Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Haas CNC - probing complex parts

I have a fixture with cavities that hold parts.
    This fixture is frequently removed on and off the table.
    Because the fixture extends past the XY travels (20" x 30"), getting the XY consistently at 90° is impossible.

Is there a method to probe multiple specific parts of the fixture, which also factors in the angles? Whether that involves making bore holes or other indicators. I'm looking for a tolerance of -0.025 mm (-0.001") across the fixture, in terms of position.
    This is a very important step, because the stock placed into the fixture is on the 2nd setup, where matching the front/back is necessary.

The reason for probing the fixture, is to get the XY, and when the stock is placed, we probe the Z.

capture.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you probe off of the front and/or back of one or more of the parts once they are on the fixture? Maybe you need to clear some of the extra material in Z before doing that, but you can get the fixture on there close, deck off some Z, then probe the parts.

Regards.

Mike

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately removing from Z means we've already entered the second setup.
    All I can think of is drilling holes through the stock, and using the reverse side as bore probes.

Ideally we only probe the fixture once, and it calculates the position of all the parts. Even if this involves probing in multiple spots.

4. Likes kushcausedcoma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think member PROBE (on this board) just wrote something about that.

You could always probe, say, the front left pocket, and right rear pocket, and from that compute locations but also any rotations needed. Then apply the rotation, and do some test probing.

So far, I've not seen how to do this from the console interface, you'd have to write an actual program. (In part because you only want to set work offset once, but might like to *see* that the value would be in multiple places.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any way to put two extra holes in the fixture? Make them align in the X axis and be a known distance apart. I've done this with larger fixtures and just used a center finder and some patience to get things lined up straight. And if you know where either hole is relative to the cavities you've also found a known XY coordinate.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm gonna get hit for this but have to mention that K&T D controls did this for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can do that in many different ways. See the reference manual https://staging-diy.haascnc.com/site...DF?0=%253F1450
    For example you can do it using the variable outputs described on page 4-2 or usnig the feature to feature macro described on page 9-24.

/Staffan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I have a fixture with cavities that hold parts.
    This fixture is frequently removed on and off the table.
    Because the fixture extends past the XY travels (20" x 30"), getting the XY consistently at 90° is impossible.

Is there a method to probe multiple specific parts of the fixture, which also factors in the angles? Whether that involves making bore holes or other indicators. I'm looking for a tolerance of -0.025 mm (-0.001") across the fixture, in terms of position.
    This is a very important step, because the stock placed into the fixture is on the 2nd setup, where matching the front/back is necessary.

The reason for probing the fixture, is to get the XY, and when the stock is placed, we probe the Z.

capture.jpg
    This is what I would do.
    I don't know where the zero of your WCS is placed, let's assume it is in the center of the cavity minimum X minimum Y.Let's assume that WCS is G54 .
    1. Cancel coordinate rotation (G69).
    2.a. Set WCS in X center of the cavity (measure WEB in X)
    #100=#185
    2.b. Set WCS in Y center of the cavity (measure WEB in Y)
    #101=#186
    3. Go to cavity in Y maximum.
    3.a. Measure the cavity in X (measure WEB in X).
    #102=#185
    3.b. Measure the cavity in Y (measure WEB in Y).
    #103=#186
    4.Calculate the angular misalignment of the part:
    #104=ATAN[#102-#100]/[#103-#101]
    5.Rotate the coordinates by the angle in #104, around X0Y0.
    G54
    G68X0Y0R[#104]

Now your coordinate system is aligned with your fixture. AS you are probing in Z only, there is no need th recalibrate the probe in new coordinate system.

10. Likes bryan_machine liked this post