What's new
What's new

Haas lathe offsets disappeared..

Schjell

Aluminum
I was setting the G54 z-zero point according to procedure - selected T1 tool, jogged in to the part and pushed the "z face measure" button.
However, I must have pushed the wrong button at some point here, because this time all my work offsets in the table zeroed out.
The tool offset table looks the same.

Annoys the hell out of me - just can't get it right again. The manual doesn't give much help.

When I run the program the G54 Z point is obviously ok since it starts facing where I told it to, but when the program switches to an end mill then it starts running its cycle relative to the position where the probe "zero" is. Hard to explain this, but basically the turning tools know where they are supposed to be, but the live tools do not.

Unfortunately there's no undo button on these machines:-)

Am I missing something really basic here?

You can backup your offsets onto a usb. I have been setting up a tool before and if the wrong tool is highlighted it will apply it to the wrong tool. Also if you are setting your g54 and are not in workoffsets you could accidentally set your t1 as a zero tool offset. I would take a picture of your tool offsets and retouch off. Run the program in graphics and see if it looks correct also.

You can backup your offsets onto a usb. I have been setting up a tool before and if the wrong tool is highlighted it will apply it to the wrong tool. Also if you are setting your g54 and are not in workoffsets you could accidentally set your t1 as a zero tool offset. I would take a picture of your tool offsets and retouch off. Run the program in graphics and see if it looks correct also.

I just ran the probe past all my tools and looks like my T1 tool was off by a mile in relation to the others. No idea how I managed to do this, but when I now set the G54 zero after re-probing it everything is fine. Very strange, since the other turning tool offsets in the turret were fine before and fine afterwards.
Can't complain when I'm back on track, but would be nice to learn where I went wrong. Guessing that your comment may be what I did wrong.
Thanks anyways!

Cheers,
John

Is it an NGC control? If so you can restore them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Think it is. Brand new this year. Will Google it and see how that works, nothing about it in the manual. Thanks for tip!

If you look in the alarms page there will be a notation saying g54 - blah blah blah that number will be a millimeters so if you convert it back to inches and input the number in you can restore your lost offsets That's the only way to do it

What I did is you can export all of your alarms and then copy and paste them into a spreadsheet and do calculations that way

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I just ran the probe past all my tools and looks like my T1 tool was off by a mile in relation to the others. No idea how I managed to do this, but when I now set the G54 zero after re-probing it everything is fine. Very strange, since the other turning tool offsets in the turret were fine before and fine afterwards.
Can't complain when I'm back on track, but would be nice to learn where I went wrong. Guessing that your comment may be what I did wrong.
Thanks anyways!

Cheers,
John

If it is a brand new machine (NGC control) it is possible you never made a mistake. HAAS has a lot of software problems, in my CM-1 the machine has missed probing several times. It is just like parts of the macros the probing is built on are never executed.
You might want to get your software updated, some versions are not stable.

/Staffan

$100 says what you did was when you were touching off the part you were still in tool offset mode and not down in work offsets. I’ve done it before, it is easy to do.

Also, I would be very cautious with software updates on ngcs. I had a little issue I wanted to fix on my machine, got a software update and had 2 issues. 5 updates later my machine is running like it should. Alot of screen freezes, black screen when powering on, netshare not working blah blah. But make sure if you have any issues to make them know to haas before the warranty expires. It took a year after my warrant expired to get my working properly. My 2015 machines have had zero software problems. Wish they never went to ngc.

Also, I would be very cautious with software updates on ngcs. I had a little issue I wanted to fix on my machine, got a software update and had 2 issues. 5 updates later my machine is running like it should. Alot of screen freezes, black screen when powering on, netshare not working blah blah. But make sure if you have any issues to make them know to haas before the warranty expires. It took a year after my warrant expired to get my working properly. My 2015 machines have had zero software problems. Wish they never went to ngc.

I am having connection issues for sure. Wireless kicks me out, connected by ethernet instead. However haasconnect cannot find network. Something fishy, but for now it works to use the USB. Not getting any updates though.

Recently had work offsets disappear overnight from a Fanuc control, shop gremlins most likely...either way it's not fun when it happens. Same control also won't go into MDI mode sometimes out of the blue and has to be restarted.

Back