What's new
What's new

HAAS Mini Mill , can't insert tool, no suction

abojiuc

Plastic
Hi everyone,
We recently got a HAAS Mini Mill and we are trying to use it for the first time.
When we press the tool release button its supposed to suck in the tool but it doesn't seem to work.
The machine appears to make a small suction sound and that's about it.
The PSI is about 100 on the meter in the back and when we press the button there isn't much change in PSI.

How could we fix this?

Thanks in advance

The air flow you are supposed to hear isn't suction. The air is supposed to clear the tapers of chips and dirt. The tool release button pushes the drawbar down, releasing any retention stud that were held by the balls in the drawbar. WIth the button pushed, you can insert a new (or the same) retention stud, connected to whatever toolholder you're inserting.

How long do I need to hold down the button? Also, do I position the tool in place before pressing the button or after?

Does the toolholder have a retention knob installed?

Feel free to be offended, or not, but if you're having problems loading a toolholder, you really shouldn't be operating a cnc machine.

Your pull stud should look like this.

JM12622-1.jpg

RK12622.jpg

CAT40 Pull Stud PS-12622 MariTool

Attachments

• JM12622-1.jpg
    JM12622-1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 31
You should probably call Haas with the machine serial number and verify that the machine is equipped with the option to use tools.

I forgot that was an option now...

Abojuic, contact your Haas sales person and arrange a 1-day (or more) training at their facility. It shouldn't cost too much, and the benefit you'll get from a proper introduction to safe use of CNC machines will be invaluable.

Abojuic, contact your Haas sales person and arrange a 1-day (or more) training at their facility. It shouldn't cost too much, and the benefit you'll get from a proper introduction to safe use of CNC machines will be invaluable.

It's free for all Haas owners. No limit on number of days AFAIK.

That's one good thing about Haas, anyone got another? :D

We got a letter a while back from Selway ( major California HFO) that they were not going to offer classes to, and would almost double service call prices to those that didn't buy their machines from Selway. When Bill Selway was the "guy" you talked to they were a great place but the last 8-10 years, not so much. The folks at the factory have always been very helpful to us, just give them a ring.

Hey guys,
So I tried everything you mentioned, but the tool just doesn't seem to go in all the way. The insert is exactly as you have posted here.
Basically I held down the tool release button and tried to put the tool in, but its like it doesn't want to go all the way in for some reason (the spindle is aligned).

What year is the machine?

The tool release piston can get bound up over time. It can also fail after riding in a truck.

Make sure that you are trying both the tool release button on the column and on the control panel. You can disable one or the other in the settings... I'm far too lazy to walk the 15 feet to check which one.

When you push the button on the classic control machines it should say "uogh heew whisssssh" When it's saying "whissssh" shove the tool up in the spindle with the tabs aligned. If it is just going "uogh hew" and no "whisssh" then your piston is bound up. This has happened to me before (and more frequently seen when I leave a warm tool in the spindle overnight). I usually push the button in rapid succession a couple dozen times while spraying WD40 up into the spindle. Then I take the airhose and shoot it up in there to make sure that the WD40 is getting past the gripper and into the Belleville assembly. This probably won't do anything, but it will occupy your time while your waiting for the Haas Service Van to arrive.

What year is the machine?

The tool release piston can get bound up over time. It can also fail after riding in a truck.

Make sure that you are trying both the tool release button on the column and on the control panel. You can disable one or the other in the settings... I'm far too lazy to walk the 15 feet to check which one.

When you push the button on the classic control machines it should say "uogh heew whisssssh" When it's saying "whissssh" shove the tool up in the spindle with the tabs aligned. If it is just going "uogh hew" and no "whisssh" then your piston is bound up. This has happened to me before (and more frequently seen when I leave a warm tool in the spindle overnight). I usually push the button in rapid succession a couple dozen times while spraying WD40 up into the spindle. Then I take the airhose and shoot it up in there to make sure that the WD40 is getting past the gripper and into the Belleville assembly. This probably won't do anything, but it will occupy your time while your waiting for the Haas Service Van to arrive.

The machine only makes a quick whish sound when I press the tool release button and that's about it. I gotta check the year but the machine is really old, possibly 20 years or more.

Back