What's new
What's new

HAAS VF0 2000 - X axis noise, and overload alarm

Dangle_kt

Aluminum
I bought a VF0 2000 from an auction, and have slowly been working through getting it ready for use.

All the axis were running fine, no heavy loads on the meters etc.

However I have been away for 5 days, came in and during machine warm up noticed a funny noise, like an intermitent squeek.

I couldn't figure what it was, until the spindle stopped warmup cycle, then it became obvious that the X axis was loading up (it wasn;t moving) but the servo was buzzing and then there was an odd squeel noise - almost like it was loading up the shaft until is span or something.

Anyway, I tried to jog the machine, assuming it just needed to move from the current location, when I tried to jog it in X it JERKED along really oddly, so no movement for a couple of seconds and then it would jump an inch and then repeat as I jogged it.

I powered off the machine.

On restart it will not home in X, I get alarm 103 (servo error too large).

So I overrode setting 53 - jog w/o zero return.

Now the machine will move in X just very jerky, and I get alarm 108 servo overload every few inches.

currently the machine is stuck with the table to the extreme left (under the tool changer) and I can't jog it away.

I want to remove the way covers (not done that before, my current machine is a HAAS TM1 which doesn;t have covers) - but from the HAAS video, it looks like I need to move the table away from the way covers to have access.

After a bit of a search it sounds like it might be the X axis ball nut or thrust bearing, I have also seen a reference to the servo brake, unsure if that is even on this age machine - any assistance would be great.

Calling out the tech is at least £1k just in travel time before he works, and the machine is a 2000, so not sure throwing tech time at it is the best idea (plus I can;t afford it, I cleared my account to buy and rig it here)

Any advice on moving the table (I dont want to destroy anything by forcing it along the full travel of the table inch by inch resetting the alarm each time!), removing the way covers with the table under the tool changer, and any tests on the thrust/servo/ball nut and potential costs would be very helpful

Thanks

Back