What's new
What's new

Haas G47 Engraving Macro

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Originally posted in the macro fundementals thread, but getting no responses so thought that it may indeed be a Haas issue, rather than a macro issue. Have no idea, actually. Still, posting in case someone is aware of a work-around for using a variable in the specified text area of the Haas G47 macro.

Original post -

I'm not sure if this is a Haas issue specifically, or a macro issue...

Is it possible to use a variable's value for the text to be engraved while using Haas's G47 macro function**?

In other words, when using the P0 (value), or even the P1 (value), can one reference a variable?
In essence - P0(#505)

All manner of mayhem broke loose when I tried so I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but want to make sure that it is even possible.

Thank you.

** - G47 Text Engraving (Group 00)

* E - Plunge feed rate (units/min)
F - Engraving feedrate (units/min)
* I - Angle of rotation (-360. to +360.); default is 0
* J - Height of text in in/mm (minimum = 0.001 inch);
default is 1.0 inch
P - 0 for literal text engraving
- 1 for sequential serial number engraving
- 32-126 for ASCII characters
* R - Return plane
* X - X start of engraving
* Y - Y start of engraving
* Z - Depth of cut

*indicates optional

On follow up, I was able to accomplish my goal, but would still like to know if it is possible to call the contents of a variable instead of literally specifying the text to be machined/engraved.

Thanks.

Since G47 is a Haas specific function, your thought that it is a Haas issue is correct.

There are many engraving macros around for Fanuc where the number to be engraved can be stored in a variable.

Never tried this, and I don't have macros enabled, but since G47 reads what's inside the parentheses, could it be something like G47P1.....([#504]) ?

Never tried this, and I don't have macros enabled, but since G47 reads what's inside the parentheses, could it be something like G47P1.....([#504]) ?

No, I tried that. It did not like that.

Since G47 is a Haas specific function, your thought that it is a Haas issue is correct.
There are many engraving macros around for Fanuc where the number to be engraved can be stored in a variable.

Yeah... I think I will do looking for one of those, anyway. Apparently, Haas is using some of the same variables that are being used for our probing macros and it is causing a lot of havoc one the G47 is run. I don't like it one bit, so it's time to get straight up Fanuc'd and toss the haasome interference.

Are you aware of any that let one set the text height? ( this may be normal and commonplace, as I am simply ignorant of what's out there, available freely )

Thanks.

No, I tried that. It did not like that.

Yeah... I think I will do looking for one of those, anyway. Apparently, Haas is using some of the same variables that are being used for our probing macros and it is causing a lot of havoc one the G47 is run. I don't like it one bit, so it's time to get straight up Fanuc'd and toss the haasome interference.

Are you aware of any that let one set the text height? ( this may be normal and commonplace, as I am simply ignorant of what's out there, available freely )

Thanks.
Well, mine can at least set height.

How much G-code do you know? I can post mine if you wanna tinker with it to suit your needs. Isn't really rocket science, it's just tedious coding all the characters.

.......Are you aware of any that let one set the text height? ( this may be normal and commonplace, as I am simply ignorant of what's out there, available freely )

Thanks.

The engraving macro I have does let one scale the character height, but requires the control to have G51 scaling option. It was specific to some aerospace applications for transferring 8 or 9 digit forging S/N data to the part being machined. It would require some modification to make if more general purpose. It was written some 20 years ago so I don't recall all the details , but I think the default character height was .1". PM if you would like a copy to peruse.

The engraving macro I have does let one scale the character height, but requires the control to have G51 scaling option. It was specific to some aerospace applications for transferring 8 or 9 digit forging S/N data to the part being machined. It would require some modification to make if more general purpose. It was written some 20 years ago so I don't recall all the details , but I think the default character height was .1". PM if you would like a copy to peruse.
... and mine creates the character grid coordinates by a loop, so not dependant on that, but on the other hand I cheated with G52.

Should rewrite that but hell it's working...

Back