What's new
What's new

Hacks/Tricks/Tips for ProtoTrak AGE 3?

rpseguin

Stainless
Anybody have a DNC key for a ProtoTrak MX3 or A.G.E. 3 control?

I’m getting a Trak DPM with an A.G.E. 3 control and would like to be able to drip feed/DNC to it.

Recommended tricks/tips/changes/hacks/fixes/standard operating procedures for a Trak DPM with AGE 3 control?

Beware of the floppy disk drives failing, they are getting old. I was all set to do the homebrew upgrade to USB emulators when the main module needed repair because a servo drive failed. I exchanged it for a rebuilt from SWI and it came with emulators already in it, I'm breathing a lot better now, I absolutely hated pulling the floppy out to copy programs. FWIW, I hooked up a USB/DNC device to the RS232 to avoid using the floppy, I don't have to use that now. Knowing what I know now, I'd just contact them for the emulators and correct usb sticks, their prices are reasonable.

SWI has downloadable files to create new operating system floppies and service manuals on their website.

Beware of the floppy disk drives failing, they are getting old. I was all set to do the homebrew upgrade to USB emulators when the main module needed repair because a servo drive failed. I exchanged it for a rebuilt from SWI and it came with emulators already in it, I'm breathing a lot better now, I absolutely hated pulling the floppy out to copy programs. FWIW, I hooked up a USB/DNC device to the RS232 to avoid using the floppy, I don't have to use that now. Knowing what I know now, I'd just contact them for the emulators and correct usb sticks, their prices are reasonable.

SWI has downloadable files to create new operating system floppies and service manuals on their website.

Thanks for your response!
I was planning ahead in some ways:
-I bought a disk-on module SSD
-bought a spare floppy emulator

Can you elaborate on the USB/DNC to RS-232? Do you have the DNC key?

I was also thinking I might eventually put in an LCD to replace the CRT and a PCI VGA card.

Thanks!

I don't have a DNC key to get you but do you really need one? I have a 1998 MX3.
My floppy died in 2013 and we replaced them with emulators. We made our own boot disc by copying the disc in the machine. That would be harder now because who has a floppy drive anymore.
I have used DNC in the past but not for years. I load my programs onto a stick and run it from the floppy. The machine sees the emulator as the floppy. I can run full 3 axis that way.
My monitor also died at that time. I found OmniVision in Glendale Heights IL. They were just starting the making of LCD replacements for the MX3. They are a direct replacement so no messing around to make it fit or work. Completely plug and play. Everything has been flawless since.

A little follow on.
At the time SWI would not support the use of emulators so they were of no help in doing the change over.
It's good to hear that they are now on board with them and are willing to help with the change over.

I don't have a DNC key to get you but do you really need one? I have a 1998 MX3.
My floppy died in 2013 and we replaced them with emulators. We made our own boot disc by copying the disc in the machine. That would be harder now because who has a floppy drive anymore.
I have used DNC in the past but not for years. I load my programs onto a stick and run it from the floppy. The machine sees the emulator as the floppy. I can run full 3 axis that way.
My monitor also died at that time. I found OmniVision in Glendale Heights IL. They were just starting the making of LCD replacements for the MX3. They are a direct replacement so no messing around to make it fit or work. Completely plug and play. Everything has been flawless since.

Glad to hear that you can do 3 axis off the floppy.
I was worried/thinking things were 2.5 axis if no DNC key.
LCD will happen if/when the monitor dies.

Thanks!
-Ralph

I do have a DNC key so I can't say with 100% certainty that the floppy gives full 3 axis without one but I would think so since the program should be loading in a different way. I forgot to say something about the cable connection to the machine.
I'm using a USB to serial adapter cable. I was hooked up from a serial port on the computer but since computers no longer have serial ports the adapter cable is used. I didn't have to change anything to use the adapter cable. Again plug and play.

Can you elaborate on the USB/DNC to RS-232? Do you have the DNC key?

I don't have the dongle/key. I used a Highland DNC adapter, I use them on other machines also - Highland DNC, LLC.

You don't need the key to use the RS232 port, you just need it to drip feed large programs. Unless you are doing die work your programs probably aren't going to be so big that you need to drip feed.

The MX3 is a newer control, I think it does 3D without any tricks. I'm not entirely sure how much the AGE3 will do with or without the key. My machine came with a program on it that did contouring, and it ran without the key, but I can't say it was real 3D contouring

I don't have the dongle/key. I used a Highland DNC adapter, I use them on other machines also - Highland DNC, LLC.

You don't need the key to use the RS232 port, you just need it to drip feed large programs. Unless you are doing die work your programs probably aren't going to be so big that you need to drip feed.

The MX3 is a newer control, I think it does 3D without any tricks. I'm not entirely sure how much the AGE3 will do with or without the key. My machine came with a program on it that did contouring, and it ran without the key, but I can't say it was real 3D contouring

The ProtoTrak DNC key actually is an unlock key/dongle that attaches to the parallel port of the ProtoTrak computer (just a PC). The ProtoTrak software checks for this key and if it is attached, it enables DNC/dripfeed.

I’m more interested in just having the machine being able to do bolt circles, pockets, contours, without me having to position the Z axis. I am not as interested in 3D contouring.

I'm not being clear in my terminology. The machine is an MX3 the control is an AGE3. It's a 1998 machine. You're right about the RS232. If you download with the RS232 the machine will only do 2 1/2 axis. From the floppy/emulator it will do full 3 axis. With the DNC key it will do full 3 axis by dripfeed. I don't know how large a program you can do with a USB stick but running it from the floppy the controller downloads it in blocks the same as DNC so you should be able to run something as large as the stick will hold.

I’m more interested in just having the machine being able to do bolt circles, pockets, contours, without me having to position the Z axis. I am not as interested in 3D contouring.

It will do that fine without the key. AGE3 mode will power feed the Z axis. If you want to use the quill by hand you have to run it in AGE2 mode, or it will feedhold(or estop, I forget which) when you move the quill.

I haven't found a way to tap with it in 3D mode, we have to run it in 2D and run the quill by hand with a tapping head, that's our only real frustration with it, we'd use it a lot more if we could automatically tap.
(I don't often run this machine myself, that's why I can't answer all questions in depth. I just fix it and pay for it.)

If you're drilling and tapping it's much better to run it in AGE2 mode. I think it's faster to use the quill manually than with the control. Maybe if you were fancy with the program you could get a taping head to work. I have used a taping head in the machine but it's generally easier to power tap if you dare or just tap by hand. The nice thing is the speed of positioning to do the drilling and taping.
The nice thing about using the floppy is that with full 3 axis you can ramp down in pockets and contours which you can't do in 2 1/2 axis. It's much easier on your cutters.
The biggest problem with the control is that it won't store tool offsets. Every time you load a new program you have to set tool offsets again. Because of that I don't load full programs, I just load what one tool does and set that Z zero, run through that part of the program then load the next bit of it.
I'm not doing production so I've found that easier for me. If I was doing multiple parts and had everything sorted out I would input all the Z offsets and run as many parts as I needed to.

Thanks for the responses!!

So, it sounds like 3 axis machining will be fine from floppy/emulator, so I won’t stress too much over DNC key.
In the unlikely event I get some time, I might look at disassembling the executable and finding where it checks on the DNC key to enable drip/DNC and then “fixing” it.

For setting offsets, it sounds like I should have some reference tool/holder and just touch off with that and every other tool can be set accordingly

Back