What's new
What's new

Haas probing at B 90

D Nelson

Stainless
Using a haas umc1000 Is it possible to probe a critical bore along the x axis in a part at B 90 and then translate that value to B0 Y0 Z0 to then be used with DWO.
Programming with mastercam.
Thanx for your time guys
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You might want to ask your HFO.

IIRC - there was some silly limitation in the Next Gen control (and older ones) where you couldn't probe at say B90 and translate that to a B0 offset the way you can with most other 5 axis machines. Not that I know anything about this, but my pals with UMCs were all bitching about it, and I know Haas was looking into a fix that might have come in a software update.

You might want to ask your HFO.

IIRC - there was some silly limitation in the Next Gen control (and older ones) where you couldn't probe at say B90 and translate that to a B0 offset the way you can with most other 5 axis machines. Not that I know anything about this, but my pals with UMCs were all bitching about it, and I know Haas was looking into a fix that might have come in a software update.

I talked with the applications engineer he didn’t have a clue what was going on. There has to be a formula to figure the probe location and let the control take care of the rotation
Don

Yep, certainly possible but not 'out of the box'. You'll need some macros to do this automatically.

Need to do this on a lot of parts? Or just a onesie-twosie? Easy enough to do by hand if not too many parts to do. For example you can rotate and position the probe a known distance from the expected position, zero your operator coordinates, then setup a new workoffset to see the difference. Then manually apply that to your regular program's wcs.

IMG_0185.JPG
This looks like the formula I need to use I need to assign these to variables and write a macro program to use them.

3c0a807adaac0ec4ae9c26c417a66065.jpg

Yep, certainly possible but not 'out of the box'. You'll need some macros to do this automatically.

Need to do this on a lot of parts? Or just a onesie-twosie? Easy enough to do by hand if not too many parts to do. For example you can rotate and position the probe a known distance from the expected position, zero your operator coordinates, then setup a new workoffset to see the difference. Then manually apply that to your regular program's wcs.

We need it when a bore is called out in the x axis and it needs to be accurate to another plane
Don

Yeah you're pretty much there. Just rotating a point around another point

Something like this

#1 (x)
#3 (z)
#4 (b)

(new xz)
#11= COS[-[#4]] * [ #1 - #20255 ] - SIN[-[#4]] * [ #3 - #20257 ] + #20255
#13= SIN[-[#4]] * [ #1 - #20255 ] + COS[-[#4]] * [ #3 - #20257 ] + #20257

Might not be 100% but kinda what you need to do in your case. (Might need to +/- the angle) Haven't tested any of that, just tried copy/pasting some from my program which is overly complicated. I setup mine to allow an initial B-offset other than 0, and work with some other stuff, so it's messy to say the least. Not a quick decipher

Next I want to turn B 90 and probe a boss at 2 different z depths to automatically align the B andC axis
That’s the next on the list
Don

Next I want to turn B 90 and probe a boss at 2 different z depths to automatically align the B andC axis
That’s the next on the list
Don

Interesting app.

FYI doing that you'll have to change your post a little bit (or edit after the fact) and you're kind of limited on what you can do, since this would be basically using a B-value in your workoffset. On the Haas you can only really do positioning work if you need to align B.

Pick a variable to remember the B-offset and have your post spit out something like XYZ B[b+#100]

And things get weird. At B90 C180, you'll have to subtract that #100 value..

I was kind of wanting to run it first then the substitution macro then run a regular program. Maybe I can’t do all that but that’s what I’m wanting
Don

Back