What's new
What's new

Grade 5 titanium machines...

macds

Hot Rolled
So nicely!

Wow, am I surprised.
A bit tougher to get really nice surface finishes out of.
I was really expecting my latest project for the local university engineering program to be a prick.
I'd take this stuff over super duplex or 316L any day of the week.

Anyone with with similar experience?

It took me a few seconds to realize that the first sentence of your post was a continuation of the title. I thought you were asking about machines made out of Titanium. In other words, your title sucks.

But yes, Titanium is a pleasure for us and I'd take it over 304 / 316 any day of the week. And the best part is everybody expects Ti parts to cost 30x what a stainless part does, so when you get good with it, you can make some real money.

I machine Ti all day everyday multiple lathes and mills sometimes at 900sfm. give me Ti over 316 any day of the week sometimes i wonder why EVERYTHING isnt made of Ti :crazy:

The only shitty thing about titanium is tapping. You can tap stainless or what ever other material with a roll tap. Titanium pretty much always have to threadmill... even the fancy emuge taps dont work worth a shit.

roll tap 4-40 all day balax tin coated no issues, just gotta know how to work it. you cant just drive the tap in there, creates too much heat, gotta work it in slowly so it dont work harden . But yea for the bigger sizes threadmill is king

roll tap 4-40 all day balax tin coated no issues, just gotta know how to work it. you cant just drive the tap in there, creates too much heat, gotta work it in slowly so it dont work harden . But yea for the bigger sizes threadmill is king

It is not recommended to roll tap titanium.

What does that mean? "Can't just drive the tap in there... gotta work it in slowly"? How do you do that on a CNC LOL

What does that mean? "Can't just drive the tap in there... gotta work it in slowly"? How do you do that on a CNC LOL

who said anything about cnc. we start the tap in the machine then finish tap to depth outside machine. takes about 40 seconds to tap both holes to depth, well worth it considering the cost of the part and snapping one off in the machine

who said anything about cnc. we start the tap in the machine then finish tap to depth outside machine. takes about 40 seconds to tap both holes to depth, well worth it considering the cost of the part and snapping one off in the machine

Thats what we do on prototypes... I just use new cut taps and throw 1-1.5 threads in the part and have to tap offline with feel and tapping fluid. Not fun when you have production parts

Thats what we do on prototypes... I just use new cut taps and throw 1-1.5 threads in the part and have to tap offline with feel and tapping fluid. Not fun when you have production parts

One trick i was shown was to grind back the tap behind the cutting face, so the part of the tap behind the cutting face didn't drag on the area of the thread already cut. that was shown to my be an experienced machinist from Rockwell who cut and tapped Ti for years.

Don't know if it's recommended or not but we do it all day long without a problem. Everything form 2-56 to 1/4-20 and it works great.

+1 on running it slow and preventing heat buildup.

One trick i was shown was to grind back the tap behind the cutting face, so the part of the tap behind the cutting face didn't drag on the area of the thread already cut. that was shown to my be an experienced machinist from Rockwell who cut and tapped Ti for years.

I've done that in a pinch and it works quite well. These days though, there are a lot of titanium specific taps available.

Back