What's new
What's new

Haggling with Haas

rattmanndoo

Plastic
Just recieved a quote from Haas for a VF 1 with the options I want. Are these prices firm or is it worth my time to haggle for a better price.

Dave

Generally, the more options you get, the more flexible they are on price. I would definitely ask your salesman if there is any room to move.

Get some pricing from other resellers on some other comparable machine and start hammering them. Our reseller dropped the price on a new VF3SS another 5K after we told him what Doosan had quoted.

Yeah have to get quotes from other people. Okuma is very well priced these days with some killer deals. Nice to check out pricing and start with that as a negotiation. They are alot more flexible when you have something in front of you instead of .... "awww com'mon what can you do for me." At the least you will give the salesman an excuse to lower the price to his higher ups. Without that excuse all the begging in the world won't mean much.

Dave,

Look at other MTD's offerings, and compare apples to apples.
I've done that on all of my machine purchases, and you will be surprised what Haas may do when they see a price from Okuma, Doosan, or Hurco.
I play them against one another all the time. Sometimes it works great. Other times you only get a couple of free print magnets and a coffee cup.:nutter:

Doug.

(of course you could end up with a couple of Haas's, an Okuma, and a Hurco like me! lol)

I second the playing one off against the other. Works pretty much on any machinery in any industry too. Just stick with the real numbers, the sales guys often have a very good idea just what the competition will really drop there prices down too.

"The bitterness of poor quality (or service) far outlasts the sweetness of a low price."

Keep in mind when you take away someone's money, they are taking it from somewhere else. Service? Support? Apps? Response time? Quality of replacement parts? Attention? Who knows....

Certainly am not against negotiating. But it is in everyone's best interest that it be a "win-win"

Good luck! BTW - we got some pretty cool print magnets AND coffee cups!! Doug - you did get the nice stainless steel cups, right?

"The bitterness of poor quality (or service) far outlasts the sweetness of a low price."

Keep in mind when you take away someone's money, they are taking it from somewhere else. Service? Support? Apps? Response time? Quality of replacement parts? Attention? Who knows....

Certainly am not against negotiating. But it is in everyone's best interest that it be a "win-win"

Good luck! BTW - we got some pretty cool print magnets AND coffee cups!! Doug - you did get the nice stainless steel cups, right?

Uhhh, maybe "from profit"?

I agree that it should be a win/win, but nobody is forcing a machinery dealer to accept a price, nor is the machinery dealer forcing a customer to pay a price. Surely if the customer will not pay a price that makes it a "win" for the dealer, then the dealer will just say "no thanks" and move on, right? I don't think the buyer has any responsibility to make sure the seller is making enough on the deal.

I have purchased a dozen or so Haas machines over the years, and generally speaking, I have always paid the published price with about a 2-5% discount.

My opinion is they can always work a better price. Haas is less likely to lower the pricing than Doosan or Okuma. Make an offer....can't hurt. If you are completely set on a Haas and won't consider any other brands....they've got you by the balls and they know it.

From the pricing I've seen Haas needs to be dropping their $$ instead of raising it. Lots of new competitor machines with Much more power and accuracy competing w/ Haas now... (Okuma, Doosan, and even Mikino).

Phone up a few other brands and get get quotes and ask them to take you to show you some of their happy customers and see the machine running. It has always helped me out. You have a big leg to stand on if you can say "I'm just going out with Mr Smith today to see some of his sold machines in action". Not only does it get salesman nervous about their pricing and quality of service but you will actually find out for yourself if you are getting ripped off or not. I was looking at a VF2 about 3 years ago. They Haas had already quoted me and when I told the Haas sales crew that I had already looked at other machines in action and had received other quotes, which was true, all of a sudden I got quite a few options added on to their quote at a decent discount.

Back