What's new
What's new

Haas OTS calibration 592 variable issue

Rennfab

Plastic
Hi folks.

My apologies if this seems like a meager question here but I am having a small issue with calibrating the OTS on a VF3SSYT with a classic controller here that I just cannot figure out. We moved the probe and optical sensor from the upper right to the upper left of the table/cab and started calibration procedures.

Manuals state to change the macro variable under the Current Commands tab to -2.0, which we do. Enter the required data into WIPS tab and run the cycle. Cycles the three z axis measurements but then moves off to the left of the stylus instead of the right, forcing a 316 x over travel error. We back out to the CC menu and the machine reset the variable back to the previous "1" number setting.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am not a complete new guy to these machines, and have used the WIPS many times before, just have never had to move the OTS position on the table before(doing so because of future 4th axis rotary, old position was obscured)

Anyway I reached out to our local Hass service with a detailed email and got an email reply back stating to "start cycle over probe center" and/or move OTS further into work envelope. Well no %^"£$%, and that kind of defeats the purpose of variable 592... lol

Great site here, hope to learn a thing or two about my stupidity on this issue hah! Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm a moron and just ding something very wrong, I can take it.

Thanks guys

-Adam

Hi folks.

My apologies if this seems like a meager question here but I am having a small issue with calibrating the OTS on a VF3SSYT with a classic controller here that I just cannot figure out. We moved the probe and optical sensor from the upper right to the upper left of the table/cab and started calibration procedures.

Manuals state to change the macro variable under the Current Commands tab to -2.0, which we do. Enter the required data into WIPS tab and run the cycle. Cycles the three z axis measurements but then moves off to the left of the stylus instead of the right, forcing a 316 x over travel error. We back out to the CC menu and the machine reset the variable back to the previous "1" number setting.

Am I doing something wrong here? I am not a complete new guy to these machines, and have used the WIPS many times before, just have never had to move the OTS position on the table before(doing so because of future 4th axis rotary, old position was obscured)

Anyway I reached out to our local Hass service with a detailed email and got an email reply back stating to "start cycle over probe center" and/or move OTS further into work envelope. Well no %^"£$%, and that kind of defeats the purpose of variable 592... lol

Great site here, hope to learn a thing or two about my stupidity on this issue hah! Don't hesitate to tell me if I'm a moron and just ding something very wrong, I can take it.

Thanks guys

-Adam

Adam I did the same thing month or 2 ago. I just changed the x and Y varible numbers. cause I didnt want to go through the whole process again.
remember you need room on your x and y so you dont over travel when checking big dia tools. I went to the limits and did 1x" and 1y" put the center of the ots probe right there.
My z was right on the money. I faced the OTS with the wireless window on the right side that way I didnt have to move the optical sensor mounted on the wall of machine. going to do that later.
I'll see if I can find the varble numbers as ther ein the haas forum and.

I was able to do it by going through the VQC template menus. At one point in the calibration menu it will ask if your wps is on the left or right side of the table. Tell it it’s on the right, if it still doesn’t work right, tell it it’s on the left.

Here is a link to the haas site. It should walk you right through it.

Probing with VQC Templates - Mill - CHC

I was able to do it by going through the VQC template menus. At one point in the calibration menu it will ask if your wps is on the left or right side of the table. Tell it it’s on the right, if it still doesn’t work right, tell it it’s on the left.

Here is a link to the haas site. It should walk you right through it.

Probing with VQC Templates - Mill - CHC

I saw this tonight after posting this question here, but for whatever reason I think when I tab over to the VQC the machine tells me "no templates" or something along those lines, which seemed odd to me. The machine was purchased second hand, delivered and then serviced by Haas. Had WIPS installed and operating previously, but I wasn't going through VQC menus either so I will have to double check on this tomorrow. I'm hoping I'm not dealing with some previous owner having deleted crap they were not supposed to when clearing the machine files out. uggg

Adam I did the same thing month or 2 ago. I just changed the x and Y varible numbers. cause I didnt want to go through the whole process again.
remember you need room on your x and y so you dont over travel when checking big dia tools. I went to the limits and did 1x" and 1y" put the center of the ots probe right there.
My z was right on the money. I faced the OTS with the wireless window on the right side that way I didnt have to move the optical sensor mounted on the wall of machine. going to do that later.
I'll see if I can find the varble numbers as ther ein the haas forum and.

See I read that post there of yours in the link when I was searching here for answers, but thought it didn't apply to my setup here as I have the OTS window facing the left and moved the optical sensor over to the left side(under the ATC), so theoretically the machine should be moving to the right of the stylus and thus have ample room and be well inside the x axis travel. But it's got a bug up it's butt and won't accept the position change in the menu it seems. We need to do it this way maximize the table room with a 4th axis rotary for v8 engine block work, so flipping the OTS 180 degree and moving inboard on the table would encroach too far into our working envelope unfortunately :(

Thanks for the info guys. I will be at this tomorrow(today) and will likely be stopping back in here with what I do or don't find

Hi folks.

Thanks guys

-Adam
2 ways to solve this problem:
1. Use lesser diameter pin for calibration process.
2. Move the OTS a bit right on the table.
During the calibration process the system first of all performs Z calibration procedure (3 touches in Z), and then finds the center of the TS stylus and its effective size, moving in X and Y. The amount of the movement in horizontal axes is determined by TS size (given 0.5 in this case) and the calibration pin diameter.

2 ways to solve this problem:
1. Use lesser diameter pin for calibration process.
2. Move the OTS a bit right on the table.
During the calibration process the system first of all performs Z calibration procedure (3 touches in Z), and then finds the center of the TS stylus and its effective size, moving in X and Y. The amount of the movement in horizontal axes is determined by TS size (given 0.5 in this case) and the calibration pin diameter.

So I wanted to stop back in and say thank you to you all for the tips and hep, and that it has been solved.

We will chock this up to user error and me being a bumbling moron. Probe's reply above made my brain switch on and realize that I was thinking that the OTS calibration cycle, and the actual tool offset measurement cycle, were the SAME. which we(well I now) know is not the case. Probe's suggestion of using a smaller Diam gauge pin is what tipped me off.

My solution was, as suggested, to move the OTS inboard along the X another .050", which allowed the calibration bar to fit within the travel and proceed as it should have. The 592 variable applied to the TLM macro and not the calibration macro.

So you guys were all correct in response, and all helped remedy the issue. Thanks again for everything. Just shows that sometimes you need a good kick in the butt to realize the problems.

-Adam

My solution was, as suggested, to move the OTS inboard along the X another .050", which allowed the calibration bar to fit within the travel and proceed as it should have. The 592 variable applied to the TLM macro and not the calibration macro.

-Adam
Variable 592 determines the axis in which diameter measurement is executed (1- in X, 2- in Y) during normal operation. During the calibration the measurement is performed in both axes, the second as determined in VAR 592.

Back