What's new
What's new

Good morning from IMTS

I wish to be there. I'm chained to the S700...:bawling:

The person behind you, is Jeff? if so, say hello to him! From Ricardo in NM.

Looking forward to meet you someday (and BROTHERFRANK)!

I'm not at IMTS either but seems there some good stuff going on.

Seems the Matsuura booth is "Jammin".

Random what's new I am vicariously "Experiencing" with IMTS (that's relevant to our group).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Matsuura the VX 660 looking very good ! (Seems pretty new for US market).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

MAZAK have got these new integrex AG (Gear machines) + related Renishaw processes

(interesting / almost controversial).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Makino have gone all out and bet the farm on 'ATHENA" voice activated control. Interesting workaround for basic issues with the Fanuc control*. You talk to it and it talks to you about what's going on and gives you a free "Hand". ;-) (if you speak to it nicely).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

DMG Mori
Launched a new lathe / turning center called the ALX 2500 … So it's boxed ways on X but linear rolling element bearings on Z , has a BMT turret with live tools and curiously comes in different bed lengths of roughly 12", 20" 40 " even up to 79" , which is surprising as the machine is also intended to be very compact. Claims to be really accurate (what a surprise) ALX 25

Hardinge Hardinge has added the Bridgeport V1320 vertical milling center to its Bridgeport V-series line. Key thing about this one is that it has dual drive ball screws on Y axis and claims better contouring ??? Unfortunately Hardinge is not jiggy with social media and there are no PDFs or images or anything on the web that actually shows this machine (slap head/face palm). [You gotta love'em].

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kitamura : Friend of friend / little birdy says there's a new machine in the Kitamura booth 5 axis vertical that might give Matsuura a "run for it's money" + palate system, looks pretty affordable (90 tools as standard). Swings a large-ish part compared to footprint. I believe it's called the MYTrunion 2G. But you have to see it in person as it does not exist on the interwebs. (so I'm told) (to millennials this seems like an impossible concept; stuff that does not exist on the web does exist in "Real life". ).
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* uploaded videos / demos of Athena are on Makino's FB page. Other MTBs are also making some use of the Book of Face for outreach.

** May edit or add stuff later.

Last edited:
I will be there on Friday, will be checking out vmc's, i will be checking out the Brothers, as well as others. Later Jason

Two R450s being installed at the shop... Almost as good as IMTS :)

Sweet! You ought to start a "New Machine day post and put up some pictures.

Also be neat if you started a shop thread. Be interesting to see what you've got going on out there.

OP.. You the guy with or without the glasses?

Brent

Also be neat if you started a shop thread. Be interesting to see what you've got going on out there.

OP.. You the guy with or without the glasses?

Brent

Always thought about a shop thread but takes a lot of effort lol. I post some stuff on instagram of the machines we have and some stuff we are doing... Can't share too much because of NDA or competition :)

Brent

Second that … Shop thread (awesome !).

Probabaly waaaaaaaay too busy to have his own youtube channel (course that doesn't stop some people), but I'd definitely watch it and also really be interested in that Grob, especially as they state their machines are made (kinda ) in the USA now. That seems super interesting too. The German re-engineering global connection and unique stuff happening on US soil.

Would love to see how NX + dstyr's 5 axis machines (plural) are making it all happen. (without being too nosy / prying etc... healthy boundaries and whatnot ! )

@ dennis/ dstryr Siemans/Siemans PLM should sponsor your ass... (seriously).

GROB:IMTS 2018: "The new Ohio-built G350 5-axis machining center will be introduced at IMTS 2018. It has a compact footprint of 96.5" x 79" and a pallet size of 400 mm (15.75"). All G-Series models feature the GROB-designed and built table with 225 degrees of rotation in the A axis, continuous 360 degrees in B. It's the only 5-axis machine with a fully retractable spindle for unmatched workpiece access. " (Emphasis added).

Grob Systems, Inc. | International Manufacturing Technology Show 218

Made in Ohio I'm like f*ck yeah !!!

G350 How much ???? 'cuz 5 axis horizontal with a unique axial arrangement inversion capability on the table (that leaves makino scratching it's head ) is always gonna be super cheap :D

Someone has to teach andy how to use a Camera phone....

Naaaaah

Notice he tilts his head at 45 degrees so he has all his bases covered but doesn't care if everyone in the back ground looks like they are experiencing a new gravity function on the Star Ship Enterprise. Don't touch the red button !

I kinda like that shot , very honest and descriptive.

Andy's gang 2b.jpg

^^^Andy and the Gang.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

^^^ To scrub out the rotational formatting and code I had to rotate it in another program and then export as PNG as other methods like jpg retain some "meta data" from the orientation of the shot. I'm sure there are better ways to do that... But at least it's the right way up (I think).

Made in Ohio I'm like f*ck yeah !!!

I feel really stupid right now... I drove several times by the factory, and I always thought was Grob Band saws...

Impressed and happy to know that they're making those machine, here in the US.

@ dennis/ dstryr Siemans/Siemans PLM should sponsor your ass... (seriously).
HA!
Id take a discount on my yearly maintenance.... Hired a new guy to train in NX and have to buy a third seat and now 33% higher yearly maintenance cost :(

HA!
Id take a discount on my yearly maintenance.... Hired a new guy to train in NX and have to buy a third seat and now 33% higher yearly maintenance cost :(

Here's the thing not that many people in the USA know Siemen's controls... So you are definitely flying the flag for that...

And for some reason a lot of peeps that buy DMG-Mori multi axis systems that then have to jump into serious CAD CAM for the first time seem to vastly underestimate the complexity of that combination (NX to NX-CAM to DMG MORI multi axis machine and back). It's VERY powerful especially if you have a whole team of engineers working on massively complex things like Space ships and lines of combine harvesters with tens of thousands of parts and assemblies... I love some of the graphical modelling features of NX but some of those have been transplanted to Solid Edge (pretty sweet the "generative" design tool is very interesting or "degenerative" design as I call it, as well as other global modelling features pinched from NX... Nice.).

So the fact that you seem to be getting on very well with it is big plus and big plus for them NX/NX CAM (Siemens PLM) Obviously you'd have an easier time if you were in Germany etc.

At least for smaller more sporadic outfits like mine Siemen's Solid Edge and also Solidworks now have subscription systems so it's possible to do stuff in different phases and upgrade and down grade as needed (at least for Solid Edge + FEA and other stuff). CAM side I'm still sorting stuff out for what's gonna be new (most likely Esprit and then upgrade SolidCAM for more fancy stuff later), but I'm used to everything I ever used software side having it's own separate special compartmentalized sticker shock all of it's own.

I/we used to work in an environment/ partnership with government agencies where a piece of SW would be $120K a seat, $60K annual renewal per seat for multiple seats. (leica geosystems)… So I built something better ;-) [Waaaaaay -Faster-better-cheaper (for a specific key advanced workflow...). ].

@dstryr how much is your seat of NX and NX cam right now ? (You don't have to answer that, maybe it's come down in price over the years ? ).

Hardinge has their new 5 axis machine (4+1 unless you spend an extra 20k on the upgraded control) that looks pretty nice. The big push is automation this year and Gossiger has a very attractive fanuc robot/drawer loader system. We finally bought a little Brother S500 today and their new roller gear high speed 4th axis.

If you are thinking about getting a Brother they have SCREAMING deals on some in stock models - the one I bought today was almost 10K under an end of year blowout quote that I had from 2012 for an almost identical machine. If you want a Brother and their on sale machines will work, now is the time to buy.

Someone has to teach andy how to use a Camera phone....

So today was my day to run the booth. I started my morning meeting comments with taking that photo. I actually had about 70 people around me when I took that picture with my brother Toshi. A better photo of the group and booth can be found on our LinkedIn page. Look forward to walking the show some tomorrow.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/yamazen/

Hardinge has their new 5 axis machine (4+1 unless you spend an extra 20k on the upgraded control) that looks pretty nice. The big push is automation this year and Gossiger has a very attractive fanuc robot/drawer loader system. We finally bought a little Brother S500 today and their new roller gear high speed 4th axis.

If you are thinking about getting a Brother they have SCREAMING deals on some in stock models - the one I bought today was almost 10K under an end of year blowout quote that I had from 2012 for an almost identical machine. If you want a Brother and their on sale machines will work, now is the time to buy.

Is that the V350 5F ?

So you can twist their arm to upgrade to sim 5 axis on the V320 ? (Is that like Heidenhain , Siemens or Mitz control ? Assuming we don't have wires crossed?).

What is the base price for the V320 5F (if you happen to know it "ball park" ?). [I did ask for a quote on that months ago but disappeared into the "Ether", figured Hardinge were going through changes.].

V/GX Series | Hardinge

I have to say it is a nice looking machine.

Congrats on the Brother !

Is that the V350 5F ?

So you can twist their arm to upgrade to sim 5 axis on the V320 ? (Is that like Heidenhain , Siemens or Mitz control ? Assuming we don't have wires crossed?).

What is the base price for the V320 5F (if you happen to know it "ball park" ?). [I did ask for a quote on that months ago but disappeared into the "Ether", figured Hardinge were going through changes.].

V/GX Series | Hardinge

I have to say it is a nice looking machine.

Congrats on the Brother !

I heard "show special 150K" for the machine with the base control and another 20K to upgrade to full 5 axis simultaneous, so it could be a real deal. Looks like it is made in their Taiwan factory but they seem to be getting better and better.

Looking forward to getting the Brother in, have a lot of work lined out for it. Looks like a nice little machine.

By any chance do you know the price of the Matsuura VX660 ?

I really want to know that too... Also asked for a quote on that 3 months ago also.

My local sales engineer / REP pretty much wants to up-sell me on everything. [Passive aggressive and slower on cheaper machines but pretty damn quick on the expensive ones lol.].

On social media various Matsuura sales people have likened it to resurrecting the V plus series. But that series was really super accurate but also pricey so seems the VX 660 could be quite affordable yet more than decent accuracy.

Looks like some really good options too and control is pretty advanced so hence 5 axis trunnion is possible but then they might want to push one towards a MX 330 instead.

Wonder if Rennishaw Axisset would work on a VX660 ? And also on the VX 660 pdf they show a sexy looking blue trunnion in (matsuura blue) as an option ?

The ability to put and pull a trunnion well, would be good.

http://www.masentia.se/Files/Filer/PDF_2018/Matsuura/VX-660.pdf

^^^ Bottom of page 6 shows an optional trunnion … BLUE … [You probably wouldn't get Camplete FREE on that].

You can get Heidenhain linear scales on that machine and the Maxia spidle is near sub micron runout.

Back