Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    Also I have seen people put a solenoid valve on that line so that it only purges the spindle when running parts, shuts off automatically when the machine is sitting.
    That sounds totally worth it, and they should come from the factory like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    This type of detail is where we are reminded that these machines are really intended to be used in 24hr / day production, not in job shop or small production shops that we are adapting the machines to. With that said, I'm buying a solenoid valve right now...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This type of detail is where we are reminded that these machines are really intended to be used in 24hr / day production, not in job shop or small production shops that we are adapting the machines to. With that said, I'm buying a solenoid valve right now...
    This is something I've been talking in-detail to Yamazen about, and they agree.

It isn't a direct comparison (in many ways), but you can liken it to the Speedio being very much a race car that we're all trying to use as daily drivers. There are a handful of little details that provide minor annoyances, but in the end, you're getting hold of some extraordinary performance.

Unlike the race car comparison though, the details on the Speedio are all fixable. Yamazen is winning in more and more job shops, and they (and Brother) are seeing the opportunity here. I know various initiatives are afoot to smooth over this kinda stuff.

4. Likes [email protected] liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Oh Brother.

6. Likes gkoenig, dstryr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the shops I've been in could probably run half the compressor they do if they just fixed their air leaks and used some of these Vortex tips on their air blow off guns instead of wide open! :

Nozzles Products - Vortex Air

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the very cool things were are seeing even in this thread is the support from Yamazen, i.e. BROTHERFRANK. How many machine tool dealers provide support and solution like this? I can't think if any.Frank has offered and helped implement other things at my shop, to make life easier.
    Thanks Frank!

9. Likes BROTHERFRANK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    One of the very cool things were are seeing even in this thread is the support from Yamazen, i.e. BROTHERFRANK. How many machine tool dealers provide support and solution like this? I can't think if any.Frank has offered and helped implement other things at my shop, to make life easier.
    Thanks Frank!
    Don't forget my contribution of sarcastic remarks!

11. Likes gkoenig, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the shops I've been in could probably run half the compressor they do if they just fixed their air leaks and used some of these Vortex tips on their air blow off guns instead of wide open! :
    I have a brand new line going direct from a 2hp/30 gal compressor directly into the Speedio with a T fitting at the machine to go off to an airhose with one of those nice German prevost air guns.

The fact is, these machines just gobble down air at a tremendous rate. I'll be sitting there, programming for 30 minutes right next to the machine, and the compressor will be on for at least 1/3rd of that. Yea, I under-purchased on the compressor (which I need to fix), but damn... she loves air.

13. Likes [email protected] liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You use one of the Mappable Outputs on the IO board. Map an output to Green (Green Light only comes on when cycle is running). Connect solenoid to the output and put in line of spindle air purge. Viola!
    Something I can't find in the manuals, and I'm a complete moron when it comes to wiring this stuff so it makes me nervous: I understand the IO outputs #100 thru #115 supply 24VDC, correct? If yes, my question is how much power can they safely provide? Or do we need a relay to fire the solenoid valve no matter what?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Don't forget my contribution of sarcastic remarks!
    ALWAYS appreciated. You and the whole Yamazen crew are superb! I love how you guys actually follow through, and things don't disappear into a black hole, never to be heard from again. Worst case is it takes a little while, but always gets taken care of - with emphasis onthe little. Answers and support are usually a couple of hours at most.

16. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nozzles Products - Vortex Air
    I never thought about it... I bought the first air gun that I saw in MacMaster-Carr, without looking air consumption. Maybe is another reason for my excessive air usage. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something I can't find in the manuals, and I'm a complete moron when it comes to wiring this stuff so it makes me nervous: I understand the IO outputs #100 thru #115 supply 24VDC, correct? If yes, my question is how much power can they safely provide? Or do we need a relay to fire the solenoid valve no matter what?
    Each output is rated 300 mA at 24VDC. The info is in Chapter 5 of the Installation manual. Yes please check that the solenoid you use is under the 300 mA max current draw limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Each output is rated 300 mA at 24VDC. The info is in Chapter 5 of the Installation manual. Yes please check that the solenoid you use is under the 300 mA max current draw limit.
    I would have never thought to look in the Installation manual, thanks Frank!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have never thought to look in the Installation manual, thanks Frank!
    It took me a few years to find it!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something like this:

McMaster-Carr

It needs a 24V DC coil. You use one of the Mappable Outputs on the IO board. Map an output to Green (Green Light only comes on when cycle is running). Connect solenoid to the output and put in line of spindle air purge. Voila!
    Thanks! Its great that I ran into this because I was going to research a similar work around. What is the work around for the low air pressure alarm that fires even before the cycle start button goes? Have the turned off? Is that possible? I have not tried to run machine after turning the air on while the low pressure alarm is flashing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1966 View Post
    Thanks! Its great that I ran into this because I was going to research a similar work around. What is the work around for the low air pressure alarm that fires even before the cycle start button goes? Have the turned off? Is that possible? I have not tried to run machine after turning the air on while the low pressure alarm is flashing.
    Hit "Reset" to clear the alarm. Or are you asking a different question?

Note that you need to have air pressure to the machine BEFORE you power it up, otherwise it will alarm. You can't power it up, then while it's booting up turn on the air.

Regards.

Mike

23. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    Hit "Reset" to clear the alarm. Or are you asking a different question?

Note that you need to have air pressure to the machine BEFORE you power it up, otherwise it will alarm. You can't power it up, then while it's booting up turn on the air.

Regards.

Mike
    It sounds like people are adding a solenoid to fire and open air supply when the cycle start button is pressed and then close at the end of the cycle.

If that is true, then I'm trying to understand how they overcome the low air pressure alarm.

I manually turn my air valve when I'm not running and would love to have it happen automatically.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like people are adding a solenoid to fire and open air supply when the cycle start button is pressed and then close at the end of the cycle.

If that is true, then I'm trying to understand how they overcome the low air pressure alarm.

I manually turn my air valve when I'm not running and would love to have it happen automatically.
    You put the solenoid onto the line feeding spindle air blow, downstream of the pressure sensor.

26. Likes BROTHERFRANK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Finegrain said, just hit the reset after pressure is up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like people are adding a solenoid to fire and open air supply only to the spindle purge air when the cycle start button is pressed and then close at the end of the cycle.
    Added the bold part to hopefully help.