What's new
What's new

Haas DS30 Y BMT Turret Bearing Failure Due To Rust After 7 Months ???

turnmill10

Plastic
We purchased our lathe about 7 months ago. 2 weeks ago, the turret stopped clamping in one position. The Haas tech disassembled the head and found the turret rotation bearings had rust mixed with the grease. It appeared coolant had leaked into the turret bearing through two proximity switches which sit under a cover between the turret and the head. We were informed by our HFO that Haas will not warranty the machine because the rust may be caused by having an incorrect coolant concentration. I believe the turret bearing assembly should be seal from the factory to prevent contamination. We are worried this could occur again. Has anyone else had trouble with coolant entering the turret bearing housing on the new BMT turret, or with warranty being voided due to rust?

That seems like total BS to me. Coolant should not be getting into the bearings and therefore the coolant concentration is an irrelevant issue. Good luck with this, but I would start start looking for a service manager to have a conversation with. Good luck!

Agreed. Someone in your organization needs to step up and play hardball. Unless your machine is a rusted mess and there are other factors we don't know about, it would appear Haas is on the hook here and needs to eat it.

Follow up...

That seems like total BS to me. Coolant should not be getting into the bearings and therefore the coolant concentration is an irrelevant issue. Good luck with this, but I would start start looking for a service manager to have a conversation with. Good luck!

I spoke with the technician yesterday as he was reassembling the turret, and asked him what would prevent this from happening again in 7 months. His reply was "if you want I could put some silicon on the proximity sensors to keep the coolant out". It sounds like sealing the turret bearings is an 'extra'!!! We definitely going to have a conversation with someone...

Hello!
Can you share the result of solving your problem?
Did you have a rusty BMT block landing hole?

Back