Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good Drill set/ taps for general material

Ever since I got my VF2ssyt 3 weeks ago, I've been drowning in tooling options now that I have the power to run such tooling. One of the areas I lack is drilling and taps. I ran some rigid tapping cycles last night and surprised how smooth it is. Before I had to thread mill which took a long time.

Material is mostly alum but some 304/316

I'm wanting to get a cobalt drill set 1/16 - 1/2 in 64th increments. I was looking at Precision Twist and YG1 Gold.

Taps, I'm looking mostly at OSG but feel it's just best to buy a few when I need them. I understand there are vastly amount of variable that come in to play when picking a tap for a job. However, is there a general tap you use, example spiral point bottom, straight flute bottom?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    I'm wanting to get a cobalt drill set 1/16 - 1/2 in 64th increments. I was looking at Precision Twist and YG1 Gold.
    I have had really good luck with Guhring 5524 (stub) and 5523 (jobber) length HSCo drills for everyday multi-material use. They are bright finish, 5520/5519 are the corresponding TiN-coated versions. They aren't sold as a set so you'll have to piece it together, which is annoying....

3. Likes MaCon liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm switching materials all the time and don't do any production work, so I use almost all YG-1 tools. The gold drill sets have worked great for me. Aluminum plastics, 303 and 304SS. Their 5 flute coated V7 Inox have worked great in stainless/HSM tool paths so far. Alupower's are crazy sharp for aluminum and plastics. From a "job shop" point of view. They're a great bang for the buck.

They may be lousy for production work, but I wouldn't know :-).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks fellows. My shop is more small production and prototyping. I'm going to order some YG1 to test out. I've always love Helical and how fast I could run them, even on my 1.5hp machine.