What's new
What's new

Haas ST10 Related Questions (Tool Presetter, Threaded Ultra Thin Wall Parts)

Anthonytn79

Plastic
Hello,
Anyone operating a Haas St10 can answer some of my questions please. I'm still learning CNC and machining in general. I'm about to purchase an ST10Y, so I need to know if the machine is capable of these things. I will be mainly working with Grade 5 titanium and Damascus Steel. Max Dia 1.35" Min 0.5"

Is the St10 capable of boring very very thin wall for those materials? Let's say OD= 1.15" ID= 1.125" no thread or wall as thin as 0.04" threaded?

For metric guys, I'm looking to make 2 sleeves 1mm thin threaded as pictures shown or 0.6mm no threading.

I will be using a collet chuck instead of the 3 jaw chuck that comes with the machine. Also are the "Auto Tool Presetter and "Wireless Probing" options worth that extra 10k?

Threaded Ring4.jpg
Threaded Ring.jpg
Threaded Ring2.jpg
Threaded Ring3.jpg

An ST10 is more than capable of making those parts.

I would say though, it does not seem you would need an ST10Y - seems like a plain (and 20k less) ST10 would do you fine. But perhaps you found a good deal or are thinking ahead. Having a lathe with milling capability is huge compared to just a 2-axis deal.

The auto tool presetter is an absolute necessity, makes set-ups far less intensive and more consistent. Unless you intended to run lights-out or unattended though I wouldn't bother with part probing. To me all it does is take up precious room in the turret... but, I've never used it either.

How well you can make those parts really depends more on your choice of tooling and how you approach each operation, not quite so much the machine.

Thanks for the reply!

There is a PH Horn office next to the local Haas office and those guys are super nice. They are helping me selecting and customizing the tool and inserts for my needs. 0.5mm dove tail groove insert, etc...

I know there is a huge learning curve, but I will have uses for the y axis along with the live tooling later on.

I'm looking for a one on one Fusion 360 local teacher to learn the software, too.

piston-titanium-ring-skirt-835.jpg
piston-titanium-ring-skirt-835.jpg
titanium-infinity-ring.jpg

Back