What's new
What's new

HAAS Rs232 drip feeding solutions in 2019

D Dubeau

Hot Rolled
We've got a couple older Haas mills, that we drip feed programs to. We've managed to keep a small fleet of older computers with physical Rs232 ports going over the years, and all has been good. I'm down to the last 3 computers, with no spares, and one of them is getting flaky and dropping code. I just cleaned it all out and swapped motherboard fans hoping that it was just because the computer was running a bit hot, but I really don't know what the issue is. It just dropped out again (same program, different spot) while typing this, even though it's running noticeably cooler now.

In case you haven't figured out yet I'm not very tech savvy, and kind of just get by with the knowledge of this forum and others in matters related to computer issues. I could continue to repair and source older hardware as we've been doing for years, but is there any other solutions that exist that I don't know about? Some quick googling has determined that a raspberry pi is not suitable for reasons I don't really understand, but some smarter people than I have determined to be true (no true rs232, board voltage issues?), so I just take it at face value. We've tried a USB to serial converter a couple years ago, but it wasn't reliable on longer running programs.

The programs we're running are anywhere from 10 minutes long to 10+ hours long. Loading into the control is not really an option, as it just takes too long for one off programs. Things used to be great with barely any hiccups, but the last couple years it seems the house of cards is falling down more, and more often.

Surely we can't be the only ones running into to this issue? I don't know, what I don't know, am I missing something obvious? Is there a USB upgrade option for the Haas controls that will allow drip feeding like our newer VF5? What I've read is that the USB upgrades just allow file transfer FROM a usb into the control, not actually running programs FROM the USB, or I could have that wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm running out of hair to scratch off my head......

Dan

You can put an RS-232 card in any desktop:
rs-232 card : Micro Center

Or you can get an RS-232 to USB that actually works (most on the market don't):
RS232 USB to Serial Port adapter for CNC machinery and equipment-USB to RS232

Thanks. Ya, I should have mentioned that we do have one computer in circulation with a serial adaptor card. It's in a newer computer that didn't come with one, and the one we tried the USB to serial adapter on. I'm aware of these as a solution to newer computers that don't come with them. Was more wondering if there were any other options besides a physical computer at each machine that I was over looking.

Something like this USBCNC - Calmotion that I just found after posting the initial question. Seems like it will do what I want, but I can buy and keep 2 older computers going for what it costs.....

Machine is running now after robbing the computer from another machine we aren't running right now, so I have a bit of breathing time to figure something out. I'll probably just get a couple more computers and carry on, same as it ever was. Path of least resistance I guess.

It's been a couple of years since I've done any searching for different ideas on this, and was more wondering if I was missing out on any other cheap and reliable solutions that somebody may have come up with since. All roads seem to lead back to what we're doing now that I've had a bit more time to read and cram this morning....

Thanks, Dan.

I'm running 3 machines from one PC flawlessly from a PCIE X1 serial card and a USB to Serial adapter from amazon (with a legit FTDI chip instead of the flaky ones). total expenditure maybe $30. No problems transferring to/from or drip feeding long 3d surfacing programs over DNC. Using CIMCO Edit on a mediocre windows 10 PC. The computer sits in the back of the shop headless and I use VNC software to remote into it as needed from raspberry pi kiosks at each machine.

I bought a cheap Dell Optiplex on Amazon. $140, and it has onboard serial port. It's been trouble-free for a few years.

Here is a current one that is even less expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiple...dell+optiplex&qid=1550075193&s=gateway&sr=8-7

PM

Thanks for the link. We've got a computer guy in town that we get to do all the rebuilding of older ones etc. He's coming over this afternoon to pick up the broken ones, and fix what he can. But I'm going to look into getting new units like what you've posted and try to bring us into the present a bit more...... The one running the machine right now is running windows 2000 lol. I also checked the cables and might make a new one for that machine. and maybe a spare or two. It's all dirty and grimy, and looks like it's been run over with the lift truck a couple times.... Might be a source of the problem there too.

We're starting to get busy, and I don't really want to have to deal with programs dropping out over night anymore. Losing 8-12 hours of run time a few times a week more than pays for a couple new computers. But it's a tough sell to the guy holding the wallet.....(not me).

I'm running 3 machines from one PC flawlessly from a PCIE X1 serial card and a USB to Serial adapter from amazon (with a legit FTDI chip instead of the flaky ones). total expenditure maybe $30. No problems transferring to/from or drip feeding long 3d surfacing programs over DNC. Using CIMCO Edit on a mediocre windows 10 PC. The computer sits in the back of the shop headless and I use VNC software to remote into it as needed from raspberry pi kiosks at each machine.

THAT is what I was fishing for. I have NO idea how I'd set it all up, but it's certainly different that what we're doing.

So you've got the ONE computer that is connected to 3 machines via serial cables (using the PCI card for 2, and a usb serial adapter for the other?) and raspberry pi "terminals" (is that the right word?) at each machine That connect via network to the main computer and tell it what files to send and where? Forgive my ignorance on all the computer jargon, I'm not really that well informed how things all work together..... Is it reliable? Do you drip feed long running programs to all 3 machines simultaneously? I didn't think one computer could do that.

Thanks

Nailed it, yeah. Haven't had any issues. One fanuc machine, one haas machine, one Milltronics. I don't usually have all three running simultaneously, but it'll do it. If the computer ever died I could replace it with virtually anything off the shelf from <nearby big box store> and be back up and running in no time.

There's no reason you couldn't add more serial cards as long as you had the ports for it. I just happened to buy a 2-port card and then got a third machine, so I used the USB>Serial I already had as a backup.

The raspberry pi kiosks can log in to the ERP/job tracking software I use, so I can reference prints, enter dimensions for in process QC, check what my tool loadout needs to be for the next setup, etc. I can also make small CAM changes by remoting into my desk battlestation, and send gcode by remoting into the DNC computer. They're a little sluggish for anything too heavy duty, but perfect for stuff like that. I think I have $150 into each one, built from cobbled together monitor wall mounts, keyboard trays, cheapo 20" LCDs, and a pi/keyboard/mouse. All on amazon, super easy.

CIMCO is a little pricey but it just works. It came bundled with Inventor HSM a few years ago and I liked it, so even though they dropped that I paid the man to stick with something that works. Actually a really nice little editor, for the few times I need to hand tweak code. Sends reliably too. I'm sure you could use any DNC software of your choosing to the same effect though.

I'll pull amazon links and pictures later on tonight. Working on a rush job right now, time to go build another setup.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. I had no idea that you could have one computer drip feed to more than one machine at a time via serial port. Shows how little I know about computer stuff. I also had no idea you could connect to other computers remotely that easily (while I knew it was possible, I never really thought about implementing it that way, nor would I know HOW to do it). It would be very handy to work my desktop remotely to change a few tool paths in cam and re post a program from the floor instead of walking back to my desk. No matter how much I need the exercise :).

You've given me some options to think about. Can't say I'll go down that road, as ultimately it's not my call, but it sounds like a great option. Thanks again.

We have a ShopLinkFLASH that I installed in our Haas, and we love it. So much so that I will be buying two more for other machines. It is normally a box that sticks to the machine, but I took the time to panel mount it.

15625008_1714996885495327_1321475773856481280_n.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions. That one looks interesting Zahnrad, and nice job integrating it.

We've bought another old computer, and got the 2 broken ones fixed (power supplies for both)....same as it ever was....:)

I use Moxa De-311 ethernet rs232 device server. Can usually find them on ebay for like $30-40. takes a little bit to get used to their software to set them up but work great.

Back