What's new
What's new

HAAS grease reservoir re-fill

draganm

Aluminum
a search produced no results. I have the red grease with no pressure gauge, which according to HAAS is the GREASE, REFILL MOBIL SHC 007 - 1 QT. front of panel confirms is Mobilith SCH-007

Looks pretty straightforward (at least until you run it dry, which i haven't done, then you need to do an air-purge). A quart of grease is 20 bucks.

Anything unexpected or do the instructions cover everything pretty well?

thanks

Minimum Lubrication - Axis - Grease Reservoir - SHC007 - Refill - AD0011

For a VF2 with the purple grease, you just unscrew the filter and replace it or fill it with the bulk jugs that you can also buy from Haas. A refill should last 6-12 months depending on how much your machine is powered up.

it's Red, Mobil grease.

6 to 12 months! what's in the can is still the original grease from 6 years ago!

my HFO doubled the grease use on my older red grease machine ,,, you should ask your HFO when you order the grease about resetting the cycle time on the control ,,,

my HFO doubled the grease use on my older red grease machine ,,, you should ask your HFO when you order the grease about resetting the cycle time on the control ,,,
good to know, thanks.

sounds like you're saying they found the original factory setting inadequate and increased the supply rate?

Definitely ck to see if its getting everywhere.
See attached pdf tech bulletin. I increased the amount on both of mine. Cheap insurance
(Ok the pdf is small but the forum says its too big to attache 325kb ish?):angry:
Tips for attaching from anybody
Gary

If you’ve been on the same can of grease for 6 years I would pull them back to check to see if anything is getting greased.

I just got my vf2ss but the whole lube issues that haas has at times makes me nervous. With grease attracting chips and debris I was curious what people experience was if they had set the control to run 2x as fast.

well
1) I'm glad I posted, replacing ball screws would be an expensive nightmare
2) if this is a known issue, why didn't HAAS send out a bulletin to customers? I get all their advertising and tip of the day (which are good), but they couldn't tell me their Red Grease machines have clogging issues?

Definitely ck to see if its getting everywhere.
See attached pdf tech bulletin. I increased the amount on both of mine. Cheap insurance
(Ok the pdf is small but the forum says its too big to attache 325kb ish?):angry:
Tips for attaching from anybody
Gary
can you post a link? This web page tells you to run a axis lubrication test , is this what you were referring to?

If the machine has a Classic Haas Control:

Press [PARAMETER DIAGNOSTIC] (2) times to show the diagnostics page.
Press [CANCEL].
Go to the LUBE tab.

Press [WRITE/ENTER].

Press [F2] to start the Axis-Lubrication Test.

I might just schedule a service call

well i just talked to sales, i asked if there are known clogging issues with the original first gen red Mobil grease, he said no.

I think I'll start by pulling covers back and checking visually

well i just talked to sales, i asked if there are known clogging issues with the original first gen red Mobil grease, he said no.

I think I'll start by pulling covers back and checking visually

That's false...this is why they went to the purple grease (50/50 oil/grease). Call HFO in PA they will tell you.

Edit...talk to service not sales.

Cant post a link but might try to do the snipping tool and post png
Its a 3-4 page tech bulletin. Its not that big
I will have to look but I increased mine by double. I just had the z covers off and their is "plenty" of red grease flipped everywhere. But not over the top. I might have a phone pic
Gary

Cant post a link but might try to do the snipping tool and post png
Its a 3-4 page tech bulletin. Its not that big
I will have to look but I increased mine by double. I just had the z covers off and their is "plenty" of red grease flipped everywhere. But not over the top. I might have a phone pic
Gary

Sent you a PM

So confusing, according to HAAS in these 2 bulletins
Axis Lubrication System - Haas Liquid Grease
Axis Lubrication
The grease reservoir [1] lubricates the axes at a rate of (1) grease cycle for every 24 hours of axis travel.

then here,
Haas Liquid Grease - Troubleshooting Guide
it says
The lubrication cycle will be initiated when:

1) The axes have been in motion for the time specified in Setting 277 (6 hours by default).
2) The machine has been idle for 24 hours (specified in Parameter 1401).
3) If the user presses [F2] while in the LUBE MAINTENANCE section of the DIAGNOSTIC display.

there's a pretty big difference between once every 24 hours versus 6 hours. I called service and see what they say

That's false...this is why they went to the purple grease (50/50 oil/grease). Call HFO in PA they will tell you.

Edit...talk to service not sales.

Not a single person out of our HFO in PA will ever say there are any known problems. I'm sure they are trained to play dumb or maybe are dumb. Is there a difference? We have 10 or so Haas machines of different flavors but all NGC.

There is something involving the grease system that needs to be addressed right away if you still have the older plastic canister. That plastic canister tends to explode spontaneously. Again, Haas won't admit this is a known issue but it happened on one of our machines and as soon as it did my brother took a picture and put it on facebook. All of a sudden people were coming out of everywhere with pictures of grease bomb carnage in their air cabinets. Extremely common issue? Maybe not. Common enough for HFO to know? For Sure!! Luckily nobody was hurt but plastic shrapnel and grease goes flying everywhere when it happens so it's a major liability. I told the HFO to send us a replacement grease system for all of our remaining machines with the old plastic style and they sent a tech out to do it without asking any questions. Most of our machines are used and well out of warranty. Unfortunately our VF4ss that exploded is cursed with a drip pan under the air cabinet for the rest of it's life to catch the slowly oozing purple goo.

The grease lines getting clogged is a common problem on all of our NGC machines regardless of grease. Either the HFO is lying or they have so many other issues they can't keep track of all the "common" ones.

You must be referring to this minor issue:

F9A5E9BA-A4CF-4E69-9226-A59D4C829958.jpg

022C253A-873B-4156-8090-82C5508CC5B1.jpg

I did manage to clean it out pretty well so it’s not a perpetual leak on the floor. It only took most of a day and a couple rolls of paper towels.

And don’t forget the little trick with those canisters where you don’t actually run them all the way tight, but about a 1/4 turn short of tight otherwise they won’t seal properly and end up leaking all over the place.

Back