What's new
What's new

Haas Super Mini Mill - Controlling the Coolant Blast

Hoppy

Cast Iron
My Haas Super Mini Mill has the Programmable Coolant option. The problem is that in many cases the coolant ricochets of the part and carries chips up into the umbrella tool changer. Some of these chips stick to the tapers of the toolholders and prevent a proper fit into the spindle. I end up with erratic cut depths and tools that don't run on center. I end up having to constantly stop the machine to clean the toolholders and the spindle - what a waste of time! Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to decrease the coolant pressure?

Ditch the P-Cool and use a fan shaped coolant nozzle. It'll spray the coolant in a line along the tool, effective for a wide range of tool lengths, and not spray so hard as to splatter chips up at the umbrella.

Add a simple ball valve inline. Adjust it to get the flow you want.

This is thee answer and the simplest to install. I personally have never owned a machine tool that didn't have a ball valve installed in the coolant line somewhere. Be it right at the pump to right before the nozzle.

Programmable coolant nozzles are something I won't live without. Set once per tool and done. Don't let a little errant over-pressure ruin their effectiveness and your tool carousel... and your day. :-)

Back