What's new
What's new

Guhring drill quality problems

cgrim3

Cast Iron
Hi all,

Listen, I am the first one to say that Guhring makes a top notch drill, but I think I may try something else in the near future. We mostly use Guhring for HSS & powdered metal drills and use GARR for carbide drills.

Anyway, we keep having problems with the recently purchased Guhring drills. They keep cutting oversize. I am not sure why. We indicate them in the drill chuck on the cnc mill every time we use them and they still cut way oversize.

We are a two man shop and sub work out to another shop when we get too busy. Today, the machinist at the other shop called and asked if an oversized hole in the part he was working on for us would be okay. He said that the Guhring drills he had were ground off center and cut the hole oversize. He then said that a couple years ago, he had to return a whole bunch of Guhring drills because they did not have the tips ground on them.

Anyway, has anybody else noticed quality control issues with their Guhring drills? I mean for the money you pay for them, they better damn be near perfect.

I think I am going to give Nachi drills a go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Never ever had a bad Nachi drill. Amazing support and incredible product. The flat bottom aqua series are amazing. The powdered ones are very high value. I just had to get a Guhring this past week because I finally found something Nachi did not do. They don't see a need for 82 degree countersinks! Can't blame them.

-Drew

OSG EX Gold. Stupid expensive but IME extremely reliable on-size and long-lasting.

Regards.

Mike

I wonder why these are so expensive? I priced one the other day and it was $77 Canadian for a single "X" drill in stub length. Plus shipping. Seems crazy to me. Its still just a HSS drill at the end of the day

They do work great! We drilled thousands and thousands of holes in stainless with a single drill

Any thoughts?

Ermm.. they started in Germany.... added England... Japan.. Czechoslovakia.. South Korea... and then they went and f**ked it ALL up .....by starting production in instant-gratification, recreational drugs, junk-food lard-assed and suicidally bad healthed, gender experimental, and all-day earbuds USA?

Tried to get good help yerself, lately?

What did you THINK was going to happen?

No, Joe-Buyed-in. China is NOT going to "eat our lunch".

They don't consider OUR idea of "lunch" even fit for the four-legged hogs.

:(

Not sure what sizes you're using. But the absolute best small carbide drill I have found is surprisingly NOT the most expensive.

MA Ford... Inexpensive, off the shelf, American made, and if you need a weird size, they grind it, coat it, and ship it quick, without any real markup for making a "special".

Not to jump on the bandwagon against Guhring , I use and still like their products I had a job with a M6 thread a few years ago, tapped the hole and the thread turned out to be a 1/4-20. So how did M6 get laser etched on that tap? Thermite may have touched on something.

I would go to OSG as my next choice. Guhring is always my first choice.

I just sent Guhring a link to this post. Hope they respond.

We use plenty of guhring drills and I have not had a problem with them. We use mostly 5514 drills and they seem to have a good tool life on them.

Not to jump on the bandwagon against Guhring , I use and still like their products I had a job with a M6 thread a few years ago, tapped the hole and the thread turned out to be a 1/4-20. So how did M6 get laser etched on that tap? Thermite may have touched on something.

On a related note, we ordered some 4-40 shcs recently and got sent M3 :(

OSG EX Gold. Stupid expensive but IME extremely reliable on-size and long-lasting.

Regards.

Mike

I wouldn't say they are stupid expensive, but yeah they are more than the average drill of the same style.
a 5mm Ex-SUS-Gold is only $20 on MSC with no discount.
But as you say those drills are amazing especially in stainless and worth every penny.
The only drills I use by Guhring are solid carbide and I can't recall ever getting anything other than perfect quality drills from them :knock on wood:

But as you say those drills are amazing especially in stainless and worth every penny.
The only drills I use by Guhring are solid carbide and I can't recall ever getting anything other than perfect quality drills from them :knock on wood:

How do the Guhring carbide drills compare to the OSG EX in stainless?

Hi all,

Listen, I am the first one to say that Guhring makes a top notch drill, but I think I may try something else in the near future. We mostly use Guhring for HSS & powdered metal drills and use GARR for carbide drills.

Anyway, we keep having problems with the recently purchased Guhring drills. They keep cutting oversize. I am not sure why. We indicate them in the drill chuck on the cnc mill every time we use them and they still cut way oversize.

We are a two man shop and sub work out to another shop when we get too busy. Today, the machinist at the other shop called and asked if an oversized hole in the part he was working on for us would be okay. He said that the Guhring drills he had were ground off center and cut the hole oversize. He then said that a couple years ago, he had to return a whole bunch of Guhring drills because they did not have the tips ground on them.

Anyway, has anybody else noticed quality control issues with their Guhring drills? I mean for the money you pay for them, they better damn be near perfect.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

pics or it didnt happen

I think no matter what they cost a drill should be looked at before using it.
It takes a minute or two to see the clearance is going the right way and the point is on center.

That is why they are paying us at the higher rate...If one is making a higher-rate.

Guhring and nobody is above making a mistake. Final simple inspection rather than scrapping a pats/parts.

I tried to tap a 10-32 hole with a 3/8-16 tap a few days ago (happens every two years or so),your right, I think Thermite is onto something.........

How do the Guhring carbide drills compare to the OSG EX in stainless?

Comparing solid carbide to hss isn't really something you can do accurately.For one TSC is a major factor.

Of course the carbide will do it a lot faster, I guess it all boils down to how much you want to spend and how quickly you need to drill the holes.

I think no matter what they cost a drill should be looked at before using it.
It takes a minute or two to see the clearance is going the right way and the point is on center.

That is why they are paying us at the higher rate...If one is making a higher-rate.

Guhring and nobody is above making a mistake. Final simple inspection rather than scrapping a pats/parts.

I've bought some horror freight stuff in the past for home use in my garage years back. Bought a set of drills and OMG! Probably 75% of them had the clearance angle the wrong way so the cutting edge was lower than the back. LoL :D

General disarray, are you a guhring rep lol? Seriously, why is it so hard to believe? I, personally, feel like Guhring is just riding on their name.

Not sure what sizes you're using. But the absolute best small carbide drill I have found is surprisingly NOT the most expensive.

MA Ford... Inexpensive, off the shelf, American made, and if you need a weird size, they grind it, coat it, and ship it quick, without any real markup for making a "special".

I'll second this. :D MA Ford has performed better for me than Guhring.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's with all the hype about Guhring. They make an alright product, but MA Ford, OSG, Kennemetal, Fullerton, and SGS can easily beat them in most drilling applications.

Back