What's new
What's new

Haas SL-20T opinions...

Tatertots

Plastic
Hi Folks, I may have the opportunity to purchase a 2002 Haas SL-20T. It has live tooling supported for all ten turret slots and a couple of live tools included as well as a few insert holders. It includes the chip auger, parts catcher, tool setter and 300 bar feeder. Please chime in with features I should be looking for, or looking to avoid. It has 19k hours servo time, 5k in motion time and 5600 hrs spindle time according to the screen. I have no idea if those are normal numbers for a machine this age. I am assuming having the option of using the tailstock is an advantage... but is there a down side I will discover down the road? I have several manual lathes and would not consider them complete without a tailstock, but have never operated a cnc lathe - only cnc mills. This would be a learning step for me. Appreciate any advice you folks have based on your experiences with this or similar machine. Thanks very much.

as far as hrs that's about 2 years of 1 shift usage. I have run and serviced all of their models that vintage. only thing I'd check for is squareness of the machine. that will show you if it were crashed hard, and if so was it resquared correctly or not. I love that vintage control and lathe. 1 of the live tooling lathes ( sl30 ) I ran had over 60000 run hrs and made perfect parts. easy setup ! easy to program !

as far as hrs that's about 2 years of 1 shift usage. I have run and serviced all of their models that vintage. only thing I'd check for is squareness of the machine. that will show you if it were crashed hard, and if so was it resquared correctly or not. I love that vintage control and lathe. 1 of the live tooling lathes ( sl30 ) I ran had over 60000 run hrs and made perfect parts. easy setup ! easy to program !

How hard is it to resquare the machine if that was needed? It is not a local machine that I can evaluate first hand. Thanks

We have a 2000 SL-20 that we still run on jobs, tight tolerances etc., it's a decent machine. The newer machines do get better - faster etc. - but they're not bad at all.

Back