What's new
What's new

Graphite Milling Machines

Adams

Plastic
I'm looking for recommendations for CNC mills for graphite. I'm looking at both the high end of the spectrum and the lower end of the spectrum in terms of features/accuracy.

These need to be dedicated graphite machines, no retrofit or anything required.

Anybody got any favorites?

I run a Mikron HSM500 "moldmaster" that came setup as a graphite machine.

We pulled the dust collector off and run copper on it, but it does work well with some quirks. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about it.

I run a Makino V22. It's on the small end of the line but we don't make anything over about 1/2 cubic inch.
40000 rpm HSK E32 spindle. Negative pressure enclosure with a dust collector that is almost as big as the machine. We run mostly tungsten copper on it but we do run graphite occasionally if we need to do something larger.
Extremely accurate and quiet. Quiet enough that with the spindle at 40000 rpm it's not any louder than the Wire EDM next door. Fanuc 31i with the Makino Pro5 software on top. 30 tools standard. Probe and Laser tool setting. If it fits your size requirements it's a great machine. Under 300k.
I'll answer questions as well if you have any.

I don't know if Milltronics is still trying to market a graphite machine...but the new one I ran 10 yrs. ago was complete joke from day one. Spindle and motion control problems. The black fiberglass housing was the only thing that worked.

Makino F5, even better a Roeder. That's high end in my books. I have also ran low end machines to cut graphite. What's your budget and how much you need to cut. Roeders is a full time job to keep it running... lightning quick.

+1 For the Roku Roku, ours has been working around the clock for years with a robot. The thing has never had any issues to speak of. Exclusive for carbon only, I suppose some copper if needed, but it does not have a decent way of getting "chips" out.

On the high end the new Makinos are great machines. On the low end there are a few options out there but only one comes to mind, Chmer machines. They are not super high performance but there claim to fame is oil flooded cutting for zero graphite dust issues.

I like the old Makino SNC's except for the low power dust extraction which is only a problem if you are hogging with large cutters. Stay away from the 1st generation SNC's!!! Avoid them like the plague, actually. The 1st gen spindles are a very, very poor design and you will fight rebuilding them! Our original spindle lasted a long time but near the end of life we went through numerous spindles which was very expensive. I have heard the newer gen SNC's are good machines.

Probably my favorite old graphite mill of all time are OKK DGM mills. We had a 400 model which was small and has a very solid design; weight was about 11K pounds. The main casting is tall with the table being stationary. On the top end it is a bridge design and ours had a BT30 30K spindle with ceramic spindle bearings. The bearings last long if you don't crash it. I can't recall what control it had for sure but I want to say it was a Mits 635. Very nice old machines for sure.

Well what kind of work are you doing? If it’s mostly 3ax stuff I’d really look into the sodick uh650l... we love ours can’t go wrong with the linear motors... 40k spindle standard...

We just recently added a erowa compact 80 robot to a new Roku HC 658ll mill. I was wondering if there was a program like tncremo used to compile programs for a fanuc control. I haven't ran a fanuc control fo over 20 years. The guys at the shop who run our other Roku's act like it's fine to program 150+ electrode calls at the control. I'm used to using tncremo to write pallet programs for our mikron and just dropping them to the Heidenhain control.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My last shop was using a Vibra-Free set up for dust extraction as well as a Makino SNC. Both were great trode machines, I liked the Makino more. Both however lacked at dust collecting. We currently have a Creative that seems to handle the dust well however I dont run this machine. The finishes and accuracy are good on all machines mentioned. I would look into a used SNC if it was still in good shape. Only downfall of that is you will have to buy quite a few different types of oils from Makino and they charge an arm and a leg.

We just recently added a erowa compact 80 robot to a new Roku HC 658ll mill. I was wondering if there was a program like tncremo used to compile programs for a fanuc control. I haven't ran a fanuc control fo over 20 years. The guys at the shop who run our other Roku's act like it's fine to program 150+ electrode calls at the control. I'm used to using tncremo to write pallet programs for our mikron and just dropping them to the Heidenhain control.

You're going to get way better results if you start your own thread with this specific question (make the title of the thread very clear as to what you're asking) than replying to an 8 month old post... Most people are going to miss your (barely relevant to the OP) question at the bottom of the post and reply to the OP instead. See PegroPro's reply above mine for confirmation.

You're going to get way better results if you start your own thread with this specific question (make the title of the thread very clear as to what you're asking) than replying to an 8 month old post... Most people are going to miss your (barely relevant to the OP) question at the bottom of the post and reply to the OP instead. See PegroPro's reply above mine for confirmation.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Back