What's new
What's new

Haas SL-20 static tool alignment

Tatertots

Plastic
Hi - I bought a 2000 Haas SL-20. I have some work to do in the shop before I can place the machine in position so thought I would learn all I could from the manuals and available videos so I am ready to go when I can finally unpack the machine. I have a Fadal VMC, so understand the basics but have no experience with a cnc lathe. With the VDI turret and a static tool holder, when using a carbide insert holder like one for a CNMG how do you adjust the tool tip height in relation to the part centerline? On my manual lathe I loosen the tool post and adjust the tool holder up and down on the tool post with the knurled nut. What is the comparable adjustment on this lathe? I have looked through all my factory manuals without finding an answer. I have plenty on info on the live tooling setup, but none on the static. Inspection of the tool holder itself did not indicate any adjustment. Shims? Wedges? Is there a stop point on the turret rotation that you set each time you change a static holder? What obvious thing am I missing? Thanks for the help - its nice to have a resource to access folks with experience.

Are you talking about O.D tools or I.D. tools? either way there should be a pin on the front of the turret to align it.

Are you talking about O.D tools or I.D. tools? either way there should be a pin on the front of the turret to align it.

Yes OD tooling. As you mentioned, there is a pin that locks rotation of the tool holder so that the groove is always perpendicular to tangent of turret. Is it as simple as the 1" shank height tool holder is just designed so that the cutting height of the insert lands in the right place? With the different inserts available in each shape of insert, I am dubious they will all land at the right cutting height. Thanks!

Yes that’s pretty much the idea. It should all work out within a few thou. In theory. But to clarify, you are asking about adjustment in the y axis direction, but you don’t have a y. So on my Hitachi Seiki it is like your Haas where there is no y adjustment. The previous owner had made a bunch of eccentric bushings like going from the 1-1/4” holder to a 3/4 bar. They were drilled maybe .02 off center. You can rotate the bushing and move the tool in y. Then set your x.
On od tooling I just shim it up/down as needed.
I do wish there was a better way. Maybe someone has better ideas.

Yes that’s pretty much the idea. It should all work out within a few thou. In theory. But to clarify, you are asking about adjustment in the y axis direction, but you don’t have a y. So on my Hitachi Seiki it is like your Haas where there is no y adjustment. The previous owner had made a bunch of eccentric bushings like going from the 1-1/4” holder to a 3/4 bar. They were drilled maybe .02 off center. You can rotate the bushing and move the tool in y. Then set your x.
On od tooling I just shim it up/down as needed.
I do wish there was a better way. Maybe someone has better ideas.

your hitachi has KVI tooling?
the Y is where the turret locks into position, if your Y is off then your turret is out of alignment, same for the haas. so you need to realign them.

Same goes for a lathe with out that type of tooling. if you have a 2 axis lathe and your Y is out, its because your turret alignment is out.

My hitachi does not have KVI tooling. And it locks in Y just fine. But depending on how the tool block is bolted on (yes there is an alignment pin), rotation of bar, but still it could be high or low on center by a few thou. If I’m boring a tiny feature I might want to correct or even bias it on purpose. Just saying. Not that it usually matters enough to take steps to correct, but the OP noted the way he centers tools on a traditional lathe and there is really no equivalent on most 2 axis turning centers.

Yes OD tooling. As you mentioned, there is a pin that locks rotation of the tool holder so that the groove is always perpendicular to tangent of turret. Is it as simple as the 1" shank height tool holder is just designed so that the cutting height of the insert lands in the right place? With the different inserts available in each shape of insert, I am dubious they will all land at the right cutting height. Thanks!

I am not sure about the VDI turret types, but on a 'regular' turret (as others mentioned), yes, the 1" height of the toolholder and insert combo put the cutting edge on center, within a few thou. I did run one ST20 where for some reason I had to shim the tool holder almost .020" Couldn't figure it out - as with an indicator and gage block the cutting edge looked good to center, but whatever is was, the shim worked, so take that for what you will...

Back