What's new
What's new

Hamer 3d Taster or haff-schneider?

mmurray70

Stainless
Looking at buying a Haimer but I really dont like the fact that I need to pass the zero point twice to get on center. I feel like my workers will eventually find a way to go to zero once and then set the origin wrong. Has anybody made this mistake or is it not worth worrying about?

I saw this model from haff-schneider and you just go to zero and set it and done. I like this idea much better. But nobody talks about these? Are they as good as the Haimers? Where can I buy these? 3D Measuring Sensor Analogue | Haff & Schneider

Any others worth looking at? Is there a model from Haimer that works like this?

I see Tschorn for sale in the Travers catalog occasionally. I have a Haimer. I don't have other workers using it. I've never messed up the origin myself, knock on wood.

Looking at buying a Haimer but I really dont like the fact that I need to pass the zero point twice to get on center. I feel like my workers will eventually find a way to go to zero once and then set the origin wrong. Has anybody made this mistake or is it not worth worrying about?

I saw this model from haff-schneider and you just go to zero and set it and done. I like this idea much better. But nobody talks about these? Are they as good as the Haimers? Where can I buy these? 3D Measuring Sensor Analogue | Haff & Schneider

Any others worth looking at? Is there a model from Haimer that works like this?

I have never had an employee only go 1 time around and set the zero incorrectly. They are more apt to try and go 3 times around and need a new tip. The Haff&Schneider does look like a nice edge finder as well, although the graduations look a little goofy as you approach the zero.

I have the haff and schneider and it seems well made and works well. MSC sells it as an SPI but when I got it there's nothing that says SPI on it, just H&S. Saw it on sale for about 200 off recently also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We have both. I prefer the H&S only because it allows you to get into tighter areas for probing than the Haimer does. The Haimer does offer a longer probe tip though.

Making a full revolution is actually safer in my opinion because it shows the operator just how close they are if they happen to be moving at a faster rate than a slow rate.

Making a full revolution is actually safer in my opinion because it shows the operator just how close they are if they happen to be moving at a faster rate than a slow rate.

Yeah I considered that too. Haimer has bigger range of travel, for when the part sneaks up on you a little too fast. Thats a plus for sure.

But I really am liking the fact that the H&S has one zero point and thats it. One more possible failure avoided.

I just ordered a replacement Haimer from the one I crunched last week
:wall:
382.00 delivered from MSC .Maybe I should buy two?

Thats the best price I could find.

Think im going to try the H&F. I emailed them from their website and they sent me contact info to distributor in Canada right away. And they got back to me with price pretty quick. Only $493 CAD. Seems fair. Thanks to all that posted.

I contemplated this same purchase between the Haimer and the H&S. We went H&S. The H&S is great and is deadly accurate.

Look in Hoffmann Group catalog. From when I shopped around, they beat everybody's price for the H&S 3d tester

The H&S has plenty of travel. Approx 3/16" from rest to zero, and 7/16" of overtravel past zero. I have 2 H&S and a SPI version. Have yet to damamge one.

The H&S has plenty of travel. Approx 3/16" from rest to zero, and 7/16" of overtravel past zero. I have 2 H&S and a SPI version. Have yet to damamge one.

I got my H&S today. Nice little tool. No longer worried about the travel issue. You have a full 2mm (+/-1 on the dial) plus there is a little bit extra before and fair bit after the scale too. Should be fine.

Im glad I bought this over the haimer. The single zero point feature will be worthwhile for us for sure. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Is that H&S taster graduated in any kind of meaningful increment? I have a Haimer and I use the fact that it's graduated in thousandths quite a bit. It's pretty often that I'm setting zero on some odd soft jaws to cut the back side off a part. Generally I will have a reference edge on the part, often .01 or so material left over so I will index off that. Other situations too.

Is that H&S taster graduated in any kind of meaningful increment? I have a Haimer and I use the fact that it's graduated in thousandths quite a bit. It's pretty often that I'm setting zero on some odd soft jaws to cut the back side off a part. Generally I will have a reference edge on the part, often .01 or so material left over so I will index off that. Other situations too.

Yes its graduated in .05mm increments. Close to zero point it has 0.01mm increments.

CNCtoolcat, I saw the Tschorn as well. Looks like nice unit but it has same issue I didnt like with the Haimer.

Can anyone tell me if the tip on the Haff is magnetic material like carbide? We use magnets for clamping here and the Haimer's carbide tip is acting crazy when we use it.

Can anyone tell me if the tip on the Haff is magnetic material like carbide? We use magnets for clamping here and the Haimer's carbide tip is acting crazy when we use it.

Yes it is magnetic.
They may offer non magnetic tips. I'd check their website.

Back