What's new
What's new

Good Drill set/ taps for general material

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
Ever since I got my VF2ssyt 3 weeks ago, I've been drowning in tooling options now that I have the power to run such tooling. One of the areas I lack is drilling and taps. I ran some rigid tapping cycles last night and surprised how smooth it is. Before I had to thread mill which took a long time.

Material is mostly alum but some 304/316

I'm wanting to get a cobalt drill set 1/16 - 1/2 in 64th increments. I was looking at Precision Twist and YG1 Gold.

Taps, I'm looking mostly at OSG but feel it's just best to buy a few when I need them. I understand there are vastly amount of variable that come in to play when picking a tap for a job. However, is there a general tap you use, example spiral point bottom, straight flute bottom?

I'm wanting to get a cobalt drill set 1/16 - 1/2 in 64th increments. I was looking at Precision Twist and YG1 Gold.

I have had really good luck with Guhring 5524 (stub) and 5523 (jobber) length HSCo drills for everyday multi-material use. They are bright finish, 5520/5519 are the corresponding TiN-coated versions. They aren't sold as a set so you'll have to piece it together, which is annoying....

I'm switching materials all the time and don't do any production work, so I use almost all YG-1 tools. The gold drill sets have worked great for me. Aluminum plastics, 303 and 304SS. Their 5 flute coated V7 Inox have worked great in stainless/HSM tool paths so far. Alupower's are crazy sharp for aluminum and plastics. From a "job shop" point of view. They're a great bang for the buck.

They may be lousy for production work, but I wouldn't know :-).

Thanks fellows. My shop is more small production and prototyping. I'm going to order some YG1 to test out. I've always love Helical and how fast I could run them, even on my 1.5hp machine.

Back