What's new
What's new

Good place to send a 15K Okuma HMC spindle for a rebuild?

Chrisvector

Plastic
We have to send the spindle from our 2007 Okuma MA-400 out for a rebuild. It is a 15K spindle. I was wondering where you guys have sent spindles to? In the past we have dealt with SPS spindle and Motor city spindle repair. Both good places but we were looking to get a few more quotes.

We have to send the spindle from our 2007 Okuma MA-400 out for a rebuild. It is a 15K spindle. I was wondering where you guys have sent spindles to? In the past we have dealt with SPS spindle and Motor city spindle repair. Both good places but we were looking to get a few more quotes.

If that's the second time you've sent the same 10 year old spindle out, I would say the places mentioned are NOT "good".

My first thought was how did you wreck the 15k spindle? It's not even the 30. So it got crashed, okay. I would contact Hartwig, but they're West Coast. I forget the name of the Okuma people East Coast, but I would talk to them-not some hack in Detroit.

R

I would talk to these guys: Precision Spindle Repair Service & Parts | SPS Spindle | www.spsspindle.com

They're not that far from you (New Hampshire), and they have a good rep from what I've seen.

It's interesting, there's actually a cluster of spindle rebuilders up here, I think one of them was the "parent" of the others. The guys who did my 40 taper regrind did a good job, but if I had more complex work to do I'd contact the company above first.

If you do use them, let me know what you think of their service. I haven't toured their place yet, might try to do that soon.

Edit: D'oh! I just read your post again and saw that SPS WAS one of the companies you used. In that case, I'd be interested in your review of them, if you'd like to share it.

I think that is one of the integrated spindle/motor combinations. Saw one apart at Okuma in NC and it looked like a bear to rebuild. I know that ours are rated for 20K hours, are over on hours or did you crash it bad?

i use SPS and have never had a problem. they came in and tested each spindle, gave reports on each one and repaired what needed to be fixed. one of them was an okuma 8k

I also recommend SPS SPS Spindle Parts & Service. They have done at least a few spindles for us, including a 30K with ceramic bearings. SPS is a top notch company for sure.

Thanks for the responses. We bought the machine used 6 months ago. We do not know what the previous owners did to the spindle. We have only had one minor crash.

We noticed when we bought the machine that the page the in the parts manual had greasy finger prints on it so we are not totally surprised that there is an issue. Even with the cost of the rebuild the machine was a good deal.

I am thinking we are going to go with SPS again. They did a good job on a spindle from one of our verticals.

I am thinking we are going to go with SPS again. They did a good job on a spindle from one of our verticals.

They're about 45 minutes from my place, and I've wanted an excuse to visit their shop. If you want, let me know when they're working on your spindle and I can pop over there, take a few pictures, and post them here.

Try Galaxy Industries in canton Michigan
I’ve used MC in the past and was less than satisfied.
Place is a mess. I’ve been using Galaxy for a while now their sales rep name is Amy she can help you out

Back