Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    All this flossy gear, and we all know the biggest seller at this show will be the Haas UMC1000.
    Is this the first machine they are going to offer an HSK spindle? I wonder if it will be a better built spindle than anything they have built in the past?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All this flossy gear, and we all know the biggest seller at this show will be the Haas UMC1000.
    That quote should be on a sign in the Haas booth
    So true
    Gary

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The VX series is the Quasar machine with their control I think, they still sell the V Plus machines.$$
    Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    I really want to know that too... Also asked for a quote on that 3 months ago also.

My local sales engineer / REP pretty much wants to up-sell me on everything. [Passive aggressive and slower on cheaper machines but pretty damn quick on the expensive ones lol.].

On social media various Matsuura sales people have likened it to resurrecting the V plus series. But that series was really super accurate but also pricey so seems the VX 660 could be quite affordable yet more than decent accuracy.

Looks like some really good options too and control is pretty advanced so hence 5 axis trunnion is possible but then they might want to push one towards a MX 330 instead.

Wonder if Rennishaw Axisset would work on a VX660 ? And also on the VX 660 pdf they show a sexy looking blue trunnion in (matsuura blue) as an option ?

The ability to put and pull a trunnion well, would be good.

http://www.masentia.se/Files/Filer/P...ura/VX-660.pdf

^^^ Bottom of page 6 shows an optional trunnion … BLUE … [You probably wouldn't get Camplete FREE on that].

You can get Heidenhain linear scales on that machine and the Maxia spidle is near sub micron runout.

4. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved the floor dedicated to 3 D printing or Additive Manufacturing. We attended Monday - Wednesday 1 PM. I was trying to walk with my son, but he's strides are 4' and I couldn't keep up so I rented a 4 wheel scooter. That was fun and saved me..lol While walking out I walked by the Suburban booth and met Don Baily. I talked to many salesmen and asked how was the show? They all said so much better then years before. Several said sales have gone way up since the election. Cross your fingers it stays on. Another piece of advice, check out Airbnb as we rented a 2 bed room inside a 6 bedroom nice apartment that was 2 miles away from McCormick for $75.00 a night. One of the BIAX salesmen from Germany paid $275.00 a night for Hotel Chicago and it looked like a 2 star hotel. Wednesday was a zoo. Traffic on 90/94 was stop and go for 1 hour - 40 miles north going home.

Thank Goodness the economy is on the rise so our industry can recover!! Rich

Pic's L to R
    Yours truly, Hot air Balloon between buildings and my son driving a reality race car in the Mobil Oil booth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails don-bailey-imts.jpg   resized_20180911_091408.jpg   resized_20180911_131948.jpg  

6. Likes M.B. Naegle, 2outof3, cameraman, Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I loved the floor dedicated to 3 D printing or Additive Manufacturing. We attended Monday - Wednesday 1 PM. I was trying to walk with my son, but he's strides are 4' and I couldn't keep up so I rented a 4 wheel scooter. That was fun and saved me..lol While walking out I walked by the Suburban booth and met Don Baily. I talked to many salesmen and asked how was the show? They all said so much better then years before. Several said sales have gone way up since the election. Cross your fingers it stays on. Another piece of advice, check out Airbnb as we rented a 2 bed room inside a 6 bedroom nice apartment that was 2 miles away from McCormick for $75.00 a night. One of the BIAX salesmen from Germany paid $275.00 a night for Hotel Chicago and it looked like a 2 star hotel. Wednesday was a zoo. Traffic on 90/94 was stop and go for 1 hour - 40 miles north going home.

Thank Goodness the economy is on the rise so our industry can recover!! Rich

Pic's L to R
    Yours truly, Hot air Balloon between buildings and my son driving a reality race car in the Mobil Oil booth.
    Nice photo of you and the venerable Don- Baily. Like his shop tour videos (visiting other craftsmen and women in the machine tool industry ) and of course his "Spindexer".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle1000 View Post
    The VX series is the Quasar machine with their control I think, they still sell the V Plus machines.$$
    Depressingly I think you are right, however the one big difference is the MAXIA spindle as that is near sub micron.

The Quaser machines are getting very good.

Also depressingly when Hardinge announced their new Bridgeport V 1320 (something) and there are no pdf's or photos or anything, (but has twin ball screw drives in Y axis) the first thing I did was got to the Quaser site to see which machine Hardinge had hacked ? As Hardinge has no information on the web about it above and beyond a cursory teaser announcement.

9. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to miss this one and I really wanted to go this time So of course I hit the internet to find out..stuff. Nothing..almost nothing. In europe when they have a show you can watch MTDCNC They are knowledgeable and don't ask too many dumb questions. They go direct to the company's and dig out info on new products
    Very few company's do well in that department. If I were younger / better looking / more patience / etc..I would look hard at forming a company to do that. Hardinge is a prime example. I think these company's would pay for a polished product as they dang sure cant do it on their own.
    MTD CNC
    - YouTube

Depressingly I think you are right, however the one big difference is the MAXIA spindle as that is near sub micron.

Also depressingly when Hardinge announced their new Bridgeport V 1320 (something) and there are no pdf's or photos or anything, (but has twin ball screw drives in Y axis) the first thing I did was got to the Quaser site to see which machine Hardinge had hacked ? As Hardinge has no information on the web about it above and beyond a cursory teaser announcement.

11. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to miss this one and I really wanted to go this time So of course I hit the internet to find out..stuff. Nothing..almost nothing. In europe when they have a show you can watch MTDCNC They are knowledgeable and don't ask too many dumb questions. They go direct to the company's and dig out info on new products
    Very few company's do well in that department. If I were younger / better looking / more patience / etc..I would look hard at forming a company to do that. Hardinge is a prime example. I think these company's would pay for a polished product as they dang sure cant do it on their own.
    MTD CNC
    - YouTube
    I'm in.

I have always wondered why there was not a US "Branch" of MTDCNC...

I like the" more patience" bit lol. ("I reserve the right to hit you over the head with this microphone every time you say something patently stupid! Carry on you were saying … " ).

+ I have the British / transatlantic accent, as a British American I have leant how to make myself better understood here. lol (almost).

Although NYCNC seems to be doing a pretty good job in-spite of random camera work and has used up the world's ten year supply of the phrase "Holy Cow", never the less he gets a lot of access... By osmosis his production "value" and technique is improving. (I think his Sandvik factory tour was superb, gave me a lot to think about).

Sandvik Coromant - AMAZING Factory Tour! - YouTube
    Sandvik Coromant Center & CNC Cutting Demos! - YouTube

And then you have TITAN

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOMMMMMM !!!!!

(I think he did a thing at the IMTS Kennametal (sp) desk ? + massive chess board).

Announcing the WINNER of the Kennametal IMTS Contest - YouTube

Here he whispers (Boooooooooooooooooom).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MTD CNC
    - YouTube

Yeah Hardinge used to have these videos of the XT 630 5 ax and they would dub over what sounded like dolphins committing suicide as it's sound track... So must be a friend of friend that does that for them...

^^^ Hardinge WT(Heck)! (no dolphins were hurt making this sound track) (nice machine).

Honestly I think Harding are too cheap to actually PAY for their public outreach many many times I had to contact them and tell them that their links on their web site don't work for their new product announcements. "NEW (amaze-a-balls) Machine XXXX... Click HERE"... so you click here … 404 dead link. Painfully embarrassing. It's a different culture I think at Hardinge, Really nice people and some really really smart people there too... Seems to be it's own confined ecosystem and island and is a law to itself.

They are going through major changes so maybe they are deliberately keeping a low profile...

Some of the Machine tool business is pretty marginal in terms of profits but I DO agree that MTD CNC has set an absolutely outstanding example of what could be done or even better... shhhh.

14. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although NYCNC seems to be doing a pretty good job in-spite of random camera work and has used up the world's ten supply on the phrase "Holy Cow", he gets a lot of access... By osmosis his production "value" and technique is improving. (I think his Sandvik factory tour was superb, gave me a lot to think about).
    The tour videos are sometimes interesting to watch, but it is really hard to sometimes. Every other word is INSANE! or AMAZING! He's like groot, but instead of saying groot it is just insane/amazing. And that stupid fake smile... (someone else wrote that here first LOL) Do you have any other words in your vocabulary?

That and his "fail fast, fail cheap" bs. What, your goal is to fail? No, just try a bunch of random shit to see what works (failing and hopefully cheaply) then pass it off as expert knowledge so us viewers 'can learn something'.

But IMTS... anyone here get to see that DMG Mori gantry make any chips? (DMU 340? Can't remember)
    Every time I went by to see it was just cutting air. Didn't bother asking, it was so busy there. People packed in shoulder to shoulder like a commuter train.

16. Likes cameraman, SRT Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you re-vist the Quaser or Hardinge booths find the oldest Taiwanese in the booth and tell them your a friend of mine as I have taught their techs to scrape. Also search out the HiWin President as he was a student too.... 10 years ago or so Queser was the OEM for Bridgeport CNC's.

18. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    If you re-vist the Quaser or Hardinge booths find the oldest Taiwanese in the booth and tell them your a friend of mine as I have taught their techs to scrape. Also search out the HiWin President as he was a student too.... 10 years ago or so Queser was the OEM for Bridgeport CNC's.
    I remember you mentioning that before and also the photo of your award!

I do pay attention..

_ plus cool visits you have made , and the scraping class I'm kinda interested in signing up for, need to sharpen my skills and bring appropriate HW.

Problem is I'm not at IMTS nor are a LOT of people yet it is time of creating a good buzz that pushes stuff forward especially for NEW releases 'cuz a lot folk hold off on pulling the trigger until they actually see what has been released at IMTS... So not being able to see these new releases (or MTBS not putting them on the web) is fairly counter productive.

There's a lot of momentum that can be created by IMTS off the "show" floor and elsewhere and beyond IMO. Seems a waste not to capitalize on that. Some of the MTBs and vendors are making better use of social media and other outreach techniques.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    The tour videos are sometimes interesting to watch, but it is really hard to sometimes. Every other word is INSANE! or AMAZING! He's like groot, but instead of saying groot it is just insane/amazing. And that stupid fake smile... (someone else wrote that here first LOL) Do you have any other words in your vocabulary?

That and his "fail fast, fail cheap" bs. What, your goal is to fail? No, just try a bunch of random shit to see what works (failing and hopefully cheaply) then pass it off as expert knowledge so us viewers 'can learn something'.

But IMTS... anyone here get to see that DMG Mori gantry make any chips? (DMU 340? Can't remember)
    Every time I went by to see it was just cutting air. Didn't bother asking, it was so busy there. People packed in shoulder to shoulder like a commuter train.

I think NYCNC is getting a lot better. He's not from the world of film/TV/ advertising etc. and is not versed in about 100 years + of media technique … I think he used to be in the Navy so I always assumed what was really going on in his head was like "H*** *** F*** C******** B*** F******* **** " (when they say "swear like a sailor" it's really true), substitute with "Holy Cow" , makes for a good drinking game with shot glasses. He's learning little by little and going up market... Saw him wearing a HERMLE polo shirt in one of his videos the other day.

It does get a little frustrating when he interrupts the people he is interviewing while the interviewee is trying to say something meaningful or useful. He DOES have amazing access.

My business and little ship is the exact opposite engineering approach; they'll figure stuff out and shift ground over the next decade.

I TOTALLY agree about machines cutting air... it IS really frustrating and sometime the show parts they have on display are not all the great either … There's no hands on metrology stand lol ;-).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    "Fail fast/Fail Cheap" is product design 101. Instead of taking a concept and fiddle fucking with it until you think it's perfect, just go bang out prototypes and go actually see the thing working. It's why Apple has one of the world's nicest 5 axis machine shops one wall away from the design studio. They'll sketch out 20-30 ideas for something and have them built over a couple of days to actually see what those ideas look like. Same for their mechanical engineering labs, same for their software teams.

The best product designers I know don't have shamanistic insights into what people want, or magical powers of form; they just work their asses off doing iterations until they find something that works perfectly.

22. Likes rcoope liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they just work their asses off doing iterations until they find something that works perfectly.
    When I build fixtures that is how I get a good result. Get something on paper quickly, then start digging into each aspect of the design. You don't have to build it, but you at least have to model it before you write it off. Whenever I have pondered the details, it paralyzed me and added tons of time to the completion date. Better to be 90% of the way there with the design than 0%

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally got down there today and actually got everything knocked out that I needed to. New Machine Day thread coming soon...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Finally got down there today and actually got everything knocked out that I needed to. New Machine Day thread coming soon...
    Very very nice :-)

@Rick make sure the Matsuura guys show you exactly how to configure CAMPLETE in such a way that it can run real time via computer and cable link to E stop/ soft stop and retract the tool / spindle safely when it detects a potential collision ahead of time (look ahead). [Before they break the machine down at IMTS].

I know you mentioned there was an educational component to your shop / work further on down the road (that might be very useful and save you $ down the road / worry + enhanced safety of the machine/ less likelihood of being crashed by trainees not that familiar with the machine and workflow).

Easier to get the skinny on that there than be left holding the baby later on... Extra time and expense and leg work to make that all come right if they haven't sorted it for you 100% when they go to re-install that machine on your shop floor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Titan (Gilroy) visits / checks out ATHENA from Makino

https://www.facebook.com/MakinoMachi...6640839385342/

Facebook

Makino - Home | Facebook

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fail Fast..yea no thanks. Its those kind of idea bullshit that gets pushed into these vids when you have your own shop. I think you would have to be all in on a video production company, like the British one.
    It would not be easy as it would be like trying to sell cad cam to a shop that doesn't have it It would take time for sure $$$

As for what apple when did they last do something new, not just a redesign of current products? Plus they have 285 billion cash on hand..last quarter..not sure they would be a good example for any business type

Congrats on the MX 520 those look awesome
    Gary

28. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually the Yamazen service tech that will do the install was with me on the floor working with the Matsuura engineer on some things on the new controller. He lives right in town and so far Yamazen has been great about getting him to my shop when I need him. Matsuura is also working with FANUC on a better GUI for the probing cycles, but for now it will actually be similar to how they get called up in the Brothers. As for the educational side, we're going to have a very crawl/walk/run progression, and we'll be posting to CAMplete, and then posting from there to the machine. I actually found there are a lot of features in CAMplete that will mean I can modify toolpaths there instead of having to go back to my CAM and repost to CAMplete. I had to make sure to ask every workholding and tooling company with whom I spoke "can I get .STP solid models for my simulation?"

I also got to talk to CAMplete and Autodesk about post processing and integration of some of the features from Partmaker/FeatureCAM and Powermill over the coming months. It was cool to see how much crossover there was like that - employees from other companies right there to talk to customers of the companies their products support.

I spoke with the Lang Technovation guys about the workholding we're putting on the MX-520 as well. I'm a sucker for the fan that they make, and they had a huge model of it over the booth, which I thought clever.

Tsugami (REM Sales) had a very cool quick change tooling setup featured, which is going to be right in line with our philosophy of "tools live in their holders." It could really effect switchover time on something like Swiss turn. I also saw a B0326-II making chips, which is the model we've got coming next week, and got to talk to someone from out East on the M08SY and got a ton of information that the local guys didn't know (it isn't a very popular model but God knows why, the thing is amazing and downright cheap).

30. Likes cameraman, Cycle1000 liked this post