What's new
What's new

Haas rapid override???

KristianSilva

Aluminum
Hi,

I have programmed a higbee thread on the lath and fo this to work my rapid needs to be at 100%, is there anyway I can override the rapid in my program so that an operator does not try to prove the job out at 5% rapid and ends up scrapping the shaft due to a whole thread being removed???

Looking at something similar to #3004 feed hold overide maybe? the machine does have macro option

Thanks in advance!

Hi, one method would be to use G32, but then you would have to program each block individually using G32 with an X value plus a high feed rate to lift it out.

Do not know about Haas, but on Fanuc 3004#3 disables feed hold and feed override. Not sure about rapid override. The manual does not talk about it. May have to experiment.

If you have operators worth keeping you should only need to add comments all through the program that for that cycle it MUST be 100% rapid or the shaft will be scrap and you will kick their ass.

Looking at something similar to #3004 feed hold overide maybe?
Not sure where the confusion is...
Untitled.jpg

If you have operators worth keeping you should only need to add comments all through the program that for that cycle it MUST be 100% rapid or the shaft will be scrap and you will kick their ass.
Idiot proofing is always a good idea, especially when it's this easy (see above chart).

There is another concern that goes hand in hand with the idiot proofing side of things.

If you do find a way to disable rapid overrides and you include that in your programs, you're going to have to take measures to make sure it always gets re-enabled.

Say for the sake of argument that #3004=3 does disable rapid overrides and you now include that in your program before the blunt start cycle. Now say that for some reason one day your operator hits reset before it gets to #3004=0. That situation creates potential for a much bigger accident than a scrapped part...

We do blunt (higbee) starts the same way, and regularly. Years ago I embarked on the same quest to find a way to disable the rapid override. I can't remember the reason now, be it technical difficulties or safety concerns, but I did not implement any method of doing so. Teach your operators to run the few preceding blocks in single block if they're concerned about proving it out or whatever, then turn the rapids up and turning single block off before the actual cutting.

Unfortunately our operators are retarded and cannot carry out simple tasks. So it is our job to retard proof all jobs, then even still if they manage to mess up somehow I am not in a position to kick anyones ass, and as it come the blame usually comes back at me in production engineering.

Not sure where the confusion is...
View attachment 202650

Idiot proofing is always a good idea, especially when it's this easy (see above chart).

Sure 'nough. Boy did I misread that chart.

Yeah, ned to be 100% rapid

Hi, What is the limit on your threading feed rate? I am sure G32 would meet the requirements you describe without having to alter any parameters. Could you post details of the thread/Higbee you are producing.

Try Setting 21: Rapid Override Lock

I don't have Macros, but willing to bet that Setting 21 is accessible, and likely the 100% rapid is as well.

Hi, What is the limit on your threading feed rate? I am sure G32 would meet the requirements you describe without having to alter any parameters. Could you post details of the thread/Higbee you are producing.

Max feed rate is 11m/min, max rapid is 24m/min, I tried to run the program on 50% rapid (12m/min) but the tool does not rapid out fast enough and simply removes the first the first thread entirely. it only works at 100% rapid. I have slowed the speed down as much as possible, any slower and I would get a poor surface finish.

Try Setting 21: Rapid Override Lock

I don't have Macros, but willing to bet that Setting 21 is accessible, and likely the 100% rapid is as well.

Haas setting are stored in variables #6001-6277, however they are read only. :(

Max feed rate is 11m/min, max rapid is 24m/min, I tried to run the program on 50% rapid (12m/min) but the tool does not rapid out fast enough and simply removes the first the first thread entirely. it only works at 100% rapid. I have slowed the speed down as much as possible, any slower and I would get a poor surface finish.

Haas setting are stored in variables #6001-6277, however they are read only. :(

Well #6021 won't do you much good here. It will only return a 0 or 1, if the setting is off or on.

Seymour is right about using setting 21 to lock the rapids though.

So what you can do is setup your program with rapids at 100%. Change setting 21 to ON, and lock settings with the key on the side of the control. That way an operator can't change the settings.

Well #6021 won't do you much good here. It will only return a 0 or 1, if the setting is off or on.

Seymour is right about using setting 21 to lock the rapids though.

So what you can do is setup your program with rapids at 100%. Change setting 21 to ON, and lock settings with the key on the side of the control. That way an operator can't change the settings.

If you can interrogate the position of the rapid override switch, you can set up an M0 stop if the switch is anywhere but 100%.

What I mean is, you ask the control where the rapid override switch is right before you get into the thread. If it's at say 25%, you kick an operator message saying "You need to be at 100% rapid for the threading sequence!". The test is repeated after the M0 and the program won't proceed until they go to 100%.

If the rapid switch is in the 100% position, your program skips the M0 and the operator message. This can be done with just a couple lines of code polling one variable and a couple of GOTO statements.

if you can interrogate the position of the rapid override switch, you can set up an m0 stop if the switch is anywhere but 100%.

What i mean is, you ask the control where the rapid override switch is right before you get into the thread. If it's at say 25%, you kick an operator message saying "you need to be at 100% rapid for the threading sequence!". The test is repeated after the m0 and the program won't proceed until they go to 100%.

If the rapid switch is in the 100% position, your program skips the m0 and the operator message. This can be done with just a couple lines of code polling one variable and a couple of goto statements.

perfect! Thank you

Back