What's new
What's new

HAAS SL20 Help!!!

KyWTA

Plastic
Hey fellas! Im new to posting but have been a shadow on here for many of years (so bare with me). I have seen and used so much knowledge you all have shared. This problem is different though requiring me to come out of the shadows and ask you all for HELP!

Problem:
I have a 2004 Haas SL20 that keeps shutting down. Screen goes black spindle shuts off everything seems to lose power for a split second and then boots back up like it would if i just turned the machine on for the day.

It only does it when the high speed wye delta is involved (+1200ish rpm) if i keep the rpm below 1200 the machine will run all day long. Weird thing is its not consistent sometimes i have to kick the speed up and down a few times before it will wig out. I have replaced the wye delta and triple checked all the wires/connectors though out the machine. I have also swapped out the k1 contactor with a known working one from my mill with no luck. Im at a lose and chasing a ghost. I would greatly appriciate any help in this. And thank you for taking time to read this even if you cant help resolve this.

voltage drop? is the supply to the machine up to the job? personally, I always run a bigger cable than required.

voltage drop? is the supply to the machine up to the job? personally, I always run a bigger cable than required.

Yeah the supply going in seems to be all good. Its been on that line since 2004 with no problems.

"everything seems to lose power for a split second and then boots back up"

Does it actually power itself back on? Or simply allow you to do it?

Yes just drops all power everything shuts down and immediately just boots back up on its own. Imagine the spindle was running and you hit the power down switch. Then hit power on immidiatley. Not all the boards in back lose power though. Alot of the Leds are still on during its wig out. Seems alot like a short somewhere but man where do you start!! Thanks

You didn’t read the stickys about posting and titles did you? You might get dinged by the MODs for your title.

Like I said Im new to posting on the forum and learning. I apologize if I did it wrong. Can you maybe tell me what I did wrong on the title so I can fix it? That would be helpful...

Might want to go back and recheck your ground wire connections. Make sure they are clean and tight.

All is well there. Its not dropping any power contactors when it does it. Just resets and reboots. Its not a programming issue either because I can make it do it by just running the spindle up and down kicking the wye delta back and forth. Itll do it going up or down in speed. Sometimes it does it the first time the wye delta kicks or sometimes it takes 4 or 5 times to get it to do its little reset freak out.

Last edited:
Like I said Im new to posting on the forum and learning. I apologize if I did it wrong. Can you maybe tell me what I did wrong on the title so I can fix it? That would be helpful...

I’m relatively new myself, but I read the stickys such as “READ BEFORE POSTING” and “THREAD RULES” before posting My first time.

Your thread title is very Vague and that’s a no no.

Some people find it offensive when new members join and don’t read the stickys, in a way it could be considered *disrespectful to the site and those who frequent it when all it takes is 10mins of reading to learn the *basic rules and you don’t do it. If you don’t take the rules serious then I would personally wonder if you will take those who respond to you serious.

*key words.

You’ll be alright and we’re all pretty friendly here although some are very opinionated.

Welcome To the site and read the stickys please.

We are not "very opinionated", some of us are simply more "openly right" than the rest and since they invented Covid, just a bit more testy than normal.

I would do a few tests on the main power in with a clamp on amp meter and see what I learned.

2004 Is just before they switched over to the LCD displays with the windowed "vintage" display IIRC. That was 16 years ago! I'm gonna say that the power supply for the computer is probably crapping out at the wrong time. It's pretty rare these days to see a 16yo computer that hasn't had the power supply replaced, and the computer was run daily for 16 years.

Could also be a capacitor issue, since that's around the time that bad capacitors were making their way through the supply chain. So on top of an iffy power supply you might also have some electrolytic capacitors that need replacing on the processor and other boards. A little power blip shouldn't cause the computer to reset unless the caps are also aged.

That said, this is an armchair diagnosis and to be certain you need to scope the power rails on the computer and watch them during the wye-delta switchover. Could also be the snubbers on the contactors are old and need replacing too, and the contactors are causing interference.

My SL20 was doin pretty much the same thing.....................maincon board took a dump after swappin' out batteries. It would run, then randomly shut down, and then boot back up. No rhyme or rhythm to it. Haas has you buy the short ones if that is the culprit. $$$$$$ Need a whole new control if some one can't fix and reload the OP system.

Back