What's new
What's new

Haas TM-2P Opinion

george484

Plastic
Hello All,

I am quite new to the cnc world, I have some limited experience with cnc wood routers, but zero experience with cnc milling machines. I am in need of the ability to prototype parts quickly, and a VMC will do the trick.

I am on a limited budget, so I am considering a used Haas TM-2P or a new Tormach 1100mx (Their new servo equipped machine).

I will be mainly prototyping aluminum and plastics parts. Occasionally I will be machining steel, stainless and titanium (Very rarely).

Here is some specs on the haas:

-$24000 USD price
-Year: 2011
-Run times:

-Servo Time 7357:21:44
-Motion Time 2329:49:20
-Spindle Time 1803:28:27
-Run Time 17351:51
-Tool Change Count 10851

-Machine is under power and can be inspected.
-Control updated in 2015.
-Machine is not used frequently, only used for special jobs.
-Seller is original owner and it was purchased new from Haas.
-Umbrella style tool changer
-Chip Auger
-6000 rpm spindle

Unfortunately I do not know anyone who is knowledgable on cnc machinery, so I am really hoping for some solid advice from the professionals on this forum as I am struggling to make a decision!

Thanks,
George

I have a TM2P (among other Haas machines). It has been very reliable and fills a good niche. The are not overly fast or overly rigid, but if you have long parts you need to prototype, it’s a solid choice. I have mine set up with a 4th axis, and can still fit 3 vises.

If your parts are less than 16 inches, I would probably go with a Haas mini mill. Faster and more rigid.

Its a good year and it will machine through alum and plastic with ease also can run fast through both. If you need faster you can always add-on High Speed Machining

I don't think I would bother with the high speed option on this machine (opinion). Even with intricate surfacing and high speed toolpaths (which is about all I do), it doesn't move fast enough to stutter. I bought it and probably would spend the money on other features if I was doing it again.

My last job we had a TM3P and it would stutter. I would run it at its full potential because I had contours and surface machining programs that were 12-14 hours long. I would sit up many parts and make it eat all day and night 6 days a week. I avg 50-60 hours a week and had that machine doing at least 100 hours. If I didn't go HSM then it would have been side mount tool changer for clearance and more capacity. Not much more to put on one, but its all in what your needs are in your company for sure.

I will just give my stamp of approval on the TM series for being a work horse for the money.

Sounds like I need to reject the idea of even considering a tormach, which was my gut feeling.

I know it may be hard to say for sure, but is the amount of hours the machine has something to be concerned about?

Also does the asking price seem fair?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

It seems pretty reasonable to me. Fairly low hours. It was about a $50k machine when it was new (depending on the options). It’s a much much more robust machine than a Tormach.

We have a 2008 TM-2 (non-P, so, 4000rpm and no enclosure). It's a good machine and I think it would be good for starting out because it doesn't have a lot of quirks to slow you down when you're just starting out, it's easy to use and program, and there are lots of parts and helps out there. Based on what we paid for ours, $24k sounds about comparable to our deal which seemed good (if it's in good condition, I think it's important to look at it in person before pulling the trigger). The guy who owned it said they did some titanium with it, I've seen videos of people doing it, it looks possible to do but only gingerly and slowly. It's a light machine and can't take huge cuts, but it has a lot of other good qualities to make up for it.

We have a 2008 TM-2 (non-P, so, 4000rpm and no enclosure). It's a good machine and I think it would be good for starting out because it doesn't have a lot of quirks to slow you down when you're just starting out, it's easy to use and program, and there are lots of parts and helps out there. Based on what we paid for ours, $24k sounds about comparable to our deal which seemed good (if it's in good condition, I think it's important to look at it in person before pulling the trigger). The guy who owned it said they did some titanium with it, I've seen videos of people doing it, it looks possible to do but only gingerly and slowly. It's a light machine and can't take huge cuts, but it has a lot of other good qualities to make up for it.

From what I've heard, it is pretty easy to bump up the spindle speeds and the rapids with fairly simple changes to the parameters. Even though your machine has the same spindle and servos as the other machines, I certainly wouldn't recommend it since that drastically increases your chances of cutting off a finger. Please don't do a Google search to figure out how, I don't want to get sued.

From what I've heard, it is pretty easy to bump up the spindle speeds and the rapids with fairly simple changes to the parameters. Even though your machine has the same spindle and servos as the other machines, I certainly wouldn't recommend it since that drastically increases your chances of cutting off a finger. Please don't do a Google search to figure out how, I don't want to get sued.

Yeah, I'm definitely *not* interested in higher spindle speeds and rapids.......

We had a 2007 TM-2 which got traded in for a VM-3 last year. It's a very fine machine for what it's supposed to do. One thing I think you get with the TM-2P is an enclosure, which you definitely want, especially with a 6000rpm spindle. It's a serious prototyping machine and our guys did a lot of serious device prototyping in serious materials like 17-4 and even tungsten. It's fine for smaller parts in those materials as long as you're prepared to be patient!

Between those two the Haas wins hands down, just a lot more machine. The nice thing about a TM as your first machine is the level of support and tutorials, and they hold resale value well.

We had a TM-1, and while I'm not going to bash it, the Sharp 2412 we replaced it with is way better for everything except X travel and control ease of use.

Yep, You can really zip up those rapids (Non P models). I found the parameters to change the rapid and excel/decel. I managed to get it up to about 400IPM before I realized why they had it capped at 200. Those spring loaded handle retract springs don't handle inertia very well and hurt like hell smacking your knuckles when they let go.......

Back