Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As to you question about 1998 to present machines and being more productive
    O hell YES

It kinda goes back to the chicken and the Egg . In that its hard to say if the better cutters have pushed the controls and drives to be faster or if the faster controls and drives have made the tools become better.

one of the first jobs I got coming out of college was running a NC mill... Not CNC but NC , as in paper tape with ZERO program editing ... if you wanted to do cutter comp you punched a new tape or ground the cutter. I remember the first time I got to work on a bridgeport Boss machine that had a computer and you could read like eight characters at a time and scroll side to side to see the rest of the line of code.
    It was so nice to go in and move a hole or make a change in the program and not have it take hours to do it . After that i got put into doing lathe work and got to play with punch board machines were you would program them by moving pins around the boards to get the functions you wanted the slides to do. life was good after I made it back to mills and by that time we had some Fanuc controls with like 6" screens on them and it you taped cardboard around the screen you could read it on sunny days.

Point being I have been around CNC mills before they were CNC . and its been my feeling that machines take a big jump over about a 10 year time frame. meaning what is state of the art well be normal in 10 years and what is normal today well be old school in 10 years.

There is nothing wrong with 20 year old machines but sticking modern hi surface footage cutters in one well not be the same as putting them in a newer machine with faster control and faster drives.

20 years ago no one was cutting at 500 or 600 IPM and today its just normal to run that fast... my 20 year old Fadal rapids at 400 IPM and does best cutting under 100 IPM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    Vancebiker

You have no idea what went on between me and the dealer .
    Absolutely right, I don't know. That's why I said "Not saying this is happening here, but something to think about.....".

I do know that sales guys sometimes are not very responsive to potential customers that they know or have heard are "difficult". Not saying you fit that description.

Dealers in the NW are not slackers IME. Back when I was still working, I could call any of the larger ones with an inquiry and expect a visit within a day or two. Sometimes even the same day. Your location may slow that response some.

Machine tool sales guys are kind of like sharks smelling blood though. If they scent a deal in the making they are all over it unless it maybe smells a bit like a trap.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    Comparing a Super minimill to a S500 is a lot closer but still from the numbers I have seen the Minimill is about half the price.
    I was going to get a Mini until financing worked out to get an S500. The S500 is about double the basic mini mill, not the super. You also get a fair amount of stuff default with the Brother, like rigid tapping, so the difference is less. They do seem to be in a class of their own including the Robodrill, which seems to be almost identical. The mid size Robodrill has a really tiny door compared to the S500 which is unfortunate.

4. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I was going to get a Mini until financing worked out to get an S500. The S500 is about double the basic mini mill, not the super. You also get a fair amount of stuff default with the Brother, like rigid tapping, so the difference is less. They do seem to be in a class of their own including the Robodrill, which seems to be almost identical. The mid size Robodrill has a really tiny door compared to the S500 which is unfortunate.
    Agree. I had a Robo. Decent, fairly fast, and reliable machine. The Brother is a step up, IMHO.

6. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one upside I can see with the Robo is repair guys for Fanuc are every were ...

Does Robo have a cheap chipper option? Even a auger would work ,, and from what I have found by using augers and conveyors is you go cheap or pricey.

A cheap Auger you can clean out the chip pan to get the fines out or you go with like a pricey micro fine conveyor ... just a normal conveyor washes off all the fines in your tank and you cant get at them to clean out.

A friend has a Webb mill 2414 ( made by First) and I watched him shovel a trash can of alum chips out of his sump and thought he was just bitching, tell he told me he does it every morning ... After seeing that I had to rethink my bitching about having to dump the return screen on Haas augers.