What's new
What's new

Haas New Spindle Break In

DeSelle

Cast Iron
Hi all,

We just had Haas replace the spindle in on of our VF3 mills. In the past I had heard/seen a lengthy break in process for spindles that included taking temp readings, etc. This time, they just put it in ran it for a couple hours and off they went. I want to be sure there is not something more I should do or at least that they did the procedure correct. Any previous experiences that might be helpful?

Thanks

Nathan

If this is an older machine, my biggest concern would be did they check that the spindle oil misting flow was correct - there should be a procedure for checking how much oil is being fed into the purge air. You can check these pages from Haas to look for the relevant version:

Spindle Lubrication System - Minimum Lubrication - Oil Pump | Haas Automation(R) Resource Center

Spindle Lubrication System - Bijur - Mechanical - Oil Pump | Haas Automation(R) Resource Center

And the mechanical schematic for one system:

http://diy.haascnc.com/sites/defaul...mp-air-oilandairsystem-schematic.pdf?0=%3F243

If they did that the next step is a run-in, which it sounds like they did. After that, just check the spindle nose for excessive temperature, basically you should be able to keep the palm of your hand on the spindle housing after it's been running at high speed for some time without feeling like you've got to "pull away" immediately. Do this with the spindle off, of course. It shouldn't be over ~120F in my opinion, but that's just a WAG. This spindle service company recommends not over 125F: http://www.spsspindle.com/sps-spindle-services/spindle-rebuilding/spindle-run-in-procedure/

Here's an older PM thread on the subject: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/haas/2012-haas-vf3-spindle-lubrication-question-291213/

Hi all,

We just had Haas replace the spindle in on of our VF3 mills. In the past I had heard/seen a lengthy break in process for spindles that included taking temp readings, etc. This time, they just put it in ran it for a couple hours and off they went. I want to be sure there is not something more I should do or at least that they did the procedure correct. Any previous experiences that might be helpful?

Thanks

Nathan

What's the max rpm for that machine?
Our 15k rpm Okuma had a pretty long break in period when they replaced it. A full day's worth and they took temp readings frequently.
Maybe if yours is 6 or 8k it doesn't need that long of a break in?

IMO, the break in doesn't actually break anything in. It gives you a chance to evaluate whether the new bearings were preloaded properly and everything assembled without damage. You kind of have to live with the results....or not, but most people are not likely going to take the thing apart unless it is really hot in a very short time.

Nothing about the bearings 'wears in' in a few minutes of running. Since the Haas is not a greased spindle, there is no grease to be expelled. Excess oil from assembly should quickly be blown out, too.

The break in is for seating the bearings. The tech that did our subspindle bearings in our Okuma Captain lathe would run it at a low rpm and watch for the temp to rise. After a few minutes the temp would drop and the load would go down. He would then bump the rpm up and repeat the process. Each time waiting to see a temp rise followed by the temp and load dropping. He did this in small increments until he reached the max rpm of the spindle.

The drawtube was out so it was easy for him to get a reading on an IR temp gun near the ID of the bearings.

This lathe has a grease spindle, so it's important for the spindle not to reach the temp that the grease will liquify and flow out of the bearings. He was using kluber grease and the max temp was provided by kluber. They also spec a certain volume of grease for each bearing. There is no expelling of extra grease during break in.

They were very thorough, even charted the rpm, times, and temps.

I thought I had it on the hard drive but all I have is this one.
I think the one that was run on the last one I got took 2 + hours.
Also what did they charge to swap that out..if you know?
Gary
%
O02020 (Spindle Warm-up)
(This program should be run prior to)
(machine use if machine has been idle)
(for more than 4 days.)
(Cycle time: 20-minutes.)
(This program can be used for all)
(spindle types and may be used daily)
(for spindle warm-up prior to high)
(speed spindle use. Adjust spindle)
(speed override depending on maximum)
(spindle speed of machine: Set)
(override at 50% for 5,000 rpm)
(machines, set at 100% for 7,500)
(& 10,000 rpm machines, and set at)
(150% for 15,000 rpm machines.)
(9-21-99)
S500 M03
G04 P200.
S1000 M03
G04 P200.
S2500 M03
G04 P200.
S5000 M03
G04 P200.
S7500 M03
G04 P200.
S10000 M03
G04 P200.
M30
%

Maybe new machines Haas "breaks in" at factory...but last few machines I had jobs running soon as tech said machine was good to go after initial commission. Just did standard warm up...

Back