Grade 5 titanium machines...
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milverton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    164

    Default Grade 5 titanium machines...

    So nicely!

    Wow, am I surprised.
    A bit tougher to get really nice surface finishes out of.
    I was really expecting my latest project for the local university engineering program to be a prick.
    I'd take this stuff over super duplex or 316L any day of the week.

    Anyone with with similar experience?

  2. Likes TheTalman1 liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    near Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,397
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    319
    Likes (Received)
    758

    Default

    Titanium machines quite well with the right tools.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Paradise, Ca
    Posts
    2,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    721
    Likes (Received)
    1248

    Default

    It took me a few seconds to realize that the first sentence of your post was a continuation of the title. I thought you were asking about machines made out of Titanium. In other words, your title sucks.

    But yes, Titanium is a pleasure for us and I'd take it over 304 / 316 any day of the week. And the best part is everybody expects Ti parts to cost 30x what a stainless part does, so when you get good with it, you can make some real money.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    north of Bean town
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    56
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    I machine Ti all day everyday multiple lathes and mills sometimes at 900sfm. give me Ti over 316 any day of the week sometimes i wonder why EVERYTHING isnt made of Ti

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gilroy CA
    Posts
    4,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3092
    Likes (Received)
    2327

    Default

    The only shitty thing about titanium is tapping. You can tap stainless or what ever other material with a roll tap. Titanium pretty much always have to threadmill... even the fancy emuge taps dont work worth a shit.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    north of Bean town
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    56
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    roll tap 4-40 all day balax tin coated no issues, just gotta know how to work it. you cant just drive the tap in there, creates too much heat, gotta work it in slowly so it dont work harden . But yea for the bigger sizes threadmill is king

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gilroy CA
    Posts
    4,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3092
    Likes (Received)
    2327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tay2daizzo8 View Post
    roll tap 4-40 all day balax tin coated no issues, just gotta know how to work it. you cant just drive the tap in there, creates too much heat, gotta work it in slowly so it dont work harden . But yea for the bigger sizes threadmill is king
    It is not recommended to roll tap titanium.

    What does that mean? "Can't just drive the tap in there... gotta work it in slowly"? How do you do that on a CNC LOL

  9. Likes Busted Knuckle liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    north of Bean town
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    56
    Likes (Received)
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    It is not recommended to roll tap titanium.

    What does that mean? "Can't just drive the tap in there... gotta work it in slowly"? How do you do that on a CNC LOL
    who said anything about cnc. we start the tap in the machine then finish tap to depth outside machine. takes about 40 seconds to tap both holes to depth, well worth it considering the cost of the part and snapping one off in the machine

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gilroy CA
    Posts
    4,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3092
    Likes (Received)
    2327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tay2daizzo8 View Post
    who said anything about cnc. we start the tap in the machine then finish tap to depth outside machine. takes about 40 seconds to tap both holes to depth, well worth it considering the cost of the part and snapping one off in the machine
    Thats what we do on prototypes... I just use new cut taps and throw 1-1.5 threads in the part and have to tap offline with feel and tapping fluid. Not fun when you have production parts

  12. Likes TheTalman1 liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    725
    Likes (Received)
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Thats what we do on prototypes... I just use new cut taps and throw 1-1.5 threads in the part and have to tap offline with feel and tapping fluid. Not fun when you have production parts
    One trick i was shown was to grind back the tap behind the cutting face, so the part of the tap behind the cutting face didn't drag on the area of the thread already cut. that was shown to my be an experienced machinist from Rockwell who cut and tapped Ti for years.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1087
    Likes (Received)
    1099

    Default

    Grade 5 taps fine if you use taps made for the job.

    These have always worked reliably for me https://www.reime-noris.de/eng/pdf_e...15_Ti_HSSE.pdf

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    It is not recommended to roll tap titanium.
    Don't know if it's recommended or not but we do it all day long without a problem. Everything form 2-56 to 1/4-20 and it works great.

    +1 on running it slow and preventing heat buildup.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,507
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    559
    Likes (Received)
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    One trick i was shown was to grind back the tap behind the cutting face, so the part of the tap behind the cutting face didn't drag on the area of the thread already cut. that was shown to my be an experienced machinist from Rockwell who cut and tapped Ti for years.
    I've done that in a pinch and it works quite well. These days though, there are a lot of titanium specific taps available.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2