1 130dpa parabolic short length drills. They do not leave a great finish but they last forever and drill fast.

So while we are on the subject anyone have a drill suggestion for that application?

I’ve never used them but how do people feel about yg1 dream drills?

I do a lot of plate work with thousands of 3/8 clearance holes and 3/8 taps.I use the yg1 130dpa parabolic short length drills. They do not leave a great finish but they last forever and drill fast.

So while we are on the subject anyone have a drill suggestion for that application?

I use a 10mm (3/8 clearance) thru coolant Dream Drill going through 2" of cold rolled steel. Held in an ER32 collet running at 4320 RPM and 40 IPM. No pecks. I think those numbers are on the conservative side as I'm leaning towards longevity. I don't have an exact number but I know I'm getting at least between 1000-1500 holes. Never ran one to destruction. I've changed them out when I see a few extra percent load on the spindle and starting to notice a little wear beneath the cutting edge. I think I pay $85.00 for this drill.

Back